What's new

The Jazz have re-Signed Jarrell Brantley

I would assume that they Jazz are done adding minimum contract players at this point. Trades are going to be tougher now too.

I would assume that they Jazz are done adding minimum contract players at this point. Trades are going to be tougher now too.

Yeah, I think the roster's pretty much set at this point.

Forrest should get Oni’s spot if we’re done. I would prefer Quin even bring Forrest in to play defense as a wing but he tends to struggle with functional fixedness. He seemed to think Shaq could only play as a 1 and probably the same goes for Forrest.

Brantley's QO was around $1.5M.

Zanick really likes Hughes and see this as Hughes' first real off-season, but Hughes has got to show something soon.
The fact that Oni is non-guaranteed and he's not here suggests that he's on the bubble, imo.

Jazz can continue to carry Oni as the 15th player and can replace him if/when someone better comes along. Oni's guarantee date is in January. So this is essentially the same as carrying 14 players going into the season. They can also move his contract to another team who wants to give him a shot.

I could see Macio Teague, DJ Funderburk or Paul White earning 2-way deals.

Last edited:
I’m sure the Jazz see the physical tools Brantley offers. He’s got great size and good athleticism. But I can’t stand watching him play in their system. He’s a ball stopper on a team that relies on constant ball movement. I love Forest and hope he doesn’t end up going elsewhere. He’s constantly making the right basketball play. He’ll stick around the league I’m not sure Brantley will.

I think this is the right choice. They’ll find ways to get him more efficient offense, but he’ll step forward as a good defensive piece before then. Basically, he can replace Oni.

BTW, I think Brantley is a 3, semantically speaking. So the roster should look like this ---

Gobert / Whiteside / Azubuike
O'Neale / Gay / Paschall
Bogdanovic / Ingles / Brantley
Mitchell / Clarkson / Hughes
Conley / Butler / Forrest

So with Paschall and Brantley coming on board, Oni might have to get cut. I'm hearing mixed messages on whether a player can sign a third 2-way contract. If either Forrest or Brantley is on a 2-way, that keeps open a spot for Oni.

BTW, I think Brantley is a 3, semantically speaking. So the roster should look like this ---

O'Neale / Gay / Paschall

So with Paschall and Brantley coming on board, Oni might have to get cut.
I think you're right
Oni is odd man out
Unless Jazz make another move this is a much better roster with lots of options for Quin

I like Oni just fine. I just think you can go and get someone just like him almost whenever you want. The only thing is that Oni knows the offense.

I am far more comfortable with Forrest getting Conley injury minutes than Oni. Forrest now knows the offense, so I don't really see the need for Oni if it costs us Forrest or Hughes.

O'Neale / Gay / Paschall

So with Paschall and Brantley coming on board, Oni might have to get cut. I'm hearing mixed messages on whether a player can sign a third 2-way contract. If either Forrest or Brantley is on a 2-way, that keeps open a spot for Oni.
I'd go Conley/Forrest/Butler though. . .

Probably closer to Conley/(Ingles)/ Forrest/Butler

I like Oni just fine. I just think you can go and get someone just like him almost whenever you want. The only thing is that Oni knows the offense.

I am far more comfortable with Forrest getting Conley injury minutes than Oni. Forrest now knows the offense, so I don't really see the need for Oni if it costs us Forrest or Hughes.

I don't think Oni has really improved as a shooter or creator in the past 2 years. I think he is what he is.