What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

Gosh, I could watch and listen to this woman talk for hours...

Love her accent.

Last edited:

Love her accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw25CM1MXlU

I like how she pretty much mispronounces everything before getting to her punchline list. Lettas not letters, stahted not started, bigges not biggest, togethah not together speakas not speakers daoun't not don't, on and on.

Love her accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw25CM1MXlU

Very interesting accent. I watched for several minutes, skipping through it so I could see her word list and hear some of what she said about each word/word family. Based on several cues (mainly involving the letter a) I think she's got to be Australian, but she's deliberately speaking with a (mostly) British accent because that's the style of English she's teaching. Very soothing combination.

And of course, she's wrong about "almond". :) (In U.S. English the "l" is definitely pronounced.)

In other news, the word that I hear non-native English speakers mispronounce essentially 100% of the time is "iron". If any non-native speakers are reading this thread, it's pronounced "eye-urn", not "eye-ron".

Isn't she saying it should be bay-nal. Which is absolutely not the way I've heard anyone say it, ever.

I've heard people say "bay-nal" and also "ba-nahl". It's not really a word I myself would ever use in casual conversation, but if I were to use it, say while reading something out loud, I'd probably say "bay-nal" as my default pronunciation.

In other news, the word that I hear non-native English speakers mispronounce essentially 100% of the time is "iron". If any non-native speakers are reading this thread, it's pronounced "eye-urn", not "eye-ron".

In thinking about it more for a couple of minutes, this might be a US vs British thing. I think I have heard some native British speakers say "eye-ron", possibly when they are trying to be fairly formal? Any Brits out there that can comment about the typical British pronunciation?

I had to read into this because I would pronounce banal like GF and Colton but banality with the al like Albert, ash, agriculture, and the ty as a either a t or d stop consonant or a combination of both (they're interchanged for a reason). However, the dictionary voting people have the correct interpretation across the spectrum and the majority disagree with how I pronounce it.

But since it's the pet peeve thread, I think language can and should evolve and don't care for when others criticize how people talk. Are we all going back to Old English to be proper?

I worked with a bunch of local actors several years ago and one had a pet peeve when he had to read a script containing ornery as awn-ree or awn-er-ee, pronounced like don, dawn, lawn, John. I had never seen the word spelled out before and had know clue when he told me it should be pronounced like it's spelled, ornery, like horn, corn, born-err-ee. But the dictionary agrees with me so I guess I'm good with not using the pretentious sounding version on this one. Wew!

speaking of pronunciation peeves, how about PELLOW for PILLOW. I hadn't heard that one in quite a while, and then within the last week I think I've heard it pronounced that way at least twice!

You'd hate living in Utah. We also say Melk.

No “we” don’t. I say pillow and milk with the i sound like in sick or will or wish. I’ve lived in Utah my whole life (other than my mission).

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve noticed anyone that pronounces them the other way.

No “we” don’t. I say pillow and milk with the i sound like in sick or will or wish. I’ve lived in Utah my whole life (other than my mission).

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve noticed anyone that pronounces them the other way.
I hear it all the time. Maybe it's a Utah county thing.

Most the pronunciations Utahns think are Utahn are actually all over the place, usually in more rural areas or places where they pronounce certain sounds in lazy ways.

I used to say pellow and melk, but I've worked on it once it was pointed out to me. My siblings don't say it that way so not sure where I picked it up in the first place.

Have I moaned yet about co-workers who have combined salaries between $120,000 and $200,000 complaining about how broke they are? Constantly crying that the middle class is dying, they will never be able to retire, and are living paycheck to paycheck? I'm surrounded by this and it seems people have become completely clueless to what being poor really means.

Have I moaned yet about co-workers who have combined salaries between $120,000 and $200,000 complaining about how broke they are? Constantly crying that the middle class is dying, they will never be able to retire, and are living paycheck to paycheck? I'm surrounded by this and it seems people have become completely clueless to what being poor really means.
Everyone thinks if they just made that extra 10k a year their life would be completely different.

Everyone thinks if they just made that extra 10k a year their life would be completely different.

Sure, but don't you think there's a point where it get's very tacky, disingenuous, disconnected, insulting to actual poor people, and something along the lines of out of touch with reality spoiled adult syndrome? Qu'ils mangent de la brioche.

If I heard someone in that position moaning like that, it would take every ounce of willpower in me to not completely berate them.

It’s pretty much a universal truth that the more people make, the more they spend.

The next 10k would go just as fast as the last 10k.