What's new

The Mike Conley trade was the biggest failure in Jazz history

CP3 has the most chokes in playoff history.
Yeah right! Booker called him GOAT at his position last night in an interview. a sentiment shared by many in the NBA. Set a new record hitting 14 of 14 last night in a must win close out. Conley couldn’t do that in his wildest dreams! If he’s a choker, Conley has taken it to a new level. Jim Jackson even commented on his mental struggles when he was so far left on an open layup it ended up being a bad pass to Gobert.

I’ve never heard him described as unathletic. I mean you’re heard of his dad right? The issue with Conley is mental not physical IMO. I mean apart from the age and injury related load management stuff of course. Mental in this series and his first season particularly - dude really has a helluva time pulling out of a slump!
I didn't hear what Mike dad say but to follow Mike for more than 10 years , im not that surprised. I post 4 months ago on Grizz forum telling that while watching most of Jazz games, i was badly surprised by Mike body language and attitude who seems clearly unconfortable. It's not an excuse specially for guys paid millions of dollars but i truly think it did not click and he went unhappy. You can be rich, having a beautiful wife and still feel not well. Mike was one of the leader at the Grizz ( even if not the most vocal one ) but he was closed to the coach there. Something that never happen here.
It will be better for the jazz if they can find an exit solution at the best of their interest. Easy to speak, not easy to do considering his high salary.

Ehh.

I wasn't a huge fan of the move when it happened, but I got it and didn't hate it. The whole point of such a transaction is for the team selling the star to get good future assets. Guess what? Time passed and those look better and Mike looks worse.

The Favors to OKC trade is way more inexcusable and I would argue that makes it worse.
Brandon Clarke averaged 12pt 6reb on 61% shooting his rookie season and that same season Mike Conley averaged 14pt 4ast on 40% shooting for us, while getting paid over 30mil to do so

It was supposed to be Conley's best year and Clarke's worst since Conley would get worse as Clarke get better, right?

Mike Conley had only one good season for the Jazz in three seasons that was last year. He didn't just get worse each year. He spent one season to get "acclimated" then played well in his contract year, and immediately after he got paid by the Jazz, he just reverted back to his old self. And that one good season wasn't even that good if you think about the money we were paying him.

Last edited:
Also iirc conley badmouthed the jazz in the media right before we traded for him.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Brandon Clarke averaged 12pt 6reb on 61% shooting his rookie season and that same season Mike Conley averaged 14pt 4ast on 40% shooting for us, while getting paid over 30mil to do so

It was supposed to be Conley's best year and Clarke's worst since Conley would get worse as Clarke get better, right?

Mike Conley had only one good season for the Jazz in three seasons that was last year. He didn't just get worse each year. He spent one season to get "acclimated" then played well in his contract year, and immediately after he got paid by the Jazz, he just reverted back to his old self. And that one good season wasn't even that good if you think about the money we were paying him.

Conley was great to start the season. He was our most consistent player besides Gobert to start the year. He fell off a big cliff in February. I'm not sure if it was physical (carrying the team through January) or mental (dealing with our locker room, something not basketball related, etc.)

It is mortgaging the future if you think about the number of picks we gave up just so we can pay Conley's bill in the last three seasons.

We gave up like what? Seven 2nd round picks and two 1st round picks just so we could save a total of 10mil in cash?

And we've paid Mike Conley a total of 90mil since 2019

Im gonna go puke now thanks

Why does this thread have 50+ posts? Everybody should agree.

We have paid $90 millon, sacrificed all salary cap flexibility, gave up TWO 1st round picks, and a few equally talented players for...

A guy who didn't lead us to one playoff win in his 3 postseasons here. Not one time did he push us over the top. Not once. Pathetic.

If you are arguing with this thread, shame on you for not acknowledging the truth - the Mike Conley trade killed the Rudy and Don era.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
It's because everyone wants everyone else to know that they were all individually right when literally no one else believed them that the Conley trade was a bad idea.

You know the way a full half of the board didn't want him in the first place. Only everyone was unique in that assessment and wants everyone to know they had it figured out when no one else did.

Except half the board.

Lmao, so you predicted Chris Paul would still be a top 20 player at age 37?

Show me post where you say this **** without hindsight. You just complain about every damn thing

I thought cp3 had one of the worst contracts in the league when he was with the rockets. I didnt see cp3 being this good right now for sure. And i have always been a cp3 fan.

I did see the conley trade as a bad idea from the start.

Also where is this energy for the Donovan missed FT in the clutch? He makes that and we aren't rushing the ball down the court to get a shot. We are running the clock out for a game winner or OT

Missed free throws happen literally all the time. Travels? Not so much.
Conley was the worst player in the series as well (according to your own grades) so that makes us focus on him as well.

Ehh.

I wasn't a huge fan of the move when it happened, but I got it and didn't hate it. The whole point of such a transaction is for the team selling the star to get good future assets. Guess what? Time passed and those look better and Mike looks worse.

The Favors to OKC trade is way more inexcusable and I would argue that makes it worse.

I always hated the conley trade but ya, at least they took a swing. I just thought they should have used those assets and took a swing at a different position or at least a big pg.

I think that the main mistake in this trade was how the FO underestimate how Mike will fit at Utah. Do not forget that Mike play 13 years in the same club and city he name home. Moving a guy with this characteristics was risky. He struggling mentally and physically since. FO should find a way to trade him, but won't be easy.

Missed free throws happen literally all the time. Travels? Not so much.
Conley was the worst player in the series as well (according to your own grades) so that makes us focus on him as well.

That's the irony of this whole thing isn't it? Cy made 10 threads to bash DM but the harsh reality is that we probably would've gotten swept if it wasn't for Donovan.

Conley being the worst player in the series who also happened to be the third highest paid player on the floor(paid twice as much as Luka) is what doomed the Jazz.

I didn't hear what Mike dad say but to follow Mike for more than 10 years , im not that surprised. I post 4 months ago on Grizz forum telling that while watching most of Jazz games, i was badly surprised by Mike body language and attitude who seems clearly unconfortable. It's not an excuse specially for guys paid millions of dollars but i truly think it did not click and he went unhappy. You can be rich, having a beautiful wife and still feel not well. Mike was one of the leader at the Grizz ( even if not the most vocal one ) but he was closed to the coach there. Something that never happen here.
It will be better for the jazz if they can find an exit solution at the best of their interest. Easy to speak, not easy to do considering his high salary.
There’s a scene in Winning Time where Jerry West tells Magic, “I didn’t want you because you smile too much”. (Kind of a turning point in the ascendancy of Magic as a competitor in the series.) Exactly the way that I feel about Conley - just not committed and mean enough. And Yes, I agree, unloading Conley is not going to be easy.