What's new

Snyder to step down - Woj

Also Locke didn't drop any hints about Rudy being gone. If anything it sounded like he might be staying (but he really didn't give anything either way from my listen)
The more I digest the Quin news the more I am not sure big changes are coming. The phrasing of some of his comments are kind of like "this is the group... I can't get them to listen... I don't think the group changes... its best they get a new voice or someone with a new perspective".

You could also read it as anti-Don, anti-Rudy (though less likely), or just as a read of the market for all our other guys and knowing things won't change. Could also take it as "hey... Donovan listens to Wade more than me... so I'm out".

I think the long and short of it was that he knows he's headed to SA and will have 8-10 year run there... so why wait while we sort out our issues that he's tried but failed to fix... and the issues with this group likely only get louder and worse.

The only thing I am a little upset with Quin on is it seemed like he didn't fire all the bullets in the motivation chamber. Like he never did the tough talk thing in the media or "wake up" thing where he loses his **** on the guys to maybe get through. Likely didn't think it would work... but his helicopter mom routine this last year was cringy.

I mean how can you really say that? We went from
top-5 to bottom-5 in offensive rating in the playoffs.

Playoffs are incredibly small samples. We went from top 5 to no. 12. While we shot 27% from 3. This is almost completely luck based! Watch the actual games and the type of shots and offense we are getting. We didn't have problem creating good shots against Dallas, we didn't have trouble creating good shots against LAC or MEM last year. We didn't have trouble creating good offense against DEN. Hell, even in the last HOU series we created tons and tons of good shots but couldn't hit anything. The offense was not the problem in any of those. Our perimeter defenders not being able to guard anyone and not being able to do basic rotations was the huge problem.

The Jazz have a systemic problem with the way the team is built and the way it plays. All of these grumblings and tensions and finger-pointings are just fallout from the way Dennis Lindsey put together the team.

Mitchell + Conley + Gobert = 1st or 2nd-round exit. So the Jazz didn't live up to high expectations. Now changes are going to occur and some people's egos are going to get bruised.

Playoffs are incredibly small samples. We went from top 5 to no. 12. While we shot 27% from 3. This is almost completely luck based! Watch the actual games and the type of shots and offense we are getting. We didn't have problem creating good shots against Dallas, we didn't have trouble creating good shots against LAC or MEM last year. We didn't have trouble creating good offense against DEN. Hell, even in the last HOU series we created tons and tons of good shots but couldn't hit anything. The offense was not the problem in any of those. Our perimeter defenders not being able to guard anyone and not being able to do basic rotations was the huge problem.

Nobody is saying defense wasn’t the main problem. I just can’t fathom how you can say offense wasn’t either. This team needs another creator and playmaker.

Nobody is saying defense wasn’t the main problem. I just can’t fathom how you can say offense wasn’t either. This team needs another creator and playmaker.
We sure do. I would never say a team needs less creators or playmakers. But I would say our offense was not the anywhere close to the main culprit in any of our playoff woes. And this is especially true when we are talking about the offensive system and Quin's coaching(which is what we are talking about here). We absolutely do need better personnel and very few teams ever go all the way if they don't have multiple players who can create offense at a high level. But we didn't have that. And Quin did VERY well both in the regular season and in the playoffs with what he had. Offensively...

Defensively is a completely different story and this is where my main gripes with his coaching are.

We sure do. I would never say a team needs less creators or playmakers. But I would say our offense was not the anywhere close to the main culprit in any of our playoff woes. And this is especially true when we are talking about the offensive system and Quin's coaching(which is what we are talking about here. We absolutely do need better personnel and very few teams ever go all the way if they don't have multiple players who can create offense at a high level. But we didn't have that. And Quin did VERY well both in the regular season and in the playoffs with what he had. Offensively...

Defensively is a completely different story and this is where my main gripes with his coaching are.

100% agree with this. His lack of adjustments or making them too late were his biggest downfalls.

A good offense works even when a team knows it is coming. It is what I loved about UCLA. So many options resulting in efficient basketball. And as I've said before, Quin's offense largely let the opponents stand around essentially getting rest. I want to see something with more off ball cuts and ball movement. I'm fine with a lot of 3s, but need much more than that to compete in the playoffs.
And acting like going to the post when we create mismatches isn't a crime.

6 game sample size and was mostly due to our two starting guards shooting horribly

That is because of the adjustments that opponents make against us and we are incapable of adjusting to. In the playoffs teams are able to make adjustments and take us out of our rhythm pretty easily.