What's new

The Paths Forward From Here

Which path should we take?

• Compete now - Trade for a "star" (Dejounte Murray, Zach LaVine, Quickley, or a similar type player)

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Chill mode - Just ride the fence until next offseason

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Consolidate and roll with the young players more - trade some of KO, THT, Clarkson, Collins, Sexton

Votes: 50 65.8%
  • Tank City - Pursue a Lauri trade that nets us a haul and start a true 3-4 year tank

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters
I feel like the time to trade Lauri would be this year though so I don’t think we should wait if that’s the direction we want to go.
I'm not sure they know what direction they want to go lol. I think the offers now should be higher if you can rope in OKC but I also think they could watch how the playoffs unfold and still make a substantial offer. If we got one less first but bought a few months to see what bubbles up on the trade market I would understand. With the picks we already have I'm not sure it matters that much if you got 3-4 or 4-5 picks or equivalent value.

Imo top priority is #3, but Id rather do that by getting a high upside contributor, so I voted for 1.
Vote for 3 is basically voting for 1. Theres no “either...or”. Lauri ain't coming back unless we consolidate and bring him the help he needs.

I doubt think it's riding the fence because it's clearly saying that we care way more about developing for the future than winning now.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Yeah… at the same time we’d be stuck in the 6-10 range in the draft.

Either way, I'd much prefer Murray and Quickley over Lavine. Because they both have the potential to actually be star level players. And we need a playmaking star player next to Lauri, who can't create for ****.
We all would and there are obviously other names you could throw out there. I just think the market for Zach being "barren" is the perfect recipe for Thrifter Danny.

I'm not sure they know what direction they want to go lol. I think the offers now should be higher if you can rope in OKC but I also think they could watch how the playoffs unfold and still make a substantial offer. If we got one less first but bought a few months to see what bubbles up on the trade market I would understand. With the picks we already have I'm not sure it matters that much if you got 3-4 or 4-5 picks or equivalent value.

If they put Jalen Williams on the table I would close the deal. I doubt they do but just wanted to throw that out there.

Yep. Not saying it would be a great decision or anything just saying it wouldn't be sitting on the fence not making a decision.

We all would and there are obviously other names you could throw out there. I just think the market for Zach being "barren" is the perfect recipe for Thrifter Danny.

He's a chucker who plays no defense though. Not sure he's much better than Clarkson. But the Bulls can't seem able to get rid of him, so he'd probably be next to free.

He still is. He's still just 27 and his regression is 100% on the poor fit with Atlanta.
That is an assumption that may or may not be correct.
Not a fact though.

Either way, I'd much prefer Murray and Quickley over Lavine. Because they both have the potential to actually be star level players. And we need a playmaking star player next to Lauri, who can't create for ****.

I agree but I’m not out on LaVine depending on price. I’m talking like Collins + Clarkson type of price though.

I think if we keep the vets it propels us to the 9-12 range vs the 5-8 range if we sold off vets. Its a meaningful difference this year. May not be as big of a difference next year.

I agree but I’m not out on LaVine depending on price. I’m talking like Collins + Clarkson type of price though.

That would be perfectly fine...
Exactly... it would be Collins and stuff. Maybe some seconds we spin out of another deal. I don't think he will put a pick on the table, but I also didn't think he'd take Collins unless we got a first so.... shrug.

I'm not sure how "Danny wanted to tank for a shot at Wemby" logically flows to "Danny is never going to try to build around Lauri"
Also, who was available? I mean, Danny could have been leaning to "build around Lauri," but none of those people were available at a price we would have been willing to pay.

I'm not sure how "Danny wanted to tank for a shot at Wemby" logically flows to "Danny is never going to try to build around Lauri"

I'm not saying he should be building around Lauri. Ainge may think he's a Robin, and he may well be right.

But quite a few people seem to think we should be treating Lauri as a centerpiece going forward, and I'm just pointing out that expecting Danny to take such a path is probably futile. He would have made some moves into that direction already if that was his plan.

He's a chucker who plays no defense though. Not sure he's much better than Clarkson. But the Bulls can't seem able to get rid of him, so he'd probably be next to free.
When he is right he is an efficient volume scorer. He's much better than JC but I am not sure he is like 25M per year better than JC. Just like with John Collins you are hoping he recovers some of his past value with strong play. I wouldn't do it unless it was dirt cheap... even then I'd be terrified because of his injuries and other stuff.

That is an assumption that may or may not be correct.
Not a fact though.

An assumption supported by facts. We are not talking about a player in decline. We are talking about a player who's still on the upward trajectory of his development. Despite the poor fit, his shooting actually has improved each year in Atlanta. Now making over 2 threes a game on 37% while possessing one of the league's most deadly midrange jumpers(49% from midrange on the season). And his defense and ability to steal the ball are still there. He simply needs the ball more.

I voted for 3 - I'd just try and move Clarkson, KO, Dunn, THT for seconds and expiring contracts. Obviously if you can move Collins then do it but I think we are stuck with him. OKC should be beating our doors down on Lauri... and if they are I would consider #4.

Maybe you get lucky and jump into the top 4 of the draft and you can either use that piece as a trade piece or find your second star. Renegotiate and sign Lauri but lean on the young guys enough that you keep the pick this year and really see what you have right now with Key, Taylor, Ochai, Walker around Lauri.

I think IQ and Murray would be worth a pick but I would be patient there and not sure we can find the right price that works for everyone. I think a boring development path is the most likely path forward until the offseason.