What's new

Supreme Court Justice Kennedy to Retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a “survivor”. I use quotation marks because my life was never even remotely in danger and I was not hurt in any physical, verbal or mental way. But I’m a victim of this as a child. I don’t get offended at the jokes and I’m not on a soap box. But it’s easy to see why this would offend and those offended in this case are usually on the moral high ground.

It’s just immensely dumb and insensitive. If you’re going for public office why shoot yourself in the foot? Idiot

It’s not dumb when your base eats it up. They love these types of attacks. Republican politicians and media types are so mean and distasteful so much that it’s pretty obvious that they’re giving consumers what they want. Classy republican moderates are boring and there’s zero demand for that. Today’s GOP consumers are racist, indecent, and misogynistic.

So it makes perfect sense to give their deplorable base what they want. It’s what Rush, Sean, and Donald do every single day.

Anyone else finding it ironic that K’s schtick is his stance against women’s choice and had he gotten Dr. Ford pregnant she’d be forced to carry the baby full term?

That’s one of the most disgusting issues I have with the anti-choice crowd. They’re not pro life. They just want conrol. They just want to be able to dominate women.

Anyone else finding it ironic that K’s schtick is his stance against women’s choice and had he gotten Dr. Ford pregnant she’d be forced to carry the baby full term?

That’s one of the most disgusting issues I have with the anti-choice crowd. They’re not pro life. They just want conrol. They just want to be able to dominate women.
Speaking for myself, who is pro life with a few exceptions (rape being one), that is entirely not the case.

Do you really think the problem with the joke was that it wasn't funny?
I think our 24/7 anti-other-side "news" media (the majority of them are far more interested in telling us what is wrong about the opposition than what the news actually is) has all of us spending way too much time focusing on things that offend us about each other. If I was a politician I would not tell a joke like that. I might not tell any jokes. But just like I think people should not get their undies in a bunch over the Obama joke, I think they ought to get over this one as well.

I think our 24/7 anti-other-side "news" media (the majority of them are far more interested in telling us what is wrong about the opposition than what the news actually is) has all of us spending way too much time focusing on things that offend us about each other. If I was a politician I would not tell a joke like that. I might not tell any jokes. But just like I think people should not get their undies in a bunch over the Obama joke, I think they ought to get over this one as well.
The news media has nothing to do with why jokes like that are irresponsible at best. People who don't feel like their sexual assault will be taken seriously are less likely to come forward. That allows predators to roam free. This isn't just some abstract thing you know. It's a real dynamic that exists, and is part of why the majority of sexual assault victims stay silent.

I don't think that's quite fair. For many (most?) pro choice people, the loss of female autonomy isn't the goal, it's just not a deal breaker.

Speaking for myself, who is pro life with a few exceptions (rape being one), that is entirely not the case.

Do you believe in providing taxpayer funded health care to the mother and child in order to birth the child? Do you believe in providing taxpayer funded health care, housing, and food if the birth presented severe financial hardship?

The anti-choice movement is based upon control. I’ve yet to meet anyone from this movement who supported taxpayer funded programs to provide the child with “life.” Essentially, the pro-life movement ends once the child leaves the womb. They attack taxpayer funded programs and comprehensive sex education. After that it’s, “tough luck kid, you’re on your own.”

Anti-choice (I choose to call them that because calling them pro life is laughable) people can’t have it both ways. They can’t cut comprehensive sex Edu from curriculum, make birth control inaccessible, force women to birth children, and then cut taxpayer funded programs that are essential to those hurt the most by their inability to get an abortion.

The news media has nothing to do with why jokes like that are irresponsible at best. People who don't feel like their sexual assault will be taken seriously are less likely to come forward. That allows predators to roam free. This isn't just some abstract thing you know. It's a real dynamic that exists, and is part of why the majority of sexual assault victims stay silent.
Well people make jokes about everything, and they are going to continue making jokes about everything. Should a congressman make this sort of a joke? Probably not. Should Obama make the joke he did? Probably not. It is hard for me to believe that someone could be so sensitive that this joke would impact their ability to report a crime.

I agree with you that sex crimes go under reported, and I agree that we should encourage people to report them. I don't agree that a joke like this should really make a difference to anyone other than RGB and Honest Abe.

Who’s using disgusting jokes at political rallies to shut down victims? Which side is daily tweeting on social media or holding an offensive interview or rally disparaging victims of sexual abuse and attacking minorities? Let’s not “monkey it up”, as DeSantis recently said. When the moderates in your base have left leaving a political party in control of racists and deplorables, let’s not act surprised when their political leaders play to the base.

Well people make jokes about everything, and they are going to continue making jokes about everything. Should a congressman make this sort of a joke? Probably not. Should Obama make the joke he did? Probably not. It is hard for me to believe that someone could be so sensitive that this joke would impact their ability to report a crime.

I agree with you that sex crimes go under reported, and I agree that we should encourage people to report them. I don't agree that a joke like this should really make a difference to anyone other than RGB and Honest Abe.
Well I'm going to go ahead and take the word of people who actually have to deal with the trauma of sexual violence over someone who thinks they are just being 'too sensitive.'

Do you believe in providing taxpayer funded health care to the mother and child in order to birth the child? Do you believe in providing taxpayer funded health care, housing, and food if the birth presented severe financial hardship?

The anti-choice movement is based upon control. I’ve yet to meet anyone from this movement who supported taxpayer funded programs to provide the child with “life.” Essentially, the pro-life movement ends once the child leaves the womb. They attack taxpayer funded programs and comprehensive sex education. After that it’s, “tough luck kid, you’re on your own.”

Anti-choice (I choose to call them that because calling them pro life is laughable) people can’t have it both ways. They can’t cut comprehensive sex Edu from curriculum, make birth control inaccessible, force women to birth children, and then cut taxpayer funded programs that are essential to those hurt the most by their inability to get an abortion.

Yeah, anti-life people like labeling the other side as anti-choice. (See what I did there.)

But you're wrong about nearly everything in your post. My view comes from wanting to protect the rights of the unborn child. Not control of women. And yes, I generally support increased taxpayer-funded health care. So now you've met one.

Yeah, anti-life people like labeling the other side as anti-choice. (See what I did there.)

But you're wrong about nearly everything in your post. My view comes from wanting to protect the rights of the unborn child. Not control of women. And yes, I generally support increased taxpayer-funded health care. So now you've met one.

It’s not a child.

However, I think it should be noted that abortion has been on the decline ever since comprehensive sex Edu has spread and contraception has become more accessible. Things that anti-choice people incessantly attack. Which again, reveals that the issue isn’t about lowering abortion rates, but controlling women. If abortion truly was the issue, then the anti-choice crowd would be calling for comprehensive sex edu and easily accessible contraception from the rooftops!

-So Dr. Ford says she will testify next week, just can't be Monday. Apparently they are negotiating at this point.

-Republicans are hiring an independent council to direct questions at Dr. Ford if she testifies. Republicans will not have to be seen on camera questioning the woman. Trying to duck and hide here I imagine.

-No statute of limitations on filing a criminal complaint in Md. if Dr. Ford ever wanted to choose that route, including when Kavanaugh was on the Supreme Court.

Well I'm going to go ahead and take the word of people who actually have to deal with the trauma of sexual violence over someone who thinks they are just being 'too sensitive.'

Yikes

That question is implicit in all of the Republican defenses of the Supreme Court nominee.

The accusation amounts to “a little hiccup,” says Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.); a “drive-by shooting,” says Sen. Lindsay O. Graham (R-S.C.); and. generally speaking, a cheap “smear,” according to many other Kavanaugh enthusiasts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...a24980-bd05-11e8-be70-52bd11fe18af_story.html

It’s not a child.

Yes, which is why I used the term "unborn child" instead of just "child". But "it" is not an "it", either, like an inanimate object, as you referred to the fetus. He or she is a prospective child, and as such deserves our protection in all but the extreme cases (such as rape, as I mentioned earlier).

However, I think it should be noted that abortion has been on the decline ever since comprehensive sex Edu has spread and contraception has become more accessible. Things that anti-choice people incessantly attack. Which again, reveals that the issue isn’t about lowering abortion rates, but controlling women. If abortion truly was the issue, then the anti-choice crowd would be calling for comprehensive sex edu and easily accessible contraception from the rooftops!

Fwiw I've never been against sex ed. And you claiming that the pro-life crowd is all about controlling women is just like the other side claiming the anti-life* crowd is murdering babies. Both views are disgraceful and trivialize the discussion.

*Yes, for every post that you use the phrase anti-choice, I'm going to use the phrase anti-life.

I don't think it's fair to paint all anti abortionists with the broad brush of them all being anti-contraceptive and against sex Ed. But those folk do make up a large part of the right wing power structure that is ascendant in American politics right now.

Yes, which is why I used the term "unborn child" instead of just "child". But "it" is not an "it", either, like an inanimate object, as you referred to the fetus. He or she is a prospective child, and as such deserves our protection in all but the extreme cases (such as rape, as I mentioned earlier).

Fwiw I've never been against sex ed. And you claiming that the pro-life crowd is all about controlling women is just like the other side claiming the anti-life* crowd is murdering babies. Both views are disgraceful and trivialize the discussion.

*Yes, for every post that you use the phrase anti-choice, I'm going to use the phrase anti-life.

Find me a single anti-choice congressperson who also supports comprehensive sex education and accessibility (even if it’s taxpayer funded) contraception. :D

I understand that you might not be as rigid as others. But when the GOP’s entire platform, every congressperson, and every republican of importance emphasizes taking away choice without emphasizing education and contraception, it’s pretty obvious then what the root of the issue is about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.