What's new

Start Mitchell at the Point.

I just don't think we can maximize DM and Ricky while they are on the court together. They can work but Ricky running the action doesn't scare the defense as much as Joe and DM in my opinion. He can initiate and help carry the load... work with the second unit more... but when he comes back I want him more offball (might do well as a spot up option in the corner)... obviously this is not his ideal use.

So does he limit the wear and tear so much on donovan that the limited offball value is worth the price to keep him? Is he a better defender than Royce?

I really like this point. This is the exact problem with Ricky/Donovan. The reason I like Dante more (even though he's not a great shooter either) is that he is probably the best Jazz player at breaking the paint consistently in PnR. He's a threat that has to be accounted for, and collapses the defense consistently. This last month or so he was making the right plays pretty much every time as well. I think DM and Exum could work pretty well sharing some of those responsibilities (Exum more often early, and Mitchell near the end of halves/quarters). This would allow Joe to spot up a bit more instead of having to carry such a huge load all the time. He looks exhausted having to handle it so much. I think as he gets older they are going to want to start tapering his minutes more.

Anyway, I'm on team move on from Ricky because I really believe he is limiting the team's ceiling. He's a good player, but not a good fit on the court.

Could part of that be because Rubio gobert and Crowder play more minutes than favors and also play more minutes on court with Ingles?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
Considering Ingles plays a lot of minutes on that bench unit with Crowder/Favs as the 4/5 combination and Rubio/Mitchell/Gobert all off the floor I don't think that is too much of a factor, but you're right in saying it would influence it to a degree.

But also watching that bench unit the eye test would suggest that Favors gets more of his passes from Exum than from Ingles in those bench minutes together.

Considering Ingles plays a lot of minutes on that bench unit with Crowder/Favs as the 4/5 combination and Rubio/Mitchell/Gobert all off the floor I don't think that is too much of a factor, but you're right in saying it would influence it to a degree.

But also watching that bench unit the eye test would suggest that Favors gets more of his passes from Exum than from Ingles in those bench minutes together.
Also I think I read your link wrong. I think it accounted for minutes played and minutes on court together. So I was wrong anyway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think Favors is more likely on the team next year than Rubio.
At $17 million and mostly only a postseason C vs small ball lineups, Favors should be gone. His contract is the issue more than the player himself.

With Mitchell, Exum, and Grayson on board, Rubio should probably be gone too unless he is coming off the bench and takes a less than $10 million deal.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think Favors is more likely on the team next year than Rubio.

I hope that is true. Favors is underrated. He can't shoot the 3, but his mid-range is good, and his passing, defense and inside game are all very good. I hoped when the Jazz traded for him that he would develop even more, and I do think he could have worked harder when he was younger, but it is clear to me that he works very hard now and is a good teammate.

The worst part about Favors potentially going somewhere else is that when/if he does, if he gets to play full time C he's going to put up some great stats and there'll be at least one Jazzfanz thread saying that letting go of Favors was a mistake and DL sucks while completely ignoring that the only reason the Jazz would let go of Favors in the first place is because we have Gobert.

The worst part about Favors potentially going somewhere else is that when/if he does, if he gets to play full time C he's going to put up some great stats and there'll be at least one Jazzfanz thread saying that letting go of Favors was a mistake and DL sucks while completely ignoring that the only reason the Jazz would let go of Favors in the first place is because we have Gobert.
We owe it to Favors to trade him to a place where he can earn his last big contract. He simply won't be a stud with us as long as we have a healthy Gobert.

We owe it to Favors to trade him to a place where he can earn his last big contract. He simply won't be a stud with us as long as we have a healthy Gobert.

I would argue that he's already a stud just not utilised properly because we can't play him 25 - 30 minutes at C but I get your point. Smart teams that are in need of a C (e.g. Mavs) will likely be looking at what the Jazz do with him in the offseason.

I just don't think we can maximize DM and Ricky while they are on the court together. They can work but Ricky running the action doesn't scare the defense as much as Joe and DM in my opinion. He can initiate and help carry the load... work with the second unit more... but when he comes back I want him more offball (might do well as a spot up option in the corner)... obviously this is not his ideal use.

So does he limit the wear and tear so much on donovan that the limited offball value is worth the price to keep him? Is he a better defender than Royce?

I agree with the bolded part and for the rest I don't think Rubio can play offball full time in the NBA and be competitive. His main value is his passing not shooting or attacking the rim. He needs the ball in his hands.

Because of that I actually don't want him back next year if DM can take over at the point.