What's new

Thoughts on Trading Bogdanvic

I mean, you could say that about pretty much all of our top 7 players...Mitchell, Gobert, Bogey, Ingles, Conley, Clarkson, O'Neale are all a perfect fit for our team. I'm honestly not sure why we'd want to trade any of them.
Yeah, honestly I'm on the stand pat train until we get further into the season to see if we are still kickin ***. So far, what we've got ain't broke.

This. We were the #1 seed last season and had one of the best seasons in jazz history and set a bunch of records and got a bunch of awards. Then we went undefeated in the playoffs when we were healthy. Then in the off season we added whiteside, paschall, gay, and butler while not really losing anything. Then we start the season 4-0 while not even fully healthy or playing our best.

We are super spoiled. Try to enjoy what we have going on.
derrick-favors-jpg-2.jpeg

Derrick Favors says: Oh (sad voice).

It’s tough for me to conceive of a scenario where trading him makes the Jazz better this year. So nah, probably not.

I hate to break it to my fellow malcontents, but this team is ****ing awesome and might really, actually go all the way this year. It’s easier to **** that up than it is to improve it.

I don't think it makes you a malcontent to want to make the team better. This team is very good and has a chance as is, but that doesn't mean they are without issues. For the Jazz, the weakness is very obvious so I don't see the problem with wanting to address it. Honestly, the reluctant attitude towards moving Bogey makes me question why people are not confident in our ability to score without him. I feel incredibly confident in our scoring as long as Mitchell is playing. We've done that and I have no reason to believe we can't do it again. Defensively? I'm hopeful as a fan but I don't see the reasons for confidence.

I don’t think we shave any money with our big name guys. We might save some dough by waiving Oni or trading Udoka at some point.

I get the feeling some think if we didn’t have Bogey we’d be the same. I get it he’s one dimensional but that dimension is important and he’s a guy who can be effective without dominating the ball. We are trying to win a title so shaving a few million while offloading a starter is not advised. This year might be it… this is the best chance we have at a title. Having Bogey as your 3rd/4th scorer is huge. He showed he can play defense in the playoffs. WTF ARE WE DOING HERE!

Sure keep the phone lines open but unless something comes along that gives us a better player, financial flexibility and an equivalent player, or we have an injury to a star that makes us a non-contender I’m not moving the guy.

In the offseason I could see us moving him for flexibility if Gay is doing well and we retain Paschall. It’s easier to make a trade I. The offseason that dumps salary.
No matter how much you make it out to be, in reality Bogey is an overall minus defender and rebounder.

If he gives you star level production offensively it might make up for it. But like you said, he's just a third or even fourth option on the team, and getting paid nearly 20mil for it. Bogey is a nice luxury to have as your 3rd/4th best scorer, but one that we cannot afford. We desperately need that money and cap space to invest in other areas if we want to compete for a chip.

No matter how much you make it out to be, in reality Bogey is an overall minus defender and rebounder.

If he gives you star level production offensively it might make up for it. But like you said, he's just a third or even fourth option on the team, and getting paid nearly 20mil for it. Bogey is a nice luxury to have as your 3rd/4th best scorer, but one that we cannot afford. We desperately need that money and cap space to invest in other areas if we want to compete for a chip.

Wut? Desperate needs? Where? If Ryan will pay who gives a damn. Some of y’all beat the same drum over and over.

I don't think it makes you a malcontent to want to make the team better. This team is very good and has a chance as is, but that doesn't mean they are without issues. For the Jazz, the weakness is very obvious so I don't see the problem with wanting to address it. Honestly, the reluctant attitude towards moving Bogey makes me question why people are not confident in our ability to score without him. I feel incredibly confident in our scoring as long as Mitchell is playing. We've done that and I have no reason to believe we can't do it again. Defensively? I'm hopeful as a fan but I don't see the reasons for confidence.
And I never said he was untouchable. What realistic trade package makes the Jazz better? I don’t see anything anywhere close to obvious, and that’s saying nothing of the value of continuity/familiarity/chemistry which are real factors. And trading him for a supposedly better fit or talent doesn’t solve the logjam that appears to be the impetus for seeking a trade. So yeah, I don’t really see it.

And yeah, the Jazz look like the best team in the league by a lot and it’s while they’re trying out new ****. They are afforded that luxury because their continuity allows them to workshop stuff while keeping the option of falling back to what worked last year.

What in god’s name are you talking about? The Jazz are competing for a chip RIGHT NOW. He also expires after next year, so I’m not really sure what savings you’re talking about.

I’d trade Bogey for Kyle Anderson next year if the Grizzlies want to do that. Next year. If the Grizzlies want to do that.

What in god’s name are you talking about? The Jazz are competing for a chip RIGHT NOW. He also expires after next year, so I’m not really sure what savings you’re talking about.
a team that couldn't even get past the second round is supposedly competing for a chip "right now". sure. so I guess you can count 7 other teams in the west, like denver, phoenix, GSW, LAC, LAL, portland. All have gone farther in the playoffs than the Jazz in the last 4 seasons.

and when have i ever said we need to trade Bogey for savings? we need to trade bogey because there are glaring weaknesses on this team that we need to address. We didn't lose our last two playoff series because we couldn't score the ball. We lost because we couldn't stop our opponents from scoring or securing rebounds during crucial moments of the game. sure, we can wait till Bogey's deal expire next year to address those issues, but by then Jingles is likely gonna retire, Mike's gonna be 35 heading into the season, Gay 36. see why we need to take actions sooner rather than later?

Wut? Desperate needs? Where? If Ryan will pay who gives a damn. Some of y’all beat the same drum over and over.
you mean that Ryan Smith who took over in the same summer when we gave away like 10 second round draft picks just to save some cash? Ryan could be better than the Millers. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. people were also excited in 2019 when we signed Jeff Green and Ed Davis.

and when have i ever said we need to trade Bogey for savings?
In the post I quoted?

Those giant shoes complement the rainbow wig really well.

And I never said he was untouchable. What realistic trade package makes the Jazz better? I don’t see anything anywhere close to obvious, and that’s saying nothing of the value of continuity/familiarity/chemistry which are real factors. And trading him for a supposedly better fit or talent doesn’t solve the logjam that appears to be the impetus for seeking a trade. So yeah, I don’t really see it.

And yeah, the Jazz look like the best team in the league by a lot and it’s while they’re trying out new ****. They are afforded that luxury because their continuity allows them to workshop stuff while keeping the option of falling back to what worked last year.

I agree that finding a trade is tough, said so myself many times. The usage logjam is a problem in some ways, but having too much is a good problem to have and not really the problem that is the impetus for seeking a trade. The impetus for seeking a trade is that we’ve been historically bad back to back years on defense. That’s the real problem that concerns me.

Strategically we were overmatched, no doubt about it. I was the first to say that Quin failed this team more than anyone. But if you told Quin that, he would turn around and say we have to play this defense where only one player plays defense because everyone else stinks at defense…and he would have a point. There needed to be an upgrade in both talent and strategy.

The only thing I’d be waiting on is to see how Paschall and Gay continue to look and if they can be realistic options to mitigate the defensive concerns. Unfortunately it’s tough to do that in the regular season.

The numbers would heavily support moving Bogey. Guys we’ve discussed like Anderson, Hart, Roco ect aren’t worse than Bogey by the numbers. They are just as good or better. I’m not willing to go that far, but I do think these guys are closer to Bogey than we think. I do believe that they would be propped up by our strong structure and their specific skill sets are sorely needed.

With that in mind, I’m leaning on the side of making a move. I have extreme confidence in our offense with or without Bogey but also a big concern about how we defend better teams in the playoffs. I don’t think this team is bad or has no chance, there’s just room for improvement and every team should be looking to improve. I kinda hate being cast a “hater” because I think this great team can get even better.

In the post I quoted?

Those giant shoes complement the rainbow wig really well.
So apparently saying that you should spend your money wisely is same equivalent to saying you should not spend at all. Third grade English comprehension right there.

Just FYI.

PJ Tucker's paid 7mil this year.

Roco 13mil.

Josh Hart 12mil.

Kyle Anderson 10mil.

Bobby Portis 4mil.

Larry Nance Jr. 11mil.

Aaron Gordon 16mil.

But yeah, why bother paying to get one or even two of these guys on your team when you can spend 19mil on Bogey?

Imagine working so hard to be upset about having the best team in the NBA.
yeah, being upset about a team that for years just couldn't deliver in playoffs, aka games that actually matter. How dare they?

Last edited:
yeah, being upset about a team that for years just couldn't deliver in playoffs, aka games that actually matter. How dare they
Just so we're clear: are you suggesting that only teams that have won championships in the recent past can win championships? Because I shouldn't have to point out that that's kind of impossible. Stepping away from theory to an example, The Bucks were a worthless playoff team (saying nothing of the Suns track record). I know you're going to move the goal-posts and tie yourself up into a pretzel, so you can spare yourself and the rest of us.

So apparently saying that you should spend your money wisely is same equivalent to saying you should not spend at all. Third grade English comprehension right there.
Soooo... trading Bogey to save money is... not trading Bogey to save money? Some serious galaxy-brain level stuff going on here.

Last edited: