What's new

The Missing Piece

Sign Mario Hezonja as an affordable, promising, young free agent.

PLUS get ambitious in the draft this year. Take a bad contract (one or two year only) so we can get into the lower lottery. Draft somebody like Jackson, either Bridges, Knox, best SF/PF.

We just hope and pray that Exum, Herzonja and/or that pick emerges as something special.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Because of the cost associated with obtaining any of the people discussed here, I say pass on all of them. There isn't a piece out there that beats GS next year or the year after if it stays together. Internal development/progression of Exum, Mitchell, Oneale, Crowder, Rudy, Rubio, and Bradley still creates a very nice situation if Ingles, Thabo, Favors, Jerebko, and whoever else just maintain a normal depreciation curve. I think/hope Burks is gone because the Jazz just don't utilize his ability due to his intelligence, and perhaps he can help the Jazz obtain a very nice player with the addition of someone else. Having said that, if you can get Butler, George, or Leonard, without giving up Rudy or Donovan, that's a no brainer. Anyone that is at that level (top ten player) is going to have an occasional personality problem/issue, but I trust Quinn/Dennis would be able to work them in no problem. In no circumstance would I personally advocate for Middleton, Porter, Parker, because they don't move the needle, and input cost exceeds gain significantly. Not sure about Wiggins. Still think he could be great, but not under Thibs, who should never be a head coach, but is an all time top defense coach. Under Quinn, he might be the Missing Piece.

My two cents... Jabari has more red flags than checked boxes.

Injury history
Defensive issues
Has some me first (much worse than PG imo)
Restricted FA means if u want him you likely give something up to Milwaukee to get him.

He’s a good but streaky shooter.
Can get his own shot but I’m not sure he’s elite.
Rest of his game ranges from meh to bad.

Theoretically he’s the guy we need but he’s actually not really at all. Would be a huge risk and would be a crushing blow if it fails.

I remember someone posting an article about knee injuries being tied to how NBA players run the court. Those that land on their heels are much more prone to knee injuries due to the constant heavier impact, but those that run on their toes get less of those injuries as the impact is lessened enough to keep them healthy. There were some examples, and Jabari was used as an example of running on the heels, thus the injuries. I don't know how true it is, but it was compelling. I've been leery of him since reading that because no matter how good someone is, if there is a high likelihood of injury how good they are doesn't matter.

IMO George or Leonard or Butler make us contenders next year, without a doubt. If you can get one you take it and run. That said, none of them would come here and they each have their own set of problems as well that might not mesh as well with our group.

Frankly, AD would be phenomenal in this group. Alongside Gobert, in his more comfortable position as PF, running with DM and Rubio. Wow. We have absolutely no way to get him, but, wow. Just wow.

Rubio
DM
Ingles
AD
Gobert

Oh to dream.

My gut says Favors is more likely to be on the Jazz next season than Exum.

My gut says DL drafted those two studs (Gobert & Mitchell), and that he might have to pull another rabbit out of his hat this time either through the draft, or by magically getting one of those proven stars to stop here.

I remember someone posting an article about knee injuries being tied to how NBA players run the court. Those that land on their heels are much more prone to knee injuries due to the constant heavier impact, but those that run on their toes get less of those injuries as the impact is lessened enough to keep them healthy. There were some examples, and Jabari was used as an example of running on the heels, thus the injuries. I don't know how true it is, but it was compelling. I've been leery of him since reading that because no matter how good someone is, if there is a high likelihood of injury how good they are doesn't matter.

It's not only that but he tore already repaired ACL in the same knee - that to me is the biggest red flag. Typically ACL grafts are twice as strong as original ACL's and re-injury usually ( not 100% but close to 80-90% of the cases) happens because of botched surgery ( too wide of the tunnels or them being drilled in wrong anatomical positions.) Not saying I know exactly what happened with Jabari's first surgery, but this scares the hell out for me.

Go read the definition of moot and start using it correctly (not as mute point) and you'll cheer up.
?

moot point:
  1. open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: Whether that was the cause of their troubles is a moot point.
  2. of little or no practical value, meaning, or relevance; purely academic:

moot:
  1. subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty, and typically not admitting of a final decision.
    "whether the temperature rise was mainly due to the greenhouse effect was a moot point"
    synonyms: debatable, open to discussion/question, arguable, questionable, at issue, open to doubt, disputable, controversial, contentious, disputed, unresolved, unsettled, up in the air
    "a moot point"

At least one of us learned what the correct definition is though, right?

Last edited:
Sounds like Klay Thompson will sign an extension this offseason... I'd expect Jimmy Butler to do the same... Kawhi may also do the same. If Tobias and Khris sign extensions (I don't think Milwaukee can get the # high enough for it to make sense for Khris) then our 2019 cap space is not super valuable.

Another thing I heard on the ESPN podcast was Windhorst talking about getting the financials for the NBA teams... specifically mentioned the Jazz net number of like 35ish M in profit last year. I think he said it was like top ten in the league.

So as a small market we make money... we've been very responsible last 7 years or so and I expect us to spend what it takes to build a winner when the time comes. I don't want to hear us whining about us being a small market and not being able to do things like take on bad money, buy picks, etc. Based on when the Millers bought the Jazz (some of these new owners are highly leveraged because of their purchase price) and the success we've had financially the last few years the money is there.

Sounds like Klay Thompson will sign an extension this offseason... I'd expect Jimmy Butler to do the same... Kawhi may also do the same. If Tobias and Khris sign extensions (I don't think Milwaukee can get the # high enough for it to make sense for Khris) then our 2019 cap space is not super valuable.
This is part of why I'm more interested in making a push now (but am not abandoning 2019 because of Middleton, Harris, Mirotic).

This is part of why I'm more interested in making a push now (but am not abandoning 2019 because of Middleton, Harris, Mirotic).

I think we definitely poke around and look for a good deal. If we could get a meeting with Aaron Gordon and see if he can leverage a sign and trade that feels like the best match of both a guy that is possible, fits the timeline, and has some untapped upside.

Orlando would have to be worried that he will sign a 3+1 with a different team and include all the poisonous aspects that Otto Porter did. That contract is still tradeable, but won't net a lot because only two years left and it is over market. At that point they may settle for a first and short contracts. It has too many moving parts to really work, but the threat may be enough for them to say let's just work a sign and trade and get what we can.