What's new

So who's here's a soccer fan?

For someone who doesn't follow much but the World Cup and Euro Cup, how big a deal would it be if we won teh gold cup?

dat jazzfanz.com mobile app doe

Well considering we are fielding our B team it's not as significant as Fox Soccer will have you believe but still would be great to win. Our A team is focusing on the world cup qualifiers, biggest one is against Mexico in September and I just got my tickets for it.

Well considering we are fielding our B team it's not as significant as Fox Soccer will have you believe but still would be great to win. Our A team is focusing on the world cup qualifiers, biggest one is against Mexico in September and I just got my tickets for it.

Where is the game???

I see. Thanks.

Gold Cup IS a bit of a big deal... it's the gateway to the Confederations Cup, which would be another great tourney for our A team to participate in. So ya... it's kind of a big deal.

This was probably the best game that team USA has ever played, second best USA vs Itally 2006(only team Italy didn't beat in route to there World Cup championship)

Was beyond pissed when the ref didn't call the hand ball (starting at 4:18 in video)

Yup. The handball was redonk.

Me and my friend stayed up and watched all the World Cup US games in the middle of the night that year. I still hate Oliver Kahn too.

I'm not entirely sure if rules got modified in the last decade, but by nowadays' rules that's not a handball...A handball requires the player to make an unnatural and active movement. The defender's arm is like glued to his body, if anything it moves slightly away from it. It's a deflection from within 4yards, not within human reaction time and since his arm wasn't in an illegal position it's the right call. I'd rather say the ball might have been behind the line.
Btw Oliver Kahn has always been my fav player...His hometown/birthplace is the city in which I study coincidentally. His nickname "The Titan" is also very appropriate...
Because of that game and the semifinal I lost a bet and had to get a mohawk haircut...

Gold Cup IS a bit of a big deal... it's the gateway to the Confederations Cup, which would be another great tourney for our A team to participate in. So ya... it's kind of a big deal.

Exactly, it is KIND OF a big deal, if it was a BIG DEAL we would play our best players. The Confederations Cup would be great, I agree, and beating Spain last time was awesome, but I was answering Ugli's question, and the games leading us to qualify for the Confederations Cup are not as big as the games leading us to qualify for the World Cup.

I'm not entirely sure if rules got modified in the last decade, but by nowadays' rules that's not a handball...A handball requires the player to make an unnatural and active movement. The defender's arm is like glued to his body, if anything it moves slightly away from it. It's a deflection from within 4yards, not within human reaction time and since his arm wasn't in an illegal position it's the right call.

LMAO ok bro

I so want to go... Flying out is a possibility... How much was ur tickets??

$72 each through Sam's Army. Both Sam's Army and American Outlaws sold their allotments, and now the public tickets are for sale in a lottery where you put in your order and after the few day period they randomly select who gets to buy the tickets.

That's the downside of having the game in Columbus at Crew Stadium, they could sell 90,000 seats for this game i'm sure, but to ensure a pro-US crowd they put the game away from population centers and in a relatively small stadium to keep Mexican fans out. They've played this game in Columbus for at least the last 3 world cup cycles, before that I think they had it in the Rose Bowl but had a 75%+ pro Mexico crowd.

$72 each through Sam's Army. Both Sam's Army and American Outlaws sold their allotments, and now the public tickets are for sale in a lottery where you put in your order and after the few day period they randomly select who gets to buy the tickets.

That's the downside of having the game in Columbus at Crew Stadium, they could sell 90,000 seats for this game i'm sure, but to ensure a pro-US crowd they put the game away from population centers and in a relatively small stadium to keep Mexican fans out. They've played this game in Columbus for at least the last 3 world cup cycles, before that I think they had it in the Rose Bowl but had a 75%+ pro Mexico crowd.

Gotchya!!

Exactly, it is KIND OF a big deal, if it was a BIG DEAL we would play our best players. The Confederations Cup would be great, I agree, and beating Spain last time was awesome, but I was answering Ugli's question, and the games leading us to qualify for the Confederations Cup are not as big as the games leading us to qualify for the World Cup.

Yep yep yep

I wonder if there's someplace cool to go watch the game Wednesday night....? Don't the Outlaws congregate somewhere downtown to watch the game?

I'm only interested in soccer as it applies to my daughter. I've coached a few youth teams and have had an unbelievable time doing so...absolutely the best thing I've ever done! But outside of watching a few World Cup or Olympic matches, I don't really follow it. Oh yeah, I did enjoy the time Brandi Chastain ripped off her shirt!

I wonder if there's someplace cool to go watch the game Wednesday night....? Don't the Outlaws congregate somewhere downtown to watch the game?

IDK about the Outlaws, but the RCB (supporters club for RSL), generally head to the Republican, at least they did as of a couple years ago. Pretty cool bar and soccer of some sort is usually on the tvs.

It's a turf/carpet, yeah. In the first picture is pretty close to what the field looked like that I played on growing up. Indoor is a nice change of pace and fun during the winter with all the snow outside. Or even during the summer in between different tournaments. The youth leagues in Utah are fall/spring with tournaments throughout the summertime and nothing during winter (That's when many kids play the local rec basketball leagues, Jr. Jazz, which is pretty popular there). People play indoor soccer year round though at different comp levels with co-ed offered as well.

indoor-soccer.jpg

6814507325_a07bd37f69.jpg

4-10-2007-2-31-37-PM-10116631.jpg

Are those last couple pics from Ultimate Indoor? My 9 year old daughter plays comp level and they play there during the winter a lot. Now they seem to be transitioning to Just Futsal though.

Kind of, but for the US team I would consider it to be nice but nothing that huge a deal. Mostly because the US won it four times already. Still Mexico has won it 6 times, so if they can win it by beating Mexico it would be doubly sweet, as it would push the US closer to the most wins and because beating Mexico just in general is always sweet.

On another note, I wish both Americas would have a pan American tournament that could rival (not totally, but at least be maybe the third best international tournament in the world) the Euro Cup. It sucks that the only really meaningful tournament for the US is the World Cup (and qualifying).

I think it takes a special piece of **** to not only support some other country over the one you live in, but to go to a freaking game on your country's soil and cheer against your country. That's chutzpah.

Kind of, but for the US team I would consider it to be nice but nothing that huge a deal. Mostly because the US won it four times already. Still Mexico has won it 6 times, so if they can win it by beating Mexico it would be doubly sweet, as it would push the US closer to the most wins and because beating Mexico just in general is always sweet.

On another note, I wish both Americas would have a pan American tournament that could rival (not totally, but at least be maybe the third best international tournament in the world) the Euro Cup. It sucks that the only really meaningful tournament for the US is the World Cup (and qualifying).
Do you mean the UEFA European Football Championship? If so many regard that tournament as the highest/most competitive in the world, even above the FIFA World Cup as its talent depth is superior to the WC. The beauty of the World Cup is though, that you get to see teams from every part of the world in the preliminary round and sometimes beyond as in 2010, when a lot of European powerhouses had a change of generation that didn't work out. I wouldn't be surprised to see 6/8 Euro teams in the quarter finals, 3/4 in the semis(2010 it was 6/16 in the eightsfinals, with 3 inner European matchups, and all 3 of the winners made it into the semis...)
So from a quality POV it's
EURO > WC > rest