What's new

This thread is for everyone who has lost their minds about Royce

Yup bad shooting night, but Royce has been like that. He has nights where he goes 0-5 followed by games where he goes 4-5.

That being said, he had more blocks that Gobert, Udoka and Favors combined. And more offensive rebounds that anyone not named Gobert.

People really bitch this much about our 5th option in a blowout win? The dude was hustling out there. Grabbed a lot of nice rebounds, and even had some drives that looked promising. He just didnt hit shots.

Just don’t understand why he got so many minutes when he wasn’t pulling his weight. He shouldn’t be guaranteed 25-30 every game. We have depth now and Quinn shouldn’t be afaraid to use it when someone is playing like a damn slouch.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Yup bad shooting night, but Royce has been like that. He has nights where he goes 0-5 followed by games where he goes 4-5.

That being said, he had more blocks that Gobert, Udoka and Favors combined. And more offensive rebounds that anyone not named Gobert.

Fair enough. I’ll be rooting for him tonight. Still wanna see (Shaquille) Harrison and Royce (O’Neal) combine to form the Shaq attack.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Wow, Mitchell at 6-23. **** me sideways. He needs to get his head out of his ***.

Oh and Royce did good. Lotsa rebounds. Didn't entirely suck on D.

Yes, that's what she said.

Royce is really crashing the boards so far this season. He's averaging 8.3 rebounds a game.

I guess some will call me a Royce hater. Sorry I just call it like I see it.

I don't think he's a bad player, it's just he just shouldn't start for us. I love the way he rebounds, passes, and hustles.
The thing is he gets eat alive by good guards, screens, and SFs, and was exposed in the playoffs. Love the kid personally
but he will also be a weak spot if we continue to use him in such a prominent role. He is so overrated as a defender.

It'll take a season or two of us getting bounced from the playoffs before there is a change most likely.

I don't think he's a bad player, it's just he just shouldn't start for us. I love the way he rebounds, passes, and hustles.
The thing is he gets eat alive by good guards, screens, and SFs, and was exposed in the playoffs. Love the kid personally
but he will also be a weak spot if we continue to use him in such a prominent role. He is so overrated as a defender.

It'll take a season or two of us getting bounced from the playoffs before there is a change most likely.
I've always felt this way. We need more D in the starting lineup, but his offense is subpar/too inconsistent. I like him on the team, but not as a starter. We need him to be Bruce Bowen, and he hasn't even been Bruce Bowen lite.

Royce had a slow start but didn't get preseason minutes. He has played quite well since. He gets out of area rebounds and has clearly been giving a bigger effort in that area... 9 rebounds per 36.

We need some low usage high efficiency guys and he is nailing his role. I wish he was a touch more versatile as a defender and I wish he wouldn't try to drive in traffic but I'm not sure what people expect from him. He's worth his contract for sure. He's being paid Derrick Jones Jr. money and plays that role a whole lot better.

Royce is not a defensive stopper and I don't think he will ever be. He's a low usage, high efficience guy who has slightly above NBA average defense level, the point is we've been comparing him with Jazz players defensive level and compared to DM, Bojan, Niang, Mudiay, Clarkson 2020(I'm actually impressed by 2021 Clarkson defense so far) Royce will look like DPOY. Maybe that's why we all overestimated his Defense at some point, maybe that's what we're doing with Oni too.

Low usage is perfect in a team with DM and Bojan. High(or decent) efficiency is enough so the other teams will care about defending his 3pt shot and not double teamming Bojan, DM or Clarkson every possesion.

Royce is not a defensive stopper and I don't think he will ever be. He's a low usage, high efficience guy who has slightly above NBA average defense level, the point is we've been comparing him with Jazz players defensive level and compared to DM, Bojan, Niang, Mudiay, Clarkson 2020(I'm actually impressed by 2021 Clarkson defense so far) Royce will look like DPOY. Maybe that's why we all overestimated his Defense at some point, maybe that's what we're doing with Oni too.

Low usage is perfect in a team with DM and Bojan. High(or decent) efficiency is enough so the other teams will care about defending his 3pt shot and not double teamming Bojan, DM or Clarkson every possesion.
Compared to Niang ?

I've always felt this way. We need more D in the starting lineup, but his offense is subpar/too inconsistent. I like him on the team, but not as a starter. We need him to be Bruce Bowen, and he hasn't even been Bruce Bowen lite.

Exactly. He's a great kid, and I like him on the team. Just not in the role he's playing.

I felt the similar way about Favors (although Favors was always more talented than Royce). I loved Favors just not starting, and not playing too much with Gobert.
As the back up center. He's fantastic.

I'm laughing at people who act like his hustle covers up his other glaring weakness. He was AWFUL in the playoffs trying to be our main defender. It's laughable.
Quin uses him like he's some lock down defender. He got torched against Denver, and will get torched again in the playoffs.

I honestly dont know if there is a less talented wing player in the NBA than Royce, but damn does he play hard and he's really committed himself to being aggressive rebounding to help out the bigs.

Exactly. He's a great kid, and I like him on the team. Just not in the role he's playing.

I felt the similar way about Favors (although Favors was always more talented than Royce). I loved Favors just not starting, and not playing too much with Gobert.
As the back up center. He's fantastic.

I'm laughing at people who act like his hustle covers up his other glaring weakness. He was AWFUL in the playoffs trying to be our main defender. It's laughable.
Quin uses him like he's some lock down defender. He got torched against Denver, and will get torched again in the playoffs.
It's got nothing to do with being a "main" defender. It's the kind of player he is being asked to guard.

The guy has posted a 2.0 DBPM for his career, very consistently. He isnt getting eaten alive.

I think Royce is a pretty perfect 5th starter for this team, especially with his improved rebounding. I just wish Bogey/DM werent such putrid defenders. They both, but especially DM, really need to step it up on that end so it isnt just Conley/Royce/Gobert giving a ****.

I think Royce is a pretty perfect 5th starter for this team, especially with his improved rebounding. I just wish Bogey/DM werent such putrid defenders. They both, but especially DM, really need to step it up on that end so it isnt just Conley/Royce/Gobert giving a ****.
If DM could eliminate the 2-3 plays a night where he just loses track of his guy and lets him slip in for an easy back door layup or tip in that would be a tremendous help. Don't have to be Patrick Beverly just don't lose complete focus.