What's new

Supreme Court Justice Kennedy to Retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is must watch. There's a perspective almost completely absent in these discussions, that of the survivor.

The Republicans are trying to lock up the female vote in the midterms. They're playing with a losing hand...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/19/politics/brett-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-senate/index.html

"And with that, the game of chicken was formally joined: On one side, Ford insisting that without an investigation, there can be no full hearing on the accusations. On the other, Senate Republicans and the White House, arguing that they are offering Ford a platform to tell her story but noting that the opportunity has an expiration date.

Lost amid the "will she or won't she" questions is the fact that what Grassley -- almost certainly in coordination with the White House -- is doing represents an absolutely massive political gamble: Amid the cultural upheaval of the #MeToo moment and with an election looming in less than seven weeks' time, Republicans are daring a woman alleging sexual assault against a nominee for the country's highest court to either put up or shut up.

The belief among Republicans is that if Ford won't come forward after they accommodated her desire to speak about her story (and gave her the opportunity to do so in a public or a private setting) then she will be judged to be a less-than-credible source -- allowing them to proceed with confirming Kavanaugh to the court with little negative political fallout."

The easiest thing any POTUS can do is get a SCOTUS nominee approved when his party controls the Senate. Shows the level of incompetence we are dealing with in the white house.

The Republicans are trying to lock up the female vote in the midterms. They're playing with a losing hand...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/19/politics/brett-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-senate/index.html

"And with that, the game of chicken was formally joined: On one side, Ford insisting that without an investigation, there can be no full hearing on the accusations. On the other, Senate Republicans and the White House, arguing that they are offering Ford a platform to tell her story but noting that the opportunity has an expiration date.

Lost amid the "will she or won't she" questions is the fact that what Grassley -- almost certainly in coordination with the White House -- is doing represents an absolutely massive political gamble: Amid the cultural upheaval of the #MeToo moment and with an election looming in less than seven weeks' time, Republicans are daring a woman alleging sexual assault against a nominee for the country's highest court to either put up or shut up.

The belief among Republicans is that if Ford won't come forward after they accommodated her desire to speak about her story (and gave her the opportunity to do so in a public or a private setting) then she will be judged to be a less-than-credible source -- allowing them to proceed with confirming Kavanaugh to the court with little negative political fallout."

It’s like they identify a goal, in this case shoring up women’s votes, and then they plan out how to best not achieve that goal.

Smfh.

Seeing how prepared repubs were with Grassley’s list of high school “friends” who’d vouch for K, I have no doubt K’s office has been working overtime to ensure his secretaries remain silent. Frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised to see undisclosed payments similar to what we’ve seen from Trump and Cohen. K most likely has a number of skeletons in the closet. But repubs want to hurry and rush him through before this story can be fully investigated.

Disgusting.

Any college educated, decent person, woman, or minority that votes repub this November needs to have their heads examined. Unless you’re uber rich, soulless, or racist, why would you vote republican?

Exhibit 2,694 on why victims of sexual assualt may not wish to come forward:

They won't want to come forward because congressmen aren't very funny? Remember when Obama joked that Michelle didn't go all the way down on Ellen DeGeneris? People initially laughed at that one too, probably mostly because it made them nervous just like this Congressman's joke did. Afterward people said the president shouldn't make jokes like that. Neither of them were very intelligent things for a person in these people's positions to say, but most people can get over either of them.

They won't want to come forward because congressmen aren't very funny? Remember when Obama joked that Michelle didn't go all the way down on Ellen DeGeneris? People initially laughed at that one too, probably mostly because it made them nervous just like this Congressman's joke did. Afterward people said the president shouldn't make jokes like that. Neither of them were very intelligent things for a person in these people's positions to say, but most people can get over either of them.
Do you really think the problem with the joke was that it wasn't funny?

Depending on the circles they run in, they may have a long history of never being called out on it. I mean the people in the audience laughed and cheered him on.

Sadly this is far to true.

Do not make fun of victims of sexual assault.
Particularly if you are an elected official.

This should not be difficult.

i can see someone making the argument being made that this is an alleged assault not a proven one.

But it’s still a bad thing to do. Like you said, this should not be difficult.

i can see someone making the argument being made that this is an alleged assault not a proven one.

But it’s still a bad thing to do. Like you said, this should not be difficult.
Yeah definitely a good idea to err on the side of caution, you know. For the wellbeing of future victims if nothing else.

If I was a survivor of sexual assault, this is exactly the kind of thing that would make me want no part of coming out. I get to relive the trauma, get my life destroyed, while powerful men dismiss it and make fun of me. Sounds great.

Yeah definitely a good idea to err on the side of caution, you know. For the wellbeing of future victims if nothing else.

If I was a survivor of sexual assault, this is exactly the kind of thing that would make me want no part of coming out. I get to relive the trauma, get my life destroyed, while powerful men dismiss it and make fun of me. Sounds great.

I’m a “survivor”. I use quotation marks because my life was never even remotely in danger and I was not hurt in any physical, verbal or mental way. But I’m a victim of this as a child. I don’t get offended at the jokes and I’m not on a soap box. But it’s easy to see why this would offend and those offended in this case are usually on the moral high ground.

It’s just immensely dumb and insensitive. If you’re going for public office why shoot yourself in the foot? Idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.