What's new

The Paths Forward From Here

Which path should we take?

• Compete now - Trade for a "star" (Dejounte Murray, Zach LaVine, Quickley, or a similar type player)

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Chill mode - Just ride the fence until next offseason

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Consolidate and roll with the young players more - trade some of KO, THT, Clarkson, Collins, Sexton

Votes: 50 65.8%
  • Tank City - Pursue a Lauri trade that nets us a haul and start a true 3-4 year tank

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters
4. Do the tank, go obscene with the draft picks and ramp up in 2 years when the draft talent is the best.

To get Quickley you are either giving up 2 or more picks or you are roping in a 3rd team who can supply them with pieces that help them win now.

Olynyk would be a nice piece for the Knicks, but if I'm giving up a talent like IQ I would want a near starter quality level wing.
Two firsts was a possibility in the offseason when you could extend him. Now you can't do that and there are some teams with cap space that may throw something nasty at IQ. Would be tough to give up two picks and then have to match a contract at like 35M+ per year because he blew up after getting starter minutes.

I'd say either trade Lauri and go for a full multi-year tank, or wait a bit until better opportunities for acquiring talent present themselves. Both options come with risk.

Two firsts was a possibility in the offseason when you could extend him. Now you can't do that and there are some teams with cap space that may throw something nasty at IQ. Would be tough to give up two picks and then have to match a contract at like 35M+ per year because he blew up after getting starter minutes.
There is nothing nasty you can throw at IQ cuz he's worth the max.

Isn’t 2 and 3 on this list essentially the same thing? Trading some vets and getting young players more burn is still riding the fence because we’re not competing and we’re not going to be bad enough for a top-5 pick.

Isn’t 2 and 3 on this list essentially the same thing? Trading some vets and getting young players more burn is still riding the fence because we’re not competing and we’re not going to be bad enough for a top-5 pick.
Not to me... in #2 we are keeping our guys... rookies get time as injuries allow and you hold your vets and win 5-10 games more than if you went into development mode. Just trading one guy would kinda split the difference but I'm saying do a Mike Conley type deal where you are sending out like 2-3 rotation players to clear the rotation up enough that Hardy has to play Taylor 20-25 minutes and Key 30 minutes plus per game.

I really don't understand why anybody would want to trade Lauri.

The dude is only 26, wants to stay in Utah long-term, and the Jazz would have to be lucky to draft somebody that ultimately after several years ends up as good as Lauri.

There is a good chance we don't draft anyone as good if we tank. The best play might be to acquire talent in the next two years to put around him. I just don't think any of the available options now move the needle much.

Not to me... in #2 we are keeping our guys... rookies get time as injuries allow and you hold your vets and win 5-10 games more than if you went into development mode. Just trading one guy would kinda split the difference but I'm saying do a Mike Conley type deal where you are sending out like 2-3 rotation players to clear the rotation up enough that Hardy has to play Taylor 20-25 minutes and Key 30 minutes plus per game.

Both aren’t really clear direction though.