What's new

The Legend of Bricky Ricky

Yes, let’s anoint him after a handful of strong games.

Like he doesn’t do this every year.
It's not about the hot shooting. It's about everything else. Rubio has been a high positive impact player nearly ever year in the league. His teams have just really sucked when he isnt on the court. Now he is getting use to the Jazz system he is returning to that and improving his finishing around the rim.

This didn’t get the attention it deserved.

Donovan Mitchell - a rookie - had the BBIQ to know how the defense would play Rubio and realize that it presented them with an opportunity. Then he had the balls and confidence in his teammate to give him the ball to take the better shot - despite Rubio’s struggles. Had Donovan taken the shot and missed - nobody would’ve complained. Instead, he risked having it go bad to make the right pass - to make the right play - to WIN THE GAME. That’s the guy I want running my team.

That was a helluva play. Spida’s gravity pulled Lowry way out of position and provided the team with a great look at the end there. Perfectly executed on his part.
By the way. . . just want to point out that this play in Toronto seems to be a catalyst for Rubio’s string of nice games. There’s clearly a correlation between making that shot and his improved confidence. If he can keep this up the rest of the year, he’s EASILY worth whatever that pick ends up being. I was all in on benching him, but I’m glad that he’s proving me wrong and hopefully that he’s just scratched the surface of what he brings to the table.

Last edited:
Yes, let’s anoint him after a handful of strong games.

Like he doesn’t do this every year.
Well hell. . . if he can play like this in the 2nd half I’d the season (like last year) and in the playoffs (like hopefully this year), then I’m okay with it. Way better to turn it on late, than it is to fade down the stretch.

He can't shoot bro, here is 10,001 times.
He doesn't have to shoot to be a positive force. He just needs to set up the offense, make good passes, play good defense, and make his foul shots -- we know he can do that. What he shouldn't do is force passes, take bad shots, and lose focus on defense, all of which he seems to do after he misses an easy shot. Actually, he just needs to play like Jingling and not look for his own shot and only take shots when he's open or has a good opportunity once he penetrates.

I’m happy for Ricky. I doubted him and his ability to adapt to a winning way but I’m on board at this point. Besides his scoring he has been playing much better overall and seems to have figured out Quinn’s system more. He is also having less catostrophic turn overs during a game and has truly looked like an amazing point guard as of late. Congrats to Ricky, and I hope he has continued success. Donovan has always respected Ricky and laments often how hard he has worked on his game and jumpshot. If the Jazz can adjust Ricky’s jumpshot and make him a better offensive player, it further speaks to the ability of this franchise and the lure it has to players.

By the way. . . just want to point out that this play in Toronto seems to be a catalyst for Rubio’s strong of nice games. There’s clearly a correlation between making that shot and his improved confidence. If he can keep this up the rest of the year, he’s EASILY worth whatever that pick ends up being. I was all in on benching him, but I’m glad that he’s proving me wrong and hopefully that he’s just scratched the surface of what he brings to the table.

Agree on the Toronto game being a turning point, but I don't think making that shot was the real reason. Mitchell passing to him and his teammates trusting him IMO gave him confidence at a time when I'm sure he knew the fans were trashing him.

As bad as Ricky's shooting was, he was taking way more of the blame than he deserved. We've seen the last 2 games how much this team struggles when our 3 point shooters can't hit anything. The shooting problem has been a team issue, and not just a Ricky issue.

After watching our half court offense the last 3 games, I'm just praying Ricky is ok by the end of the break. This team isn't making the playoffs or going anywhere without Rubio running the offense.

What hard work? Was there a post I missed about how many extra hours he put in this off-season or on off days?

Not bagging on Wes here, but wanted to point out what Rubio did after game 1. Eric Woodyard reporting:

The Utah Jazz started film session around noon on Tuesday, then hit the court for practice until roughly 2:30 p.m. at the Chesapeake Energy Arena. As players exited the arena for the team bus, one guy stuck around: Ricky Rubio. For another 30 or so minutes, the Spanish floor general put in extra shooting work with Jazz video analyst Steve Klei.

700561312.jpg