What's new

The Offseason Cha-cha-changes Thread

If you're not going to spend most of your money making the world a better place, what is the point of being a billionaire if you're not going to spend your money on your professional sports franchise?

And by that I mean **** the additional revenue the team might get for dragging out the inevitable. Sure, try to get out of the tax, but it's asset-collection time.

Trade him
Trade all of them. Never thought watching the jazz would make me hate basketball. When Mitchell passed it to Conley at the end down one I breathed a sigh of relief. At that point I knew the jazz would lose. Then idiot Quin helped me further by drawing up a three point play. Lmao. The jazz haven’t been able to buy a three all series long and they still draw up a play for a three. Lmao. Quin is an idiot. That’s almost as bad as the Seahawks calling a pass play in the Super Bowl instead of giving it to one of the best power backs in the game from the two yard line. Lol

I am soooooo ready for a clean slate…

Close to everyone on this roster has lived long enough to become the villain. I just don’t want to watch most of these guys as part of our team next year.

Pretty upsetting to be a Jazz fan and see the events of the past 3 years in particular come playoff time. They seem hell-bent on shooting the 3 ball and are prone to some very poor decision making especially on offence. DM and JC are about the only players on the team who can consistently get their own shot away off the dribble or in the lane and l think this puts added pressure on DM and JC to the point where they try and do too much or take bad shots. When the 3's are falling, its happy days and when they aren't....well you all know what happens. Don't get me wrong, l love Rudy and what he brings but bottom line is you need a Centre with some sort of offensive game, be it some post moves or a jumper. Rudy doesn't have either! They've no true big bodied power forward who can handle the ball, post up or shoot the jumper. I don't feel a point guard is as important as a gun Shooting Guard, Power Forward or Centre. Your PG should have the ability to read the game really well, have good handles and be able to distribute the ball and drive into the lane from time to time and give his teammates good opportunities to score. Look at the other teams, their Centre's can all shoot the jumper and have some post moves. 76ers - Embiid, Raptors - Siakam, Suns - Ayton, Nuggs - Jokic, Pels - Valanciunas, Bulls - Vucevic, heck even Lopez has a jumper and some post moves! C's got Horford and Williams, Heat - Bam, Wolves - KAT, Kings - Sabonis, Spurs - Poeltl and the list goes on. Teams that don't have a scoring Centre have a gun PG who can either create his own shot or set his teammates up AKA Morant and Young & they're both small but Morant has nuclear level athleticism and Young can score in amongst the big fellas and find teammates, when he's not trying to bomb 3's. The Warriors Centre is no good, but they've got at least 4 players who can create their own shot or get teammates involved when they draw the Defence. Don't know about you guys, but i'd rather pair DM with Julius Randle and send Rudy packing. Randle alongside DM is far better than Rudy and DM. If they could pickup a Centre who wasn't a star but could play some D and had a jumpshot and play Randle at PF then the team would be better. McGee has been a great backup for Ayton at the Suns, Gafford can ball, Isiah Stewart.....there's a few to be found.

Don't think they can get Randle though without Mitchell being involved, if they could then i'd go for it. The Knicks were in the same boat as the Jazz, practically 2 players would could create (Randle & RJ) and it puts to much pressure on them to make plays consistently which nobody in this league can do night in night out. Get Randle and get a Centre from god damn somewhere. Get rid of Rudy (both Gobert & Gay) and Conley and let Forrest or Butler have a crack at running the show. They're only 23 and 21 respectively.

Lets say they could somehow get Randle for Rudy or involve a 3rd team and find a borderline starter/second string Centre (for Conley) who can play better than that status if given more court time. Also, Royce is not a PF!

Depth Chart

PG SG SF PF C

Trent Forrest Donovan Mitchell Royce O'neal Julius Randle ????? Maybe Gafford or Isiah Stewart
Jared Butler Jordan Clarkson Bojan Bogdanovic Eric Paschall Hassan Whiteside

They've still got House Jnr who i'd be looking to keep, Hernangomez & Alexander Walker (SG/SF/PF) who both have size and haven't got much of a run from Quin and Udoka as a 3rd stringer. I reckon this team would go better than we currently have. FFS do something Jazz Front Office..........

Great stuff here from Andy Larsen, as usual.

Well, what a mess of a season that was​

The Jazz internally had championship aspirations this season. They didn’t even come close.

To be honest, I was always selling on the Jazz being “true championship contenders” this year. Essentially, I didn’t think they addressed their biggest problems in the offseason, and so a well-equipped team like the Clippers were last season could beat them again in the same way.

We saw some of that, for sure. If this team could defend on the perimeter a little better, I think they make it through this series.

But did they really have championship potential? NBA champions have at least one of and usually both of these two factors:

• Top-5 NBA talent
• Unusually good team chemistry

Obviously, the former is really common: Michael Jordan, LeBron James, and so on. But you can still win a championship without a top-5 guy: the Detroit Pistons and later-era San Antonio Spurs are proof of that.

So in order to win it, they probably needed growth from either Mitchell or Gobert to become top-5 NBA players... and they didn’t have that. I’m not sure we saw significant, overall growth from either guy this season. Gobert got more rebounds, and there were points where Mitchell played amazingly — but those bright spots were counteracted by awful clutch play and puzzling decisions.

What we can say for certain is that the Jazz did not have unusually good team chemistry. I would go so far as to say they had unusually bad team chemistry. Players from other NBA teams don’t snipe at each other in the media. They rarely snipe at the media. They don’t like Tweets and Instagram posts that reflect poorly on their teammates. They don’t repeatedly call for accountability, or repeatedly insist upon the need to trust each other more. The coach usually does not have to go on a 19-minute monologue insisting that everything is fine, because the players sit at the same table sometimes. These are unusual NBA team characteristics.

So, yeah, they failed. And as a result, there’s going to be a big shakeup.
What comes next? Well, there’s a lot of unknown there. Over the next few days, we’ll reveal more about what we know and might be on the plate for the Jazz this offseason. On paper, the Jazz have no draft picks, no cap room, so months ago it was looking like a quiet offseason — but this team’s failure is going to necessitate major changes.

I know a lot of fans feel this way too: this team was joyless to watch, all season long. That makes covering a team really difficult. I love the NBA, love basketball, and love this job, but when the vibes are this desperately negative, it’s tough to keep up.

Pretty upsetting to be a Jazz fan and see the events of the past 3 years in particular come playoff time. They seem hell-bent on shooting the 3 ball and are prone to some very poor decision making especially on offence. DM and JC are about the only players on the team who can consistently get their own shot away off the dribble or in the lane and l think this puts added pressure on DM and JC to the point where they try and do too much or take bad shots. When the 3's are falling, its happy days and when they aren't....well you all know what happens. Don't get me wrong, l love Rudy and what he brings but bottom line is you need a Centre with some sort of offensive game, be it some post moves or a jumper. Rudy doesn't have either! They've no true big bodied power forward who can handle the ball, post up or shoot the jumper. I don't feel a point guard is as important as a gun Shooting Guard, Power Forward or Centre. Your PG should have the ability to read the game really well, have good handles and be able to distribute the ball and drive into the lane from time to time and give his teammates good opportunities to score. Look at the other teams, their Centre's can all shoot the jumper and have some post moves. 76ers - Embiid, Raptors - Siakam, Suns - Ayton, Nuggs - Jokic, Pels - Valanciunas, Bulls - Vucevic, heck even Lopez has a jumper and some post moves! C's got Horford and Williams, Heat - Bam, Wolves - KAT, Kings - Sabonis, Spurs - Poeltl and the list goes on. Teams that don't have a scoring Centre have a gun PG who can either create his own shot or set his teammates up AKA Morant and Young & they're both small but Morant has nuclear level athleticism and Young can score in amongst the big fellas and find teammates, when he's not trying to bomb 3's. The Warriors Centre is no good, but they've got at least 4 players who can create their own shot or get teammates involved when they draw the Defence. Don't know about you guys, but i'd rather pair DM with Julius Randle and send Rudy packing. Randle alongside DM is far better than Rudy and DM. If they could pickup a Centre who wasn't a star but could play some D and had a jumpshot and play Randle at PF then the team would be better. McGee has been a great backup for Ayton at the Suns, Gafford can ball, Isiah Stewart.....there's a few to be found.

Don't think they can get Randle though without Mitchell being involved, if they could then i'd go for it. The Knicks were in the same boat as the Jazz, practically 2 players would could create (Randle & RJ) and it puts to much pressure on them to make plays consistently which nobody in this league can do night in night out. Get Randle and get a Centre from god damn somewhere. Get rid of Rudy (both Gobert & Gay) and Conley and let Forrest or Butler have a crack at running the show. They're only 23 and 21 respectively.

Lets say they could somehow get Randle for Rudy or involve a 3rd team and find a borderline starter/second string Centre (for Conley) who can play better than that status if given more court time. Also, Royce is not a PF!

Depth Chart

PG SG SF PF C

Trent Forrest Donovan Mitchell Royce O'neal Julius Randle ????? Maybe Gafford or Isiah Stewart
Jared Butler Jordan Clarkson Bojan Bogdanovic Eric Paschall Hassan Whiteside

They've still got House Jnr who i'd be looking to keep, Hernangomez & Alexander Walker (SG/SF/PF) who both have size and haven't got much of a run from Quin and Udoka as a 3rd stringer. I reckon this team would go better than we currently have. FFS do something Jazz Front Office..........
What CP3 is doing at his age is incredible, he was never that gifted athletically but his basketball IQ is off the charts. He makes up for his lack of athleticism with his craftiness and cunning. He reads the play better than anyone and knows when to force the issue and when to backoff. Great traits that a quality PG needs to have, athleticism is the bonus. Conley was crafty back in the Grizzlies Grit & Grind era, but they had Zac, Gasol and Allen to ball with him and Zac was a genius at getting his way with strength, some go to post moves and a jumpshot not athleticism and Gasol could ball in his younger days. Having these guys around made Conley what he was.