What's new

Thoughts on Trading Bogdanvic

Personally I wouldn't trade anyone because I think the additions we made in the offseason might just be enough to get us over the hump in the playoffs. But if I was going to make a trade, I would trade Clarkson and move Bogey to the bench to take his place as the scorer off the bench. Bogey's just so much more efficient with his scoring that I would have a really hard time letting him go and keeping JC. I Bogey could thrive off the bench and get more touches because he'd be playing less minutes with Mitchell and Conley.
Woah. Absolutely NO to trading Clarkson. He's a perfect fit for our team.

I don't think Bogey is overpaid. I think the Jazz would consider moving him, however, because he's a bit redundant with Ingles. In the Jazz's game vs. Denver, Quin closed with Ingles on the floor instead of Bogey.

Mitchell, Conley and Ingles put three on-ball creators on the floor at the same time, which fits what Quin likes to do. I could also see Rudy Gay eating into Bogey's minutes, because it would give us more size and defense.

One of my complaints with Quin has been being rigid on closing with Bogey instead of Ingles. He rarely did that last year so it surprised me when I fled got the call the other night. Some may call that sour soup but I think Ingles is damn good and as a numbers guy it’s not really close.

Gay provides us another option like Bogey if we need another scorer/shooter. Clarkson should also be seen as an option because it’s not like Bogey provides much with his size. I’m not saying Bogey should never finish games, but Ingles should be the default and it should be an open decision night to night.

As far as Bogey being overpaid, I don’t think he necessarily is either. He would get paid if he was on the open market. I do think his reputation exceeds his value, however, but that reputation holds true in a trade discussion.

I think Roco is seen in a similar light around the league and he got two firsts in a trade. I think Bogey might be able to yield the same if there’s buyer. I keep looking at NOP as a team ready to make a desperate and bad move. If we can get Hart and some picks I’d be for it.

Woah. Absolutely NO to trading Clarkson. He's a perfect fit for our team.

I mean, you could say that about pretty much all of our top 7 players...Mitchell, Gobert, Bogey, Ingles, Conley, Clarkson, O'Neale are all a perfect fit for our team. I'm honestly not sure why we'd want to trade any of them.

Last edited:
I like Bogie, and I’m sure the other players like going into battle with him. I’d only trade him for a clear upgrade on the defensive end. The name that always comes up for me is Robert Covington. This deal probably has no chance of happening, but Portland might panic at some point and push for more 3pt shooting (like they did last year). And maybe the addition of Nance makes them more confident in this kind of swap.

EDIT: wow, looks like Covington might really be fading. I probably wouldn’t do this trade.
Covington is pretty overrated. He gets deflections but he plays a lot of matador defense too.

I see Bogey as a luxury vs a necessity. I feel like Bogey could be way more valuable on another team and is underutilized here. I would love to trade him for a rotation level perimeter defender, but not sure if that is possible.

Covington is pretty overrated. He gets deflections but he plays a lot of matador defense too.

He stinks in man to man defense, but he makes your defense better. The rebounding, turnover creation, secondary rim protection, close outs, rotations ect all adds up. But if you attack him as the on ball defender you eliminate all that and put him in a bad spot.

One of my complaints with Quin has been being rigid on closing with Bogey instead of Ingles. He rarely did that last year so it surprised me when I fled got the call the other night. Some may call that sour soup but I think Ingles is damn good and as a numbers guy it’s not really close.

Gay provides us another option like Bogey if we need another scorer/shooter. Clarkson should also be seen as an option because it’s not like Bogey provides much with his size. I’m not saying Bogey should never finish games, but Ingles should be the default and it should be an open decision night to night.

As far as Bogey being overpaid, I don’t think he necessarily is either. He would get paid if he was on the open market. I do think his reputation exceeds his value, however, but that reputation holds true in a trade discussion.

I think Roco is seen in a similar light around the league and he got two firsts in a trade. I think Bogey might be able to yield the same if there’s buyer. I keep looking at NOP as a team ready to make a desperate and bad move. If we can get Hart and some picks I’d be for it.

Orlando might be willing to move on from Jonathan Isaac once he returns from injury. Jazz would be taking a flier on a guy with 3+ years on his deal. Orlando would probably also move Terrence Ross and some change.

It's possible that the Warriors would move one of their rookies in a package for Bogey, though I've heard they prefer Ingles.

Sacramento still wants to move Hield.

I don’t think we shave any money with our big name guys. We might save some dough by waiving Oni or trading Udoka at some point.

I get the feeling some think if we didn’t have Bogey we’d be the same. I get it he’s one dimensional but that dimension is important and he’s a guy who can be effective without dominating the ball. We are trying to win a title so shaving a few million while offloading a starter is not advised. This year might be it… this is the best chance we have at a title. Having Bogey as your 3rd/4th scorer is huge. He showed he can play defense in the playoffs. WTF ARE WE DOING HERE!

Sure keep the phone lines open but unless something comes along that gives us a better player, financial flexibility and an equivalent player, or we have an injury to a star that makes us a non-contender I’m not moving the guy.

In the offseason I could see us moving him for flexibility if Gay is doing well and we retain Paschall. It’s easier to make a trade I. The offseason that dumps salary.

He stinks in man to man defense, but he makes your defense better. The rebounding, turnover creation, secondary rim protection, close outs, rotations ect all adds up. But if you attack him as the on ball defender you eliminate all that and put him in a bad spot.
Sounds super fun. He’s also a wildly inconsistent shooter and Royce could teach him a few things about dribbling. He’d also have to learn the system on the fly. Bogey for RoCo has equal chances to make us better or worse… and I doubt it’s on the table anyway.

I saw some advanced stats that really adored him. But that was the bubble season (and the years prior).
In Houston as a small ball 5 he was effective as a wing defender I think he’s good but his reputation far exceeds his ability imo. I’d rather have a guy like Beverly who is a more consistent shooter and can stick to a guy and also be disruptive.

Part of my opinion was watching Portland this year and they are awful on defense… just garbage.

In Houston as a small ball 5 he was effective as a wing defender I think he’s good but his reputation far exceeds his ability imo. I’d rather have a guy like Beverly who is a more consistent shooter and can stick to a guy and also be disruptive.

Part of my opinion was watching Portland this year and they are awful on defense… just garbage.
In all fairness, Portland is working out a bunch of new stuff right now. My falling opinion on Covington is based more on last year’s production, not this. I wouldn’t trade Bogie for him.

I don’t see a potential deal out there that I like.

I don’t think we shave any money with our big name guys. We might save some dough by waiving Oni or trading Udoka at some point.

I get the feeling some think if we didn’t have Bogey we’d be the same. I get it he’s one dimensional but that dimension is important and he’s a guy who can be effective without dominating the ball. We are trying to win a title so shaving a few million while offloading a starter is not advised. This year might be it… this is the best chance we have at a title. Having Bogey as your 3rd/4th scorer is huge. He showed he can play defense in the playoffs. WTF ARE WE DOING HERE!

Sure keep the phone lines open but unless something comes along that gives us a better player, financial flexibility and an equivalent player, or we have an injury to a star that makes us a non-contender I’m not moving the guy.

In the offseason I could see us moving him for flexibility if Gay is doing well and we retain Paschall. It’s easier to make a trade I. The offseason that dumps salary.

I do understand the hesitation of losing a scorer like Bogey, he can you a playoff game with an offensive explosion. His best defense is when matched up with a bigger wing who wants to bully ball his way to spots. He is a decent on ball option and I will give him that. He even had his moments against Kawhi...but overall his defensive contribution is so bad. He is a total negative rebounder and off ball defender. It's a huge weakness for us already with Conley+Mitchell. It puts too much pressure on Gobert and O'Neale to cover everything when we have multiple players who cover no space defensively. It's really great to have him as an off ball scorer, but we've got bigger issues an many players on this roster who can also contribute to the offensive end. We've had elite offensive production without Bogey and without Conley in the playoffs. But both times we still lost because of horrific defense. I agree that this is the year to win it all, but to me the urgency should be to address the defensive problem rather than securing our offense and taking another chance with our defense.

Sounds super fun. He’s also a wildly inconsistent shooter and Royce could teach him a few things about dribbling. He’d also have to learn the system on the fly. Bogey for RoCo has equal chances to make us better or worse… and I doubt it’s on the table anyway.

I've been sus of Covington ever since Philly had to bench him because the other team started attacking him on ball. The things they say about Gobert are actually true with Covington. Or at least they were that playoff game. I don't think he's ever been available so I haven't put much thought into him. My initial thought is that I would do the trade because I'm so desperate to improve the defense and so confident in our offense even without Bogey.

No thanks. 20 point per game scoring stretch 4 who is tough and NEVER misses games. I like having that. Since he has been with the jazz he has missed zero games. In indiana in 2 seasons he played in 81 games and 82 games (only missed one game in those 2 seasons). Played in 81 games the season prior to that. 78 games and 79 games in his first 2 years. He has missed 9 games in 8 seasons. Thats impressive.

It’s tough for me to conceive of a scenario where trading him makes the Jazz better this year. So nah, probably not.

I hate to break it to my fellow malcontents, but this team is ****ing awesome and might really, actually go all the way this year. It’s easier to **** that up than it is to improve it.

It’s tough for me to conceive of a scenario where trading him makes the Jazz better this year. So nah, probably not.

I hate to break it to my fellow malcontents, but this team is ****ing awesome and might really, actually go all the way this year. It’s easier to **** that up than it is to improve it.
This. We were the #1 seed last season and had one of the best seasons in jazz history and set a bunch of records and got a bunch of awards. Then we went undefeated in the playoffs when we were healthy. Then in the off season we added whiteside, paschall, gay, and butler while not really losing anything. Then we start the season 4-0 while not even fully healthy or playing our best.

We are super spoiled. Try to enjoy what we have going on.

This. We were the #1 seed last season and had one of the best seasons in jazz history and set a bunch of records and got a bunch of awards. Then we went undefeated in the playoffs when we were healthy. Then in the off season we added whiteside, paschall, gay, and butler while not really losing anything. Then we start the season 4-0 while not even fully healthy or playing our best.

Truth

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using JazzFanz mobile app

Look, I just want to sign LiAngelo and get some LaVar courtside-ability. Is that too greedy?