What's new

This thread is for everyone who has lost their minds about Royce

If DM could eliminate the 2-3 plays a night where he just loses track of his guy and lets him slip in for an easy back door layup or tip in that would be a tremendous help. Don't have to be Patrick Beverly just don't lose complete focus.
It really is pathetic most of the time. He's an elite athlete with a giant wingspan, but he defends guys like he has the foot speed of Bogey AND has mental lapses.

When was the last time Donovan had a defensive play where you were actually impressed? It feels like it rarely happens (even the overrated highlight defensive plays seem to never happen for him).

It's got nothing to do with being a "main" defender. It's the kind of player he is being asked to guard.
That's the problem, though. We're simplistically labeling him as our default defender, and so we give him any assignment that's not a big man, and fail to recognize that just because he's our best defender (by default, not saying he's bad), that he therefore is the best option to throw on guys where it doesn't work as well as alternatives). If he keeps up his good rebounding, I'll be less concerned, but I still think 32 minutes is a touch too high and I think it's silly if we're counting on him to be our only guy in the regular rotation who guards the perimeter.

That's the problem, though. We're simplistically labeling him as our default defender, and so we give him any assignment that's not a big man, and fail to recognize that just because he's our best defender (by default, not saying he's bad), that he therefore is the best option to throw on guys where it doesn't work as well as alternatives). If he keeps up his good rebounding, I'll be less concerned, but I still think 32 minutes is a touch too high and I think it's silly if we're counting on him to be our only guy in the regular rotation who guards the perimeter.
I mean, Mitchell could always start trying on defense and make this all way easier.

I mean, Mitchell could always start trying on defense and make this all way easier.
He could. That would be nice. But the two aren’t mutually exclusive. I’d like a coach who would acknowledge one or the other. Or both, preferably.

Still don't get the hate for Royce. He's incredibly valuable to this team. Not just because he's a good player, but because of how badly this team needs someone with skillset. Why are we mad...because he's not prime Kawhi Leonard on defense? Everyone complains about the perimeter defense...and yet we want to bench Royce too?

It really is pathetic most of the time. He's an elite athlete with a giant wingspan, but he defends guys like he has the foot speed of Bogey AND has mental lapses.

When was the last time Donovan had a defensive play where you were actually impressed? It feels like it rarely happens (even the overrated highlight defensive plays seem to never happen for him).

I think Quin is partly responsible for this, but it's kind of a chicken or an egg problem. We play a defense that requires the 4 perimeter guys to do almost nothing besides stay home on their man. This is great strategy if you have multiple bad defenders (we do), but I also think it makes the problem worse with Mitchell. He's more than capable of being a good defender, but he doesn't care and totally spaces out.

Having 3-4 undersized, unathletic, or plain bad defenders on the court at the same time is a tough roster composition to get around no matter what you do. But I think we need to play a more active defense to get more players engage and involved.

I think Quin is partly responsible for this, but it's kind of a chicken or an egg problem. We play a defense that requires the 4 perimeter guys to do almost nothing besides stay home on their man. This is great strategy if you have multiple bad defenders (we do), but I also think it makes the problem worse with Mitchell. He's more than capable of being a good defender, but he doesn't care and totally spaces out.

Having 3-4 undersized, unathletic, or plain bad defenders on the court at the same time is a tough roster composition to get around no matter what you do. But I think we need to play a more active defense to get more players engage and involved.
This. I think the defense as a whole needs some work. Royce is goodish, Jingles is good one on one, but Mitchell at best is neutral and Bojan is a negative. Rudy and Favors can't do everything.

Still don't get the hate for Royce. He's incredibly valuable to this team. Not just because he's a good player, but because of how badly this team needs someone with skillset. Why are we mad...because he's not prime Kawhi Leonard on defense? Everyone complains about the perimeter defense...and yet we want to bench Royce too?

I agree. And he never takes a night or even a play off.

If DM could eliminate the 2-3 plays a night where he just loses track of his guy and lets him slip in for an easy back door layup or tip in that would be a tremendous help. Don't have to be Patrick Beverly just don't lose complete focus.
Well there has to be SOME time for him to draw up the play that gets him on Sports Center.

I'm so over you blaming everything on Don.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
Uhh, I'm blaming everything on Don?

I'm blaming Donovan Mitchell for Donovan Mitchell being bad on defense. You're the little pissant who talks about accountability so much. Shouldn't the guy with a 6'10 wingspan and elite athletic ability at least be a net neutral on D? Am I out of bounds for asking for more effort?

Who should I blame? Is it Mike Conley's fault? Or is it Mike Conley's contract's fault? Is it Rudy's fault? I need to know because I don't want to hurt your feelings over Donnie boy.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Royce struggles to defend elite guards, as we witnessed again tonight when he got absolutely cooked by Kyrie. He does better against bigger forwards. We really need to start thinking about giving some of his minutes to Shaq when we go up against guys like Kyrie, Dame, Steph, etc.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Royce struggles to defend elite guards, as we witnessed again tonight when he got absolutely cooked by Kyrie. He does better against bigger forwards. We really need to start thinking about giving some of his minutes to Shaq when we go up against guys like Kyrie, Dame, Steph, etc.
We can think about it all we want, but the guy whose opinion matters is a guy who ran with Rubio + Favors + Gobert until it wasn’t possible anymore. He’s the same guy who continued to plug Ricky into the role of a shooter.

We can think about it all we want, but the guy whose opinion matters is a guy who ran with Rubio + Favors + Gobert until it wasn’t possible anymore. He’s the same guy who continued to plug Ricky into the role of a shooter.
Ouch.

And Ricky had his best season.

So why didn’t we keep him?
Because the ceiling with Conley was higher. That's a FO move. Can't fault Quin for trying to win playoff games and actually getting results from a wonky fit.

Its been time. I think Royce is good but he's not a surefire, every matchup, must start. Shaq could have subbed in last night if you didn't feel like putting DM or Mike on him. If Kyrie cooks them there isn't much of a difference imo than them cooking Royce and Royce might be better at rotating over to help. If you don't want to do that then sub in Shaq to the starting group. If they post of Jeff Green and Taurean Prince on DM then great... because that isn't kyrie shooting a three.

Andy is smart and has the stats below.