What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

So I was recently laid off so I am on the job hunt again (I have been through a restructuring or layoff of some kind 5 times now in my career...**** me), and it is shocking to me the lack of common courtesy among hiring people (hiring managers, recruiters, etc.). I had a full round of interviews, had 2 on-site interviews, and was told I was one of 2 finalists for a role and the next step would be interview with Senior VP or COO. Then....nothing. No call, no email, nothing, and every email I sent or call I made went unanswered. Not even a simple form letter letting me know I am no longer in the running or whatever. Well **** them all, that is just ********. Grow a pair and call people and ****ing let them KNOW if they are being considered or not, especially when it gets that far along. This happens so much it is pathetic.

I agree that they should at least contact you. However, if you have made it that far, they don't want to tell you they like someone else better until that person is signed, sealed, and delivered. That you are the second choice doesn't mean you are out of the running. So, I can understand the reluctance to burn a bridge (unless your foe is on it, of course).

Huge pet peeve of mine.

When your idiot of a wife leaves her car unlocked and the key fob in it and it’s stolen blout if your driveway at 4am by a gang from Newark (an hour away almost) and the task force in charge of the case knows where the car is but are sitting on it in the attempt of building a bigger case.

But yeah, could’ve just said the idiot and wife part.

Huge pet peeve of mine.

When your idiot of a wife leaves her car unlocked and the key fob in it and it’s stolen blout if your driveway at 4am by a gang from Newark (an hour away almost) and the task force in charge of the case knows where the car is but are sitting on it in the attempt of building a bigger case.

Damn...

The best part is we had paid off four years and fourth months on the vehicle or about $37,000.

Now, if we do get money from the insurance company, I’m assuming it’ll be around the $17,000 blue book value but we also still owe about $6,000, so in essence, we’d be getting $11,000 for it...and would be out $26,000 plus what I would think would be substantial insurance hikes.

I agree that they should at least contact you. However, if you have made it that far, they don't want to tell you they like someone else better until that person is signed, sealed, and delivered. That you are the second choice doesn't mean you are out of the running. So, I can understand the reluctance to burn a bridge (unless your foe is on it, of course).
Yeah I get that aspect too, and I respect that, I do the same thing. But in this case these guys just blew it off. It has been 4 weeks now, and not a peep. I always instruct my HR groups to at least let them know things are still in the works, and not just leave them hanging.

Huge pet peeve of mine.

Damn man, that sucks. The insurance part is just about as bad as losing the car. I think insurance in general is a scam, and one we are all required to buy into, the ultimate ponzi scheme. My wife was in an accident, wow now almost 20 years ago, someone turned left in front of her with no indication and she hit them broadside at about 50 MPH. The van she was driving had the engine pushed part way into the passenger compartment. Luckily neither she nor the kids were injured significantly, a few bumps and scrapes. But the van was obviously totaled. However, we had to fight our insurance company to declare it a total loss. They wanted to give us partial for it and then recoupe scrap costs, so it would have cost us about 5 grand on the loan along with needing to buy a new car. Sonsabitches.

Huge pet peeve of mine.

That really really sucks but im sure it was an honest mistake and accident. I try not to ever really get mad at my wife if what she did wrong wasnt intentional

So I was recently laid off so I am on the job hunt again (I have been through a restructuring or layoff of some kind 5 times now in my career...**** me), and it is shocking to me the lack of common courtesy among hiring people (hiring managers, recruiters, etc.). I had a full round of interviews, had 2 on-site interviews, and was told I was one of 2 finalists for a role and the next step would be interview with Senior VP or COO. Then....nothing. No call, no email, nothing, and every email I sent or call I made went unanswered. Not even a simple form letter letting me know I am no longer in the running or whatever. Well **** them all, that is just ********. Grow a pair and call people and ****ing let them KNOW if they are being considered or not, especially when it gets that far along. This happens so much it is pathetic.
I "liked" because it was a good peeve, not because I'm happy you're out of work. Sorry about that, it sucks. :-( And people not following up with me with WHATEVER it happens to be is definitely a pet peeve of mine.

That really really sucks but im sure it was an honest mistake and accident. I try not to ever really get mad at my wife if what she did wrong wasnt intentional

It wasn’t an accident. She has terrible habits. She does the same dumb things repeatedly. Day after day after day. I’ve asked her a million times, “Did you lock your car?” because I’ve seen her walk away a million times from it, come into the house and not lock it. But she lives in fantasy land, with a very laissez-faire attitude.

Lol, we have branches in our company that have open jobs 6+ months, 400 candidates (395 resumes) that haven’t even been contacted. Maybe they don’t want the competition and tell their boss they can’t get ahold of you.

Using a multiplier to indicate something it smaller. Such as "6 times smaller" or "reduced by 2/3". I assume the fist means "1/6 the size", but I don't know if the second means "1/3 the size" or "2/3 the size", and I think different people use it in differently.

Using a multiplier to indicate something it smaller. Such as "6 times smaller" or "reduced by 2/3". I assume the fist means "1/6 the size", but I don't know if the second means "1/3 the size" or "2/3 the size", and I think different people use it in differently.
To say reduced by at least 2/3 I meant less than 1/3 it's current size. I think the way I started writing the sentence led me to say it that way because I didn't want to re-write the sentence. I also don't think it is even slightly unclear. Reduced by 2/3 means you take 2/3 of something away. There is no other way to read that.

To say reduced by at least 2/3 I meant less than 1/3 it's current size. I think the way I started writing the sentence led me to say it that way because I didn't want to re-write the sentence. I also don't think it is even slightly unclear. Reduced by 2/3 means you take 2/3 of something away. There is no other way to read that.

These last two posts have reduced my appreciation for the English language by 3 quarters.