What's new

The Missing Piece

I like J. Brown on the Celtics. I know he isn't a FA but how are the Celtics going to afford Irving, Hayward, and Horford. Tatum and Brown are going to get paid.

Lol.

Brown has 3 more seasons before he gets paid. The Celtics are under no pressure to trade him. In fact its the exact opposite. He is a good player on a good deal. He will also probably be better than Hayward, and is younger with healthy feet. Hayward goes before Brown does

You all need to take a break until free agency actually starts.

People talking themselves into Andrew ****ing Wiggins who’s five year max deal doesn’t even start until next year? Jesus Christ.

Thinking we can get Jaylen Brown?

Everyone take a couple weeks off.

I’m wondering if going even smaller could be an answer to the Dubs.

We’re not finding the next Draymond. But if we find someone 6’6” who’s long and strong and most importantly, has a quick first step, and could get by Draymond (or other slightly bigger 4’s) off the dribble and attack the rim, we could combat one reason why they (and other small ball teams) are so effective. Obviously that player would have to be able to shoot but I’m wondering if that’s one way to go.

I can’t imagine they’d trade him given his potential, age and contract, but since they absolutely fell apart, I wonder what it would take to get Anunoby from the Raptors.

Quite frankly, we just don’t have **** to trade. That’s the biggest issue in acquiring guys. Our core pieces seem off the table and everyone else sort of sucks.

Assuming he agrees to a contract extension, at least in principle, then yes, I'd give a late 20s pick plus Burks and Jerebko. He's provide a real boost to the team on the offensive end, and I don't find his defense that worrisome. It's no worse than Burks', and is better than Jerebko's.
I would consider that deal if he agreed to a reasonable extension that is around his current deal price range. I dont think his defense is any better than Jerebkos but his offense is better.

Paul Millsap or Serge ibaka?

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app
Those are both very interesting names, not because they’re ideal but because I think they’d be 100% attainable because of their contracts. Ibaka has $22 and $23M left next two seasons. Millsap is like $29M next year and a $30M team option after that.

I haven’t seen Ibaka play this year but it sounds like everyone talks as if he really sucked. But I’d bet you could land him with Burks and unguaranteed guys.

Lets recap..

People want to trade for Wiggins. An overrated talent who is overpaid on a team who isnt going to trade him to you for your scraps. Because despite my opinion on him they are going to see it through for at least a couple years unless you gave them Mitchell or Gobert. I would too if I was them.

Harris, a guy who only scores the ball. Doesnt help his teams win. Has been passed around the league. Is on a 1 year deal. About to be overpaid. You have to release Favors, and pay up yo get him.

Other ideas.....lets just get J. brown, AD, or KAT. Cause its easy.

All that over Mario Hezonja who is an unrestricted free agent. Just barely turned 23. Was buried on the Magic bench for the last 3 years because there were players in front of him that most coaches would feel pressured to play in front of him. He was a high draft pick with a lot of upside and untapped potential. Showed enough last season when he finally got his chance and gave you a peek at what he could do. But not too much so you dont have to throw a huge contract at him to get him. Its basically a perfect scenario to pick up an up and coming talent for cheap, and not have to put in the wait time like you would a rookie. You also have a chance to keep Favors and or Exum. And you dont give up an picks. Maybe you give away Burks.

Last edited:
Those are both very interesting names, not because they’re ideal but because I think they’d be 100% attainable because of their contracts. Ibaka has $22 and $23M left next two seasons. Millsap is like $29M next year and a $30M team option after that.

I haven’t seen Ibaka play this year but it sounds like everyone talks as if he really sucked. But I’d bet you could land him with Burks and unguaranteed guys.

Ibaka is somewhat interesting. Toronto is weird with their minutes. They like to split them up with their bigs. Maybe that wore on Ibaka. If we picked him up and got old Ibaka that would be a hell of a pick up.

Quite frankly, we just don’t have **** to trade.

But we do. All 3 of our non-guaranteed deals (Thabo, Jonas, Ekpe) could be gold for a team trying to get under the tax or be a big player when the free agent period begins. Thus, those contracts could be very valuable during the draft as long as we are willing to take back some salary. Sure, they won't get us a star but maybe a starter if they are combined with a future asset (lottery protected pick)

Last edited:
But we do. All 3 of our non-guaranteed deals (Thabo, Jonas, Ekpe) could be gold for a team trying to get under the tax or be a big player when the free agent period begins. Thus, those contracts could be very valuable during the draft as long as we are willing to take back some salary. Sure, they won't get us a start but maybe a starter if they are combined with a future asset (lottery protected pick)

What kind of player could that possibly net us? Not someone who’s gonna get us over the hump.

I still think we should trade with the Wizards. They cant afford to pay everyone and they need to dump some players. They want to dump Gortat and I dont think they can afford to pay Oubre when he becomes a UFA.

Gortat and Oubre for our dumpable contracts. Udoh, Sef and Jerebko.

I would be bummed to lose Sef but Gortat could be our backup center and Oubre is a big upgrade at wing and fits perfect with our defensive identity and age.

Then we could chase Gordon or Parker with a sign and trade. Bucks would be more likely to trade Parker for a decent price for Favors. I have no idea what Orlando would want or where they are going as a franchise. But I think they might be willing to move on from Gordon for the right offer.

No thanks to Wiggins. If he asks to leave Minny, it's because he "doesn't like his role". Translated, that means he wants to be the guy with the balls in hands more often than not. We have Mitchell for that.

As for Harris, discounting his value because his teams have struggled is pretty silly. Oladipo has been fantastic after leaving Orlando. Detroit has been a dumpster fire even with multiple all star Blake Griffen added. The Clippers lost Chris Paul and had some injuries. Now I'm not sold that Harris is perfect, but he's definitely more of an asset than Favors. Y'all have to realize that Favors and Gobert simply cannot play at the same time together against Houston or GS. They didn't last year and they didn't much this year. And please don't cite injuries as some lame excuse. The reason is that Favors doesn't provide the floor spacing on offense and we could use more athleticism on smaller guys on the defensive end.

Paul George, Jaylen Brown (at least not anytime soon), and Aaron Gordon are not options.

Keep Exum, sign Hezonja to any deal south of $10 million, keep Favors on a short term deal with team options, and trade the non-guaranteeds for the best deal possible. If it meant getting a better 2019 pick, I would trade #21 and the non-guaranteeds. A healthy current roster with Hezonja is really exciting. Tons of potential as everybody looks to improve.

I still think we should trade with the Wizards. They cant afford to pay everyone and they need to dump some players. They want to dump Gortat and I dont think they can afford to pay Oubre when he becomes a UFA.

Gortat and Oubre for our dumpable contracts. Udoh, Sef and Jerebko.

I would be bummed to lose Sef but Gortat could be our backup center and Oubre is a big upgrade at wing and fits perfect with our defensive identity and age.

Gortat makes a lot of sense for us, but I think we should do it like this:

Jerekbo, Udoh, and a small salary like McCree or Stockton for Gortat and #17. http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y85pbkp5

Why for Washington - if they did this trade before the draft, they avoid the luxury this year. That's massive for a team destined to be in the luxury in the coming years. Being in the luxury sucks. Being a repeat offender for a mediocre team can bring everything down. Sure, it hurts losing #17 a little, but the luxury savings this year and probably next is worth it. Maybe we throw in our 2nd (#52) and a future 2nd to ease the pain.

Why for us - this move might be the end of Favors or it might not. Either way, we know backup C is okay for next season should Favors go elsewhere. We could then concentrate on wing play. #17 is a nice little trade chip to combine with #21, flip for a future 1st or just select best player available.

What kind of player could that possibly net us? Not someone who’s gonna get us over the hump.

As I said, a starter. Or worst case a very good role player. Maybe someone like Farouq-Aminu or guys like that on a capped out team (Satoransky on the Wizards, Lamb or Kaminsky on Hornets, etc). We also own all of our picks. As much as I would hate it, in the right package even Royce O'Neal could help us get a very good player (any team could use a bargain like him). What about sign & trades? (I can see some teams using it this summer). We could get lucky, buy low and acquire an up-and-coming player from a dumb GM the way the Thunder did with Oladipo.

The thing is, I disagree with the statement that we don't have **** to trade. Yeah, we are not Boston or Philly, who are full of future picks/assets and thus can pursue trades for stars. But we have some non-guaranteed contracts, our own picks and a couple of good players on team friendly deals can help us nab good players (even better than the ones I mentioned). Can't wait for the draft.

I'm fine with Jabari if DL somehow manages to sign him on a KCP type of one year deal + possibly team option for a second year. We simply can't lose in that kind of deal.

Gortat makes a lot of sense for us, but I think we should do it like this:

Jerekbo, Udoh, and a small salary like McCree or Stockton for Gortat and #17. http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y85pbkp5

Why for Washington - if they did this trade before the draft, they avoid the luxury this year. That's massive for a team destined to be in the luxury in the coming years. Being in the luxury sucks. Being a repeat offender for a mediocre team can bring everything down. Sure, it hurts losing #17 a little, but the luxury savings this year and probably next is worth it. Maybe we throw in our 2nd (#52) and a future 2nd to ease the pain.

Why for us - this move might be the end of Favors or it might not. Either way, we know backup C is okay for next season should Favors go elsewhere. We could then concentrate on wing play. #17 is a nice little trade chip to combine with #21, flip for a future 1st or just select best player available.

Yeah, I dont care about their pick at all. So I am only taking Gortat if it nets us a solid player like Oubre. That pick is not worth that much to the current Jazz squad. I would rather keep Favors and pay him what Gortat is making for the next 2 years than trade for Gortat and a non late 1st round pick.

Yeah, I dont care about their pick at all. So I am only taking Gortat if it nets us a solid player like Oubre. That pick is not worth that much to the current Jazz squad. I would rather keep Favors and pay him what Gortat is making for the next 2 years than trade for Gortat and a non late 1st round pick.

If we wanted, we could keep Favors and have Gortat. Pretty much, it would be Jerekbo and Udoh vs Gortat and a 1st. I think #17 has some value.

No thanks to Wiggins. If he asks to leave Minny, it's because he "doesn't like his role". Translated, that means he wants to be the guy with the balls in hands more often than not. We have Mitchell for that.

I understand that take and I would not give up anything of value for him but I still think it well worth the risk if we didnt give up anything of much value for him. Reality is they want something for him and so we cant get him anyways. He has huge potential still and they know that.
but he's definitely more of an asset than Favors.
Thats debatable. He has far less utility and is a much worse defender and rebounder.
Y'all have to realize that Favors and Gobert simply cannot play at the same time together against Houston or GS. They didn't last year and they didn't much this year. And please don't cite injuries as some lame excuse.
Its not a lame excuse its a fact, they were hurt last year. Favors also got hurt this series and didnt play the last 2 games which really hurt our team and is one of the reasons we didnt win those games. In the regular season when Favors and Gobert played together against GS we crushed them.

Besides its a terrible way to build a team to counter 1 or 2 teams. You build to be the best team you can be and you dont worry what 1 specific team is doing. Who knows what happens the next year. Any player could get hurt or be on a different team.

Favors/Rubio were our best 2 man rotations in the playoffs this year. Oh, and the best of any team in the playoffs and they played together plenty. Oh guess who was our 3rd best 2 man rotation? Favors and Gobert. They played together this year in the playoffs 162 minutes and were a plus 10.9. Guess who was 4th combo? Favors and Mitchell. Guess who was 5th? Favors and Ingles.

We really missed our starting PG against Houston that is why we lost. If Rubio played stats say this was a different series. It had nothing to do with Gobert and Favors they played well together like they did all season and like they always have when healthy.

If we wanted, we could keep Favors and have Gortat. Pretty much, it would be Jerekbo and Udoh vs Gortat and a 1st. I think #17 has some value.
That is not worth it for us. Taking that giant dump of a contract for a position we have 0 need for is not worth a late pick.

I think some people are overvaluing a draft pick because of Mitchell and to a lesser extent Gobert. Rookies dont contribute to winning 99% of the time.