What's new

The OKC game has convinced me that jazz need to throw money at jabari

Jabari Parker with some dumbass comments today... saying only way to get playing time was to be on coach's good side...

Yes a guy coaching for an NBA job isn't playing you when he knows it will make his team better because you aren't on his good side. Also, fantastic timing as your team is trying to win a playoff series.

I'm out on Jabari... too many red flags... too much BS

I've been saying all along, stay far away from Jabari. Whoever pays his next deal is going to end up with a bad contract.

The fact that some fans want to give up a pick for the privilege of overpaying this guy is disturbing.

There are much better options in 2019 than 2018. Just keep money available. If DL needs to pick someone up, do it for a 1 year deal, or trade for someone on the last year of their deal. Guys I like better than Parker in 2019, some realistic, some not.

Kawhi(PO)
Butler(PO)
Thompson
Irving
Love(PO)
Mirotic
Tobias Harris
Khris Middleton (PO)
Paul Milsap (team option for 30 million)

Lots of other names out there that will possibly be FA in that offseason too. I'm sure there are a few other players that would fit. Maybe we will just want to resign Rubio at that point, but I'd be upset if DL didn't at least try for some of the guys listed above.
You're not accounting for cap holds. Jazz can't sign other FA's and then re-sign their own (e.g Rubio).

Jazz would need to take a step back next year and not re-sign Favors or Exum, replacing them with rookies or vets on one-year contracts. All in the hope that one of the above decides Utah is the place. I think it's much more logical to expect Lindsey to use Burks' expiring and assets at next season's deadline like whoever we draft this year, Bradley (if he shows some promise), maybe even Exum on a good deal if Dante starts playing well. There will be teams deciding to rebuild and Lindsey won't be overvaluing the Jazz' pick which should be in the mid to late 20's.

Or, maybe a trade gets done this summer. Just because the Jazz draft a player doesn't mean his rights can't be traded later (like Wiggins for Love). It's entirely possible, for example, that if Lebron leaves, Love will be moved.

^Another key consideration is chemistry. Rubio and Donovan have grown pretty close. You can see it. I'm not sure how Donovan would feel if the Jazz say adios to his amigo. There's no doubt Utah needs better production from their bench. IMO, three issues need to be addressed:
1. Backup PG/combo guard. Is Dante the answer?
2. Backup or starting PF. What happens with Favs? If Crowder can't improve his shooting, I don't see him as an answer.
3. One more wing. Maybe that's O'Neal, maybe not. But eventually Ingles will start to wear down.

You're not accounting for cap holds. Jazz can't sign other FA's and then re-sign their own (e.g Rubio).

Jazz would need to take a step back next year and not re-sign Favors or Exum, replacing them with rookies or vets on one-year contracts. All in the hope that one of the above decides Utah is the place. I think it's much more logical to expect Lindsey to use Burks' expiring and assets at next season's deadline like whoever we draft this year, Bradley (if he shows some promise), maybe even Exum on a good deal if Dante starts playing well. There will be teams deciding to rebuild and Lindsey won't be overvaluing the Jazz' pick which should be in the mid to late 20's.

Or, maybe a trade gets done this summer. Just because the Jazz draft a player doesn't mean his rights can't be traded later (like Wiggins for Love). It's entirely possible, for example, that if Lebron leaves, Love will be moved.

They don't need to resign Rubio. I love Rubio, but if it came to him or Butler/Thompson/Kawhi, Bye Rubio. If Rubio plays well, Use some combination of Exum/Crowder/Favors/Bradley/next years first and a future pick to make a sign and trade happen. If a player says he wants to come, there will be ways. I guess signing someone this offseason doesn't eliminate that possibility either. I just want them to have the options. The way Favors has been playing, he's going to get a lot more than the 12 million or so I was hoping, but Exum might be closer to 7-8 million.

I'd be fine with a deadline trade or a trade in the offseason for the right guy. Don't know that we have a lot of assets in the offseason, but at the deadline, if we resign Exum/Favors we'll have a lot more, and a guy with an expiring contract wouldn't be that expensive.

Hopefully the Jazz throw the money far enough that he can't even see us as we make our escape!

A lot of this depends on how much Favors wants to return and what his price point will be. Favors might be as big a risk as Jabari, tbh. This is his first healthy year in several. In a perfect world, Favors returns, Crowder becomes a reliable 3pt shooter after spending a summer with the development staff, and Lindsey drafts or trades for one more shooter.