What's new

Summer League Notes And Discussion

I grew up watching his old man play, they used to live about 5 minutes from my house, Bruce used to own a sports collectable store at the local shopping centre, would organise 3 on 3 tournaments, nice family.

Bruce Bolden was my favorite player growing up. I still have his warm up top. He was a mean SOB on the court with the best game face/scowl ever.

had about the longest legs I've ever seen on a dude.

totally one of the best fadeaway jumpers i've seen. awesome post player and rebounder. Class guy too.

we used to go watch when he was with the Spectres and they had zero other big men and he'd take on two or three big men himself.

My only question is despite his gigormous wingspan, he may not be able to see over the defense - especially if he is more a SG. Might struggle with his shot when he has similarly long wings in his face.

Doesn't seem to bother Curry or IT. When you're that quick you don't need to see over people because they can't stay with you long enough to block your path. The guy jumps like a pogo-stick if you haven't noticed. Did you that see tip in? He literally jumped over, I think it was Bradley, and got up so quickly. D.Wade isn't much bigger and it never bothered him. And he can play both guard positions.

And Mitchell Creek might be the worst SL player I have ever seen start a game.
I'm sure Utah had to scrape the bottom of the barrel because agents and prospects saw the Jazz' roster as being pretty much done, or at least if there was a roster spot, DL would be looking at vets, not rookies. How quickly things change!

Doesn't seem to bother Curry or IT. When you're that quick you don't need to see over people because they can't stay with you long enough to block your path. The guy jumps like a pogo-stick if you haven't noticed. Did you that see tip in? He literally jumped over, I think it was Bradley, and got up so quickly. D.Wade isn't much bigger and it never bothered him. And he can play both guard positions.

Yea definitely think the guy will be a stud at some point soonish.
Was thinking about the initial adjustment period. Curry amd IT usually up against pg who generally aren't as long.

He has too many tools not to be really really effective. Add his impeccable attitude, and he is set.

Last edited:
The chemistry between Dante and Donovan looks fantastic, the both really seem to enjoy playing with each other. Could really be something going forward, that said its summer league, playing against guys that will be bagging groceries in a couple of months.

totally one of the best fadeaway jumpers i've seen. awesome post player and rebounder. Class guy too.

we used to go watch when he was with the Spectres and they had zero other big men and he'd take on two or three big men himself.

Steve Carfino says hi :)

I loved the glory days of the NBL!

All I can say is that Mitchell has some amazing athleticism. I could foresee him becoming a starter before the season's over. Bobby Hansen said during half-time that he will soon make us forget Hayward and I would have to agree. I haven't ever seen a Jazz rookie this good -- been following the team since 1995.

DMitch is the next DWade.

Don't know where to put this, so I will just say it here.

I have a big chip on my shoulder about the way Q has coached certain players (no surprises Exum being my main beef).... BUT
I have always thought he was an extremely effective game day coach, a great reader of the game, hardworking and a very thoughtful interviewee.

That statement he made yesterday about Gordo's departure was OUTSTANDING. If I was a player on the Jazz reading that I would be so inspired. I would look at that statement everyday until training camp and let it fuel me to be someone who contributed to fill the tremendous void that has opened up. My bias against Q stems from my fear that he doesn't really believe in Exum. And truth be told, if someone as knowledgeable as Q has doubts - how can I really be convinced that X will sort it out.

I think I would have taken Hayward's departure as a personal slight if I were him. Especially given the bond that exists with Stevens. But Q is an adult, modest, a gentleman and a professional.

His statement alone can do a lot to quickly 'heal' the Jazz.