What's new

The Paths Forward From Here

Which path should we take?

• Compete now - Trade for a "star" (Dejounte Murray, Zach LaVine, Quickley, or a similar type player)

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Chill mode - Just ride the fence until next offseason

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Consolidate and roll with the young players more - trade some of KO, THT, Clarkson, Collins, Sexton

Votes: 50 65.8%
  • Tank City - Pursue a Lauri trade that nets us a haul and start a true 3-4 year tank

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters
I’m somewhere between #1 and #3. Couldn’t vote #1 because LaVine’s name is in there. My hybrid pathway would be to both look to acquire longer-term talent while getting rid of minute-occupiers that aren’t long-term pieces and are sucking up playing time of guys we need to develop. We’re currently doing the exact opposite.

The fact that the Knicks reportedly balked at 25M per season for IQ lets me know they may be willing to part with him if the price is right. It would be much easier for us to get some leverage if we hadn’t done the Collins deal and had a bunch of cap space to threaten them with.

I’m somewhere between #1 and #3. Couldn’t vote #1 because LaVine’s name is in there. My hybrid pathway would be to both look to acquire longer-term talent while getting rid of minute-occupiers that aren’t long-term pieces and are sucking up playing time of guys we need to develop. We’re currently doing the exact opposite.
1 and 3 should be multiple choice options. You can do both and they should.

I mean, I would be pretty aggressive pursuing Quickley. He fits the mold of someone who can take a huge leap.

How is Key for IQ straight up fair for the Knicks?

IQ is a 20+ PPG starter.

Keyonte would be pretty lucky to be IQ after 4 years.
I guess the biggest question is are the Knicks willing to pay IQ the money he wants this summer. If 25 mill is out of their range than I could see wanting a good player on a rookie contract interesting them. To get the production Key could bring on a rookie scale contract might interest them instead of letting IQ walk. Would also depend on what other offers they get. Ultimately NYK want to win. That is their goal. I think they value IQ more as a piece that can be used to bring in a bigger player.

I guess the biggest question is are the Knicks willing to pay IQ the money he wants this summer. If 25 mill is out of their range than I could see wanting a good player on a rookie contract interesting them. To get the production Key could bring on a rookie scale contract might interest them instead of letting IQ walk. Would also depend on what other offers they get. Ultimately NYK want to win. That is their goal. I think they value IQ more as a piece that can be used to bring in a bigger player.
They have more than 2 options of trading for Key or re-signign IQ>

1 and 3 should be multiple choice options. You can do both and they should.
3 is more of offloading those guys for second round picks. 1 is more about winning now… 3 is more about clearing dev time and collecting minor assets and maybe some cap flexibility.

And I understand you can do all of these things or at least some of these simultaneously but I’m thinking more of the desired path and the main theme of moves we make the next few months.

Sexton/KO + “least favorable” 1st round pick has always made sense to me for Quickley.
Not sure they can match the salary of both of those guys without diving into the tax. I’d guess it would be Sexton/Yurt or KO/Simone or Ochai? For Fournier/IQ. Picks added to spice.

To get Quickley you are either giving up 2 or more picks or you are roping in a 3rd team who can supply them with pieces that help them win now.

Olynyk would be a nice piece for the Knicks, but if I'm giving up a talent like IQ I would want a near starter quality level wing.

Also think there isnt anything wrong with using picks to get Quickley.

Waiting for a star is kind of stupid, especially when you have to compete with these other teams who are stockpiling for a star, so whenever that star is available, there is going to be significant inflation on the price.

I think Keyonte is nice and has a lot of potential, but I havent seen enough to call him a surefire bet to be a future top 10 PG. IQ is a top 10 PG once he gets starter minutes.

Keyonte is a combo, imo, like Dinwiddie, but with much better passing and IQ. That's partly why I'd be thrilled to draft Topic if we could get him.

I think this year is a lot like last year. Jazz will be willing to move Olynyk, Clarkson, THT, Collins, etc., but want value back. Meanwhile, the Jazz will probably end up with a top 7 or 8 pick in the draft.

I don't think the Jazz feel there's urgency to convey the OKC pick. They can do that next year if they need to, and they need to get a read on what the Cavs and their picks are going to look like in '25 and '26. The Cavs are one Mitchell trade and one injury away from being a lottery team.

How is Key for IQ straight up fair for the Knicks?

IQ is a 20+ PPG starter.

Keyonte would be pretty lucky to be IQ after 4 years.
I'm seeing 15 ppg and zero starts for quickley.

I would trade keyonte for him btw just not sure where you are getting your numbers from

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Also think there isnt anything wrong with using picks to get Quickley.

Waiting for a star is kind of stupid, especially when you have to compete with these other teams who are stockpiling for a star, so whenever that star is available, there is going to be significant inflation on the price.
Agreed

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

WOULD BANG!! I am not FOMOing on Keynote.
Seems somewhat reasonable?

Hard to say how good Keldon is as he's been on a terrible team, but he's on a great contract and he fits what the Knicks need.

Utah gets IQ essentially for Keyonte straight up while getting off Collins.

Spurs get a PGOTF for a guy they have coming off the bench.