What's new

Start Mitchell at the Point.

Windhorst mentioned DM playing point on his pod and said he talked with Jazz folks and they think playing pg will wear DM out... doesn't sound like they are really even considering it.

I think he needs someone that can create a little bit more instead of Favs/Royce, but I think it's really workable. If Ingles could share the floor more with him and we had more creation on the second unit I think it still works.

I love our FO and coaching staff but sometimes I think they miss obvious opportunities and I'm not sure why.

One thing of note... we've turned the ball over a lot less. I know the new cool thing is to say "turnovers don't matter" but they do. I think they might affect defense more than offense though. Less live ball turnovers means less transition opportunities. When our defense is set we lock **** down.
It's like we have an intelligent front office and coaching staff or something.

If our current numbers continue and we keep winning games, DM will play more PG. Our front office would be stupid not to play him there if the results are there.

However, our current situation is not sustainable. We can't play him there full time. We need Rubio or Exum back.

So the solution is in the middle. Not where we were before the injuries but also not here. Something balanced between the 2. Which means Rubio OR Exum is unnecessary going forward (maybe by 2/7 or more likely this summer).

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I just don't think we can maximize DM and Ricky while they are on the court together. They can work but Ricky running the action doesn't scare the defense as much as Joe and DM in my opinion. He can initiate and help carry the load... work with the second unit more... but when he comes back I want him more offball (might do well as a spot up option in the corner)... obviously this is not his ideal use.

So does he limit the wear and tear so much on donovan that the limited offball value is worth the price to keep him? Is he a better defender than Royce?

The current starting lineup has only two guys that can really create/initiate offense... long-term that is an issue and will wear guys out... but if we got a little creation from either Royce or Favs spot I think we'd be more than okay long term.

The second unit is **** show right now. Korver and Jae are both good, but I don't like splitting Ingles and DM up and I don't like Allen running that group.

The current starting lineup has only two guys that can really create/initiate offense... long-term that is an issue and will wear guys out... but if we got a little creation from either Royce or Favs spot I think we'd be more than okay long term.

The second unit is **** show right now. Korver and Jae are both good, but I don't like splitting Ingles and DM up and I don't like Allen running that group.
I liked you post, but the bolded part made me think of Jiminy Cricket: "When you wish upon a star..."

i like getting a stud wing and moving Joe t o the 2nd unit. Might improve his performance if he were to play fewer minutes.

i like getting a stud wing and moving Joe t o the 2nd unit. Might improve his performance if he were to play fewer minutes.
What? You just play him fewer minutes then. He thrives because he excels at playing with great players and they excel when they play with him. He won't get off good shots on the second unit and his skillset is basically wasted (spacing for who? passing to who? defending who?).

Since we're in this thread, it's worth mentioning that you could and should play this fantasy stud wing next to both Ingles and Mitchell.

What? You just play him fewer minutes then. He thrives because he excels at playing with great players and they excel when they play with him. He won't get off good shots on the second unit and his skillset is basically wasted (spacing for who? passing to who? defending who?).

Since we're in this thread, it's worth mentioning that you can play this fantasy stud wing next to both Ingles and Mitchell.

All of this.

Since we're in this thread, it's worth mentioning that you can play this fantasy stud wing next to both Ingles and Mitchell.
And the stud wing - and Mitchell - are options 1a and 1b, not to mention still running P&R and getting Rudy touches. That further decreases opportunities for Ingles. Besides, if you look at what's happening now with the injuries, Ingles is essentially the play maker when Donovan sits. He'd get plenty of opportunities on the 2nd unit. He and KK would be the main guys, with Dante (a non-scorer) at PG.

FYI, since Dec 1, the Clippers’ defensive rating is 27th in the league. So for all the people trying to make serious hay from last nights game, use a little caution.

When are you going to drop this line of ********?
As soon as I see evidence to the contrary. Joe started off the season hot and has declined since. He either forgot how to shoot, is injured, or has tired legs, which affects anyone's shots. Or don't you believe fatigue plays a factor? If it doesn't, basketball should just adopt a baseball-like schedule, instead of trying to cut down on the number of back-to-backs for teams, and the 4 in 5 nights, etc.

Ingles played 24 mins/per in Hayward's final year. He's averaging 31/per last year and this one. Players slow down with age; Ingles is 31 yrs old. At some point, heavy mins will start taking a toll, if they haven't already.

Last edited:
As soon as I see evidence to the contrary. Joe started off the season hot and has declined since. He either forgot how to shoot, is injured, or has tired legs, which affects anyone's shots. Or don't you believe fatigue plays a factor. If it doesn't, basketball should just adopt a baseball-like schedule, instead of trying to cut down on the number of back-to-backs for teams, and the 4 in 5 nights, etc.
He can play fewer minutes with the starters? It's like you're not listening. Joe is best when playing with Donovan and Rudy.

FYI, since Dec 1, the Clippers’ defensive rating is 27th in the league. So for all the people trying to make serious hay from last nights game, use a little caution.

All of these games are "grain of salt" games unfortunately due to level of competition. The thing I liked last night with DM is that Bradley/Beverly are no joke and were clearly unleashed on him... and he didn't flinch. If they had a rim protector maybe it gets ugly.

He can play fewer minutes with the starters? It's like you're not listening. Joe is best when playing with Donovan and Rudy.

Joe is an altruistic perfect glue guy... not an off the bench scorer type. He can ramp up or lower his usage based on how guys are playing... he also does not care about his own numbers or scoring attempts. I want that guy starting and finishing games... Give him a few less minutes, but not for his sake... because it is unfair to the other team to play him that much.

I'm not sure how true this is as I think he's been great on that bench unit when Exum was healthy and Ingles had secondary play maker role and Favs as the big guy just like he's great with Donovan while Ingles is the secondary play maker and Gobert as the big guy. But he's not the guy who should be the primary play maker for a team which he's had to been recently with Allen at point on that bench unit.

But he's a starter and should continue to start, the more minutes he gets to play with Donovan and Gobert the better the Jazz are. He's the guy that most consistently can make a defense pay if they try to overload on Donovan or on Gobert with his 3pt shooting and his crafty ability to get to the rim. Rubio when hot is the more dangerous secondary threat in the starting group but Ingles is the most consistent.

And the stud wing - and Mitchell - are options 1a and 1b, not to mention still running P&R and getting Rudy touches. That further decreases opportunities for Ingles. Besides, if you look at what's happening now with the injuries, Ingles is essentially the play maker when Donovan sits. He'd get plenty of opportunities on the 2nd unit. He and KK would be the main guys, with Dante (a non-scorer) at PG.
Ya Ingles has more assists to favors than anyone else. I think of favors more as a second unit player

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

But the player he assists the most is favors despite the fact that favors plays less minutes than DM and Rudy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app