What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

My condolences. Seems like everyone is getting divorced lately. Add you and kicky to the list.

I'm not getting legally divorced unless she decides to do so, but I am no longer vowed to her. She doesn't seem to believe it yet but whatever.
It's been pretty up and down. But single life is treating me okay right now. That was what my road trip through California was about. I had some "friends" to visit.

I have a condition called keratoconus and recently got scleral contacts. They are large contacts that don't directly touch your cornea. They vault over your cornea and you fill them with a solution that essentially eliminates the irregularity of my cornea. They work okay. I had better vision with glasses.

I wore glasses for about 14 years. Never once had them come off my face by accident.

I got diagnosed with this by accident in September of 2017, just as I was about to start my second degree. I actually went to the optometrist to get a pair of discount sunglasses with a slight prescription, because I was now privately-insured under my mother again (got coverage till age 25 if ur a student, I was 24 at the time).

I went, and totally bombed my eye exams. Was diagnosed with keratoconus then and there. Got cornea cross-linking done 3 months later (free of charge, thnx to Canadian health care of course).

Luckily I went in and got it diagnosed before I *really* started noticing vision difficulties. I can definitely live day to day without my glasses, but hoo-boi the night-time vision is horrific without the glasses.

I went to an optometrist who tried to fit me with the scleral contacts-- he tried putting them on my eyes 5 separate times, but he kept getting air bubbles and had to retry. My mom was sitting there to the side, trying not to cry as this all unfolded lmao (before the whole diagnosis, I had never needed any visual aids; I was the first person in my family to be diagnosed with any visual problem).

Long-story short, I went to see another optometrist, and I got some decent glasses fitted. I can see nearly 20/20 with them-- my vision is definitely better with the scleral contacts, but my quality of life is so, so much better with glasses.
Whoa! Never met somebody else with Keratoconus before.

I had one eye that rapidly declined. Couldn’t be corrected, not with glasses or contacts. Eventually went and got surgery in Canada because in the US it was considered experimental, even though they’ve been doing it for decades. PRK + X-linking. Worked wonders.

I’ve waffled most of my life on my level of activity/interest/participation in the LDS Church but this whole thing has really struck a chord with me.

This was how I felt about Prop 8 in California (marriage equality). It was the beginning of the end for me. Life is better on the other side.

You are only living to be 60? Calling anything at 30 "mid-life" is a little weird.

But congrats/condolences on your divorce (whichever way you are feeling when you read this).
Yeah, I would be shocked if I lived to 60, and thanks!

$135k spent in opposition ads saysotherwise. I’ll try to find a link to corroborate that number.

No link needed, I can take your word for it. I wasn't really arguing against you but trying to point fingers at the group of behind the scenes people managing Utah politics. These ****ers control the decision process by funding studies and they control the media focus here (church owned, no?).

I'll get a list of boards Gail Miller is on tomorrow.

This was how I felt about Prop 8 in California (marriage equality). It was the beginning of the end for me. Life is better on the other side.

Glad you could make peace. It's not an easy thing to do. Especially for someone who obviously cares dearly for her fervent mother who has been described as a fundamental.

I tell young people that marriage is a trap. I honestly can't recommend anyone get married. I've known far too many middle aged men living in crummy apartments paying 60-70% of their income to keep their ex-wife and kids in a nice middle-class home. Either the rules have to change or men should absolutely reject marriage.

I tell young people that marriage is a trap. I honestly can't recommend anyone get married. I've known far too many middle aged men living in crummy apartments paying 60-70% of their income to keep their ex-wife and kids in a nice middle-class home. Either the rules have to change or men should absolutely reject marriage.
Agreed

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I have no frame of reference for the divorce posts. My parents never divorced and I have been married almost 27 years despite my obvious doucheyness. I got lucky.

But don't get me started on menopause. Ugh

I have no frame of reference for the divorce posts. My parents never divorced and I have been married almost 27 years despite my obvious

Neither do I dude. I've been with chick for nearly 20 years and won't quit her despite threats. You think it's a lite decision? Sometimes something has to give, and I realize my own flaws.

Neither do I dude. I've been with chick for nearly 20 years and won't quit her despite threats. You think it's a lite decision? Sometimes something has to give, and I realize my own flaws.

Threats? I’m confused. On one hand, at the end you make it sound like you left her but on the other, you make it sound like you “won’t quit her” and refuse to let it end.

Threats? I’m confused. On one hand, at the end you make it sound like you left her but on the other, you make it sound like you “won’t quit her” and refuse to let it end.

Private discussion bud, you're a good dude and we can have it if you want. Open marriage seems to be a novelty concept here. I was responding to log not understanding the divorce thing. At some point?

@Wes Mantooth is a weird bastard. On one end he plays the chivalrous bastard, but on the other doesn't understand "I wont quit her". Did marriage vows and unconditional love have to be explained to this guy? Can't ever tell if serious or not.