What's new

Start Mitchell at the Point.

So is anyone going to mention that Donovan Mitchell is getting to the line at, like, three times the rate for the past few games or should someone make a thread about it? This is a huge, huge deal.

I mentioned it in one of my posts.

Last night was pretty eye opening for me... clips blitzed the pick and roll and it wasn’t much of an issue for DM. Bradley and Beverly are mother effers on defense and we were fine... SGA is long but I’m not sure he’s good yet. DM handled it pretty well and they were clearly trying to go at him.

Had a good offensive night and didn’t shoot well from outside...

So is anyone going to mention that Donovan Mitchell is getting to the line at, like, three times the rate for the past few games or should someone make a thread about it? This is a huge, huge deal.
Yeah, it's the result of playing bad defensive teams. Like last night Clippers are a bad defensive team who try to play physically on the perimeter and don't have rim protection, so it leads to a lot of fouls.

I think Donovan’s time at PG is making him a better player and making the Jazz an increasingly better team because of it.

I stand by my comment that his role next to Ricky is to throw up a million shots which both makes him worse and is helping to develop bad habits.

Yeah, it's the result of playing bad defensive teams. Like last night Clippers are a bad defensive team who try to play physically on the perimeter and don't have rim protection, so it leads to a lot of fouls.
And the others? Donovan’s free throw rate previous to this string of games has been consistently pathetic. Bad defense or not (and not all bad defensive teams are bad defensively in the same ways).

Mitchell with 28 points, 6 assists, 3 steals against a very good Clippers side.

- Damian Lillard is averaging 6 assists this season.

- Steph Curry is averaging 5.5 assists this season.

- Kemba Walker is averaging 5.7 assists this season.

Mitchell has been playing the point for 4 games.

But, nah, Mitchell isn't passing the ball well enough to start at the point.

#DominateOverNegativity

#D.O.N.
Again, for the people being weird about this, no one thinks Mitchell can't be a starting PG.

And the others? Donovan’s free throw rate previous to this string of games has been consistently pathetic.
The same thing with Detroit and I think half of Mitchell's FTs in the Bulls game where off intentional fouls and a technical FT. And he still has a lot of bad to mediocre FT drawing nights, like the Lakers/Raptors/Bucks. His FTR for January is .26, which is pretty OK. He hasnt had long enough sample size of high FTR games to say it's any kind of trend.

The same thing with Detroit and I think half of Mitchell's FTs in the Bulls game where off intentional fouls and a technical FT. And he still has a lot of bad to mediocre FT drawing nights, like the Lakers/Raptors/Bucks. His FTR for January is .26, which is pretty OK. He hasnt had long enough sample size of high FTR games to say it's any kind of trend.
While I generally agree and believe in sample sizes, I don’t think it’s the same thing as shots randomly going in for a period of games versus other times.

I mentioned it in one of my posts.

Last night was pretty eye opening for me... clips blitzed the pick and roll and it wasn’t much of an issue for DM. Bradley and Beverly are mother effers on defense and we were fine... SGA is long but I’m not sure he’s good yet. DM handled it pretty well and they were clearly trying to go at him.

Had a good offensive night and didn’t shoot well from outside...

Agreed, but I'd like to seem him do it consistently before the team decides to move a PG. Last year Donovan had a lot of trouble with pressure. I'd also like to see Donovan improve his decision making. He played well, but missed a lot of opportunities to pass to wide open players. Overall he has been doing a tremendous job for a second year player with all he is being asked to do.

Agreed, but I'd like to seem him do it consistently before the team decides to move a PG. Last year Donovan had a lot of trouble with pressure. I'd also like to see Donovan improve his decision making. He played well, but missed a lot of opportunities to pass to wide open players. Overall he has been doing a tremendous job for a second year player with all he is being asked to do.
I don’t think it’s reasonable to be afraid of moving on from ONE PG that bricks us out of as many games as they help win.

I know my analysis isn’t rich with data but come the **** on. You’re blind if you haven’t seen that.

While I generally agree and believe in sample sizes, I don’t think it’s the same thing as shots randomly going in for a period of games versus other times.

It's more random because there are more variables that go into a player's FT attempts that are somewhat out of the players control.

I agree somewhat... I want to see it more and we will get the opportunity with the injury issues we have. He dealt with the pressure very well. He has missed guys underneath at times, but what you and I see on tv is not what they see at court level and sometimes guys don't have an angle to throw a pass.

I think we could mix and match DM with Ingles/Royce/Exum and allocate resources elsewhere and have it work out really well. If Exum develops an outside shot and stays healthy then he can become a starter... if not he's the backup. I don't think Ricky could move into a bench role... so if we are picking between them I would probably lean Exum (he's signed and less established) even though he still is a bit of a mystery box. I'm not sure Ricky needs to come off the bench... but I just don't think we'd have the option with him.

I don’t think it’s reasonable to be afraid of moving on from ONE PG that bricks us out of as many games as they help win.

I know my analysis isn’t rich with data but come the **** on. You’re blind if you haven’t seen that.

The bricking us out of half of the games he’s played is a myth pure and simple. There’s many other things to take into account when talking about how a PG runs the offense.

The bricking us out of half of the games he’s played is a myth pure and simple. There’s many other things to take into account when talking about how a PG runs the offense.
The thing to consider about how an offense is running is how well the ball goes through the hoop. It amazes me how much people over-complicate the reality that basketball is a game of which team puts the ball in the hoop more than the other.

Unfortunately his defensive numbers overall are a bit down this year, especially shooting percentage for the player he is guarding. I really like Rubio, and know what he is capable of when things are clicking for him. He has an amazing handle and is a great floor general. I like what I'm seeing from Donovan, but I can also see him getting burned out if he keeps having to keep up a usage rate like this.

I think a healthy Exum would be a great duo with Donovan, and Ex has the ability to guard the better opponent backcourt player due to the flexibility with his speed and strength, which can give Donovan a bit of a break.

The problem is, Exum seems to have a hard time staying on the court health wise, but it bad luck or otherwise. Maybe Grayson can fill in that niche but he isn't there yet.

That said, I wouldn't want the team to pay Ricky $15MM a year to stay with the Jazz. Not sure what his market value is, but I don't think he will resign to come off the bench, and will still want to get paid on a last contract when still close to his prime. So I think if they can get decent value for him they should, while keeping options open for the offseason. Of the "gettable" free agents this offseason, I think if Denver opts out on Millsap (don't think they plan to pay him $30MM), the Jazz would have a chance of getting him. Grabbing Morris from the Celtics would be a nice pickup too. Even opting in on Niang and Favors the Jazz are at $92MM with a cap of $109MM. So the Jazz have between $17-$33MM available depending on Favors. Paying Ricky what he can likely command doesn't make sense to me.

Windhorst mentioned DM playing point on his pod and said he talked with Jazz folks and they think playing pg will wear DM out... doesn't sound like they are really even considering it.

I think he needs someone that can create a little bit more instead of Favs/Royce, but I think it's really workable. If Ingles could share the floor more with him and we had more creation on the second unit I think it still works.

I love our FO and coaching staff but sometimes I think they miss obvious opportunities and I'm not sure why.

One thing of note... we've turned the ball over a lot less. I know the new cool thing is to say "turnovers don't matter" but they do. I think they might affect defense more than offense though. Less live ball turnovers means less transition opportunities. When our defense is set we lock **** down.