What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

You guys would hate it in Europe. I've seen dogs **** in grocery stores and people don't even bat an eye.

If we were going to award driving penalties based on what offense causes the most deaths and accidents, speeding would be the harshest. Maybe it should be.

I agree with a rating system for DUIs.

And I agree about the dogs. I am allergic, and I am not happy about how many people being them everywhere. When questioned, they claim they are a service dog and no one challenges it. My mother is terrified of dogs after having been bitten, and there are getting to be fewer and fewer safe places for her. I realize that dog owners believe that everyone loves their dogs as much as they do, but it is rude and inconsiderate to take them with you everywhere. And it cannot always be comfortable for the dog.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

In my experience fatigue is probably the most dangerous thing after six years of night shift almost everyone i'd worked with had fallen asleep while driving. Fortunately most of the time it was while parked at traffic lights or rail crossings (both of which i've done.).

On the dog thing, i don't really mind people taking their dogs to the cafe or the pub, depending on the weather. It used to really piss me off when people would come to the pub on a Sunday arvo on a 30+ degree day and leave their dog chained outside the pub in the afternoon sun.

They've started to allow the nurses to bring their dogs into work for pet therapy, so you know if they've had a tough day they can go play with their dog. I find it a bit odd.

Every two years I have to renew my electrician license. As part of that, I have to complete some continuing education hours. I’m totally fine with that, as we need to keep up to date on changes to the code and laws. We can do it online through state approved courses. That part that bugs the living hell out of me is that we have to spend a minimum amount of time doing it. For 16 hours, we have to spend 13 hours and 20 minutes in the course (doesn’t have to be continuous, but total) and get a minimum number of the “problems” correct. I don’t know what that number is, probably around 80-85%. It does not matter that I completed it the first time through with 97% in a little over 5 hours. I literally had to have my computer up with that website going for an additional 8 hours, changing which question I was “reviewing” every 15 minutes.

Every two years I have to renew my electrician license. As part of that, I have to complete some continuing education hours. I’m totally fine with that, as we need to keep up to date on changes to the code and laws. We can do it online through state approved courses. That part that bugs the living hell out of me is that we have to spend a minimum amount of time doing it. For 16 hours, we have to spend 13 hours and 20 minutes in the course (doesn’t have to be continuous, but total) and get a minimum number of the “problems” correct. I don’t know what that number is, probably around 80-85%. It does not matter that I completed it the first time through with 97% in a little over 5 hours. I literally had to have my computer up with that website going for an additional 8 hours, changing which question I was “reviewing” every 15 minutes.
Definitely worthy of a peeve. Sorry, man.

Straight BS

This is nonsense.

The joys of increased regulations.

When people sit down to talk to you and ask all sorts of prying questions in that fake I care voice, when you know they are just prying for information or have an ulterior motive.

I know you don't really care.

Costs me to renew my licence 600 to 800 bucks every three years depending on if they introduce some new law or ******** that requires extra training and/or a new back ground check which i have to pay for to do the same job and make the same money. Its a straight up cash grab, on the initial licence application you have to provide two character references from qualified people who've known you for at least 5 years, I had a hell of a hard time getting those but seemingly new arrivals who can hardly speak English seem to have no problem finding these people. Fortunately it provides the industry with boat loads of cheap labour and at the same time depresses our wages even at the top end.

Costs me to renew my licence 600 to 800 bucks every three years depending on if they introduce some new law or ******** that requires extra training and/or a new back ground check which i have to pay for to do the same job and make the same money. Its a straight up cash grab, on the initial licence application you have to provide two character references from qualified people who've known you for at least 5 years, I had a hell of a hard time getting those but seemingly new arrivals who can hardly speak English seem to have no problem finding these people. Fortunately it provides the industry with boat loads of cheap labour and at the same time depresses our wages even at the top end.

My license doesn’t expire until November 30, so I haven’t paid for it yet. I’m going to guess that it will be around $150. Plus the continuing education cost (I got mine done this year for $100, by far the cheapest I’ve ever found). So it’s between $200-$300.
But since I’m also a contractor, I have to do the same thing for my contractor’s license. But half of the continuing education for that has to be in a live classroom setting. That means I have to give up a couple Saturdays to go and sit through classes too. Each class runs anywhere from $50-$100 and take all day. And I have to purchase a required textbook. At least the contractor’s license and electrician license renewal are on alternating years.
There are starting to be more and more companies hiring unlicensed, undocumented workers. I get why they do it. They are cheaper, and there are no where near enough licensed tradesmen right now. For me, the risk just isn’t worth it. It’s like a $5000 fine each violation.

My license doesn’t expire until November 30, so I haven’t paid for it yet. I’m going to guess that it will be around $150. Plus the continuing education cost (I got mine done this year for $100, by far the cheapest I’ve ever found). So it’s between $200-$300.
But since I’m also a contractor, I have to do the same thing for my contractor’s license. But half of the continuing education for that has to be in a live classroom setting. That means I have to give up a couple Saturdays to go and sit through classes too. Each class runs anywhere from $50-$100 and take all day. And I have to purchase a required textbook. At least the contractor’s license and electrician license renewal are on alternating years.
There are starting to be more and more companies hiring unlicensed, undocumented workers. I get why they do it. They are cheaper, and there are no where near enough licensed tradesmen right now. For me, the risk just isn’t worth it. It’s like a $5000 fine each violation.

These guys all have licences but they are provided by providers that you pay 1500 bucks to and two weeks later you have a licence. Company licences are much harder to get and more expensive, my bar has a 24 hour liquor licence so we pay 30k per annum for that, which has a bunch of obligations and consequences for breach that are huge. Cant even hire a bus boy that hasn't passed a course these days...

:( I think I'll quit complaining about my training courses that have to take an hour when I can do them in 20 minutes.

I've been doing a job in the Avenues of Salt Lake City. Just about every day there is a guy up there on his road bike going down the hill about 50 MPH (25 MPH zone) blowing through every stop sign.
Why do cyclists think the laws don't apply to them?

I've been doing a job in the Avenues of Salt Lake City. Just about every day there is a guy up there on his road bike going down the hill about 50 MPH (25 MPH zone) blowing through every stop sign.
Same here, for both bicycles and motorcycles. I was sitting at a busy 4-way stop (1 lane plus turning lane from each direction, all full), and some guy rolled up on his Harley, barely slowed at all and just zipped through. 2 cars turning left across from each other had to swerve to keep from flooring the guy. Seriously motorcycle riders here are so incredibly stupid about it I cannot believe there are not more fatalities.

Another one, I saw a guy lane-splitting recently, driving between the left-most lane and the next center lane. Someone ahead of me didn't see him and moved slightly over to the right in their lane (note, they were already in the lane, they just shifted sideways a bit). The guy on the bike didn't like that one bit, so as he passed them he slapped their car and turned almost completely around on his bike to wave his hand at them and flip them off, then promptly ran his handlebar into the back of the truck in the next lane over. He was damn lucky we were all going maybe 30 miles per hour, as I have seen similar behavior when traffic was going 60+ and the bikes are zipping between lanes at easily 90.

The absolute worse is bicyclists on a two lane highway, and getting stuck behind them as you’re coming up on a curve. Only way to pass without making them road paste is to go into the other lane.

Hate bicyclists. Hope they all get permanent wedgies.

The absolute worse is bicyclists on a two lane highway, and getting stuck behind them as you’re coming up on a curve. Only way to pass without making them road paste is to go into the other lane.

Hate bicyclists. Hope they all get permanent wedgies.

They don’t ride on the shoulders?

That said, I hate em too. But on that topic, my dad is pretty active, even at 70. This summer he was bicycling and coming off of a circle. As he continued on the shoulder, he noticed a truck driver had pulled over on the dirt next to the shoulder. As my dad approached, the driver opened his door and my father swerved into the lane. Thankfully, no car hit him but he flew off the bike and was seriously injured. Doesn’t remember the accident. In and out of trauma units and ICU a couple times. His brain has shifted at least 8mm in his skull (which seems insane to me) from a clot on on side and hematoma on the other. In a few weeks, they’ll be performing surgery to remove part of his skull to help reduce the swelling and such. Pretty crazy. He’s completely fine for most the most part but still gets headaches at times.

Last edited:
They don’t ride on the shoulders?

That said, I hate em too. But on that topic, my dad is pretty active, even at 70. This summer he was bicycling and coming off of a circle. As he continued on the shoulder, he noticed a truck driver had pulled over on the dirt next to the shoulder. As my dad approached, the driver opened his door and my father swerved into the lane. Thankfully, no car hit him but he flew off the bike and was seriously injured. Doesn’t remember the accident. In and out of trauma units and ICU a couple times. His brain has shifted at least 8mm in his brain from a clot on on side and hematoma on the other which seems insane to me. In a few weeks, they’ll be performing surgery to remove part of his skull to help reduce the swelling and such. Pretty crazy. He’s completely fine for most the most part but still gets headaches at times.

That sucks. I hope all goes well with the surgery.

It’s fun until you lose a leg.

So I was recently laid off so I am on the job hunt again (I have been through a restructuring or layoff of some kind 5 times now in my career...**** me), and it is shocking to me the lack of common courtesy among hiring people (hiring managers, recruiters, etc.). I had a full round of interviews, had 2 on-site interviews, and was told I was one of 2 finalists for a role and the next step would be interview with Senior VP or COO. Then....nothing. No call, no email, nothing, and every email I sent or call I made went unanswered. Not even a simple form letter letting me know I am no longer in the running or whatever. Well **** them all, that is just ********. Grow a pair and call people and ****ing let them KNOW if they are being considered or not, especially when it gets that far along. This happens so much it is pathetic.