What's new

The Jazz have re-Signed Jarrell Brantley

That and I'm not sure if Brantley is really the prototype European player. I don't know how well his game would fit. It's not like NWG who really makes sense as a European player.
Agreed. I also think NWG stayed here long enough to know that he had not shot at becoming a rotational player in the NBA.

I read that under the CBA the Jazz couldn't give Brantley another two way. He had maxed out at two, Another team could give him a two way.

You can play on a two-way for the same team up to 3 years:

Teams are allowed to have up to two players on Two-Way contracts at any time, and teams receive additional roster spots beyond the standard 15 in order to do so (see question number 79). A Two-Way player can be signed starting on July 1 (during the July Moratorium), and can be signed through January 15. A player is ineligible to sign a Two-Way contract if he will have more than three years of NBA service at any point in the contract. A player cannot play under Two-Way contracts for the same team for more than three years total.

Agreed. I also think NWG stayed here long enough to know that he had not shot at becoming a rotational player in the NBA.
Yeah, possibly, but he also got fast-tracked in his European career. It didnt take him long to start being recruited by the top Euro teams where the money and job security is way better.

If Brantley were on a losing team, he'd be getting time and would be doing as well as the likes of Desean Tate and Alize Johnson.

Brantley is becoming pretty solid defensively. His big body and length really slow guys down. He needs to get his 3pt shooting up to 38% or so.

This looks to me like Brantley and his agent saw the writing on the wall that there was a good change Brantley wasn't going to make the roster once the Pachell trade happened. So by signing the QO he gets the guaranteed money even if he gets cut. If he doesn't sign it the Jazz could pull back the QO and ask him to be a 2 way or just make him a FA with out loosing any money.

This looks to me like Brantley and his agent saw the writing on the wall that there was a good change Brantley wasn't going to make the roster once the Pachell trade happened. So by signing the QO he gets the guaranteed money even if he gets cut. If he doesn't sign it the Jazz could pull back the QO and ask him to be a 2 way or just make him a FA with out loosing any money.
This is what happened. Paschall trade combined with playing like **** in summer league led him to take the 84K guarantee and then when cut he may get picked up or find a minimum or another two way somewhere. Can still make like 500k plus his 80k guarantee. Unless he gets a two way I basically guarantee he’s not on the roster next year unless he does a lot better in Vegas.

This is what happened. Paschall trade combined with playing like **** in summer league led him to take the 84K guarantee and then when cut he may get picked up or find a minimum or another two way somewhere. Can still make like 500k plus his 80k guarantee. Unless he gets a two way I basically guarantee he’s not on the roster next year unless he does a lot better in Vegas.
Did he play like crap? I’ve only browsed the stats, highlights, and responses to the games, but that wasn’t my impression.

Did he play like crap? I’ve only browsed the stats, highlights, and responses to the games, but that wasn’t my impression.
He didn't play badly. But he didn't stand out really for a 3 year player. But he definitely hasn't looked like a rotation player on a good team. And I think after last year management wants to make sure we have guys that can play on our deep bench

I saw two out of three games and it was pretty rough. He shot well when spotting up which is good but he’s just kinda chaos… mostly bad chaos. He’s still mildly intriguing and I keep thinking if he was on the court with better players he tones it down… but it’s not super encouraging this far.

So is the consensus that Brantley is going to get cut? I'd kind of be surprised. He seems like the "good vibes" end of bench guy like Niang was before he broke into the rotation.

My thought is that the Jazz signed Brantley to that deal so they can cut him in case of emergency if someone offers Forrest an actual contract. If they don't, Utah can keep Forrest on the last year of his 2-way eligibility and promote him to the main roster next year.

So is the consensus that Brantley is going to get cut? I'd kind of be surprised. He seems like the "good vibes" end of bench guy like Niang was before he broke into the rotation.
I don't think that is consensus by any means. I do think that Brantley and Oni are both going into camp with partial or none guaranteed contracts that can be cut if needed. If they can get Forrest back on a 2 way (might be tough) then I wouldn't be shocked to see both Oni and Brantley on the 15 man roster to start the season. I think that one of them gets cut before there guarantee date if a better prospect comes along.

Not that this bears directly on Brantley or any of the other Jazz players, but I thought it's interesting context:

- Jericho Sims (who just greatly impressed for the Knicks in his first summer league game yesterday) signed a two-way contract
- Neemias Queta (drafted one slot before Jared Butler) just signed a two-way contract with the Kings

Anyone know: what are the ramifications if a second-round pick doesn't want to sign a two-way? Do they have any leverage?

Not that this bears directly on Brantley or any of the other Jazz players, but I thought it's interesting context:

- Jericho Sims (who just greatly impressed for the Knicks in his first summer league game yesterday) signed a two-way contract
- Neemias Queta (drafted one slot before Jared Butler) just signed a two-way contract with the Kings

Anyone know: what are the ramifications if a second-round pick doesn't want to sign a two-way? Do they have any leverage?
The leverage is just how much the team thinks they can tolerate upsetting them.

The leverage they have is to go play in Spain or Australia where the money is not as much. I saw the story about the Utah State center who was selected one pick ahead of our guy and thought this could be a solution to filling out the roster.