What's new

Tobias Harris wants to come to utah

It’s 32.5 vs like 27.8 this year... total difference is around 20M over 4 years... I doubt he’d do the 1+1 structure.. he ain’t KD... if he tears his Achilles he loses copious amounts of money.

Your job thing is fine but it isn’t hate vs love it’s multiple situations he likes... he may prefer one but he may not 70M prefer it.
I dunno man. Have you ever been to philly? I would say it's gotta be bottom 5 citys in America. Tons of crime, dirty, plus you'd have to play with Embiid AND Ben "scared of 3's" Simmons.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

People chose happiness over money every minute of every day.

Not sure about that.

On the other hand, I'm wondering: how is Utah's state tax compared to other states? About 5%? That could make up some of the gap

I dunno man. Have you ever been to philly? I would say it's gotta be bottom 5 citys in America. Tons of crime, dirty, plus you'd have to play with Embiid AND Ben "scared of 3's" Simmons.

He’s from NY... it isn’t just us vs. Philly it’s Brooklyn (maybe) at full max... Indiana at full max, Dallas at full max or Utah and 20M less...

If he isn’t into the status of being a max free agent then the money may not matter as much but in general dudes don’t take pay cuts... even small ones.

Not sure about that.

On the other hand, I'm wondering: how is Utah's state tax compared to other states? About 5%? That could make up some of the gap
I guarantee someone within the block you live has. I talk to people everyday at work that have moved from California to Utah even though they'll make significantly less money. They all say the same thing, they love it here and wanted out of the crime and psycho people.

Not sure about that.

The state tax component isn’t huge... they have to file in like every state so only like half their income is Utah based.

He’s from NY... it isn’t just us vs. Philly it’s Brooklyn (maybe) at full max... Indiana at full max, Dallas at full max or Utah and 20M less...

If he isn’t into the status of being a max free agent then the money may not matter as much but in general dudes don’t take pay cuts... even small ones.
Sure they do. Max money guys are a bit more rare sure. Think of all the "ring chasers" you don't think a DeMarcus Cousins could get more than 5 million last year. Maybe Tobias falls slightly into that category.
You remind me of my buddies who wouldn't ever ask out the hot girl cause "she'd probably just say no" guess what, ask them out and make them say no. Sometimes you'll get lucky.

Sure they do. Max money guys are a bit more rare sure. Think of all the "ring chasers" you don't think a DeMarcus Cousins could get more than 5 million last year. Maybe Tobias falls slightly into that category.
You remind me of my buddies who wouldn't ever ask out the hot girl cause "she'd probably just say no" guess what, ask them out and make them say no. Sometimes you'll get lucky.

.giphy.gif

I guarantee someone within the block you live has. I talk to people everyday at work that have moved from California to Utah even though they'll make significantly less money. They all say the same thing, they love it here and wanted out of the crime and psycho people.

Sure, not arguing about that. I've met many people who chose money/success over happiness. And otherwise. I'm just not venturing to say every person chooses happiness (people just have different priorities and somehow happiness is not one of them)

I lived in Cambridge for a couple of years and loved it there. I've also been to SLC and really like it. I'm now in Mexico City (sacrificing my career) for personal reasons and I'm having a great time. For me it's not so much about the city but also the people around you and the things you do.

NBA players have different priorities too. There was a rumor DLo wanted to go to the Suns. WTF would you do that if you care about winning or being in a good situation. Hopefully, Tobias cares more about being in a good environment than money. But there is no way to tell (it's a ton of money too).

Cousins was rare because I think he could have made maybe 10M somewhere but long term his best money was a one year deal... he got it from a super duper team with stars in one of the NBAs best markets.

Look I’m saying have the convo for sure.... but people out here gonna get they hopes up when the odds are even more stacked up against us now.

I’m saying there are like 5 very unlikely dominos that would need to fall now so go ahead and dream but it’s not a real possibility in my mind.

Sure, not arguing about that. I've met many people who chose money/success over happiness. And otherwise. I'm just not venturing to say every person chooses happiness (people just have different priorities and somehow happiness is not one of them)

I lived in Cambridge for a couple of years and loved it there. I've also been to SLC and really like it. I'm now in Mexico City (sacrificing my career) for personal reasons and I'm having a great time. For me it's not so much about the city but also the people around you and the things you do.

NBA players have different priorities too. There was a rumor DLo wanted to go to the Suns. WTF would you do that if you care about winning or being in a good situation. Hopefully, Tobias cares more about being in a good environment than money. But there is no way to tell (it's a ton of money too).
Did you go to the Orlando game?

The state tax component isn’t huge... they have to file in like every state so only like half their income is Utah based.
Ok, I'm not familiar with US tax policy. But if I remember correctly, some states like Florida has no income tax right?. And I'm not sure if some states have income tiers: you pay more if you earn above certain threshold, etc.

And when we say it’s just money and he doesn’t need all that extra that is cool but these guys have lots of family and friends they end up responsible for... not sure of his individual situation but normal dudes don’t have that much responsibility.

My guess is he secures the big bag from Philly... then they trade him later in something that is mutually beneficial... maybe then he can join us.

Maybe we are looking at the numbers wrong. If we are trying to get Memphis to take a little more (added pick or not), maybe we add Tobias THEN make the trade.

Waive Favors, Neto, Niang, Rubio, Thabo and Udoh. Sign Tobias to the max...

Tobias - $32.7
Gobert - $25
Ingles - $12
Exum - $9.6
Crowder - $7.8
Mitchell - $3.6
Korver - $3.44
Grayson - $2.43
Bradley - $1.96
O'Neale - $1.6
Cap hold - $900k (let's just assume worst)
Cap hold - $900k
TOTAL: $101.5

THEN trade Exum, Crowder, Korver, Grayson and Bradley (around $25.2)
for
Conley ($32.5)

We would be around $7 million under the cap so it should work financially. I'm not a cap expert, but couldn't we absorb some of Conley's contract since we have $7+ in space?

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

You make it sound like 30 vs 32 million a year is a deal breaker. That's like working at a job you hate for 32k instead of a job you love for 30 k. When you're making millions you wont notice the difference in life quality for that.
Where would you rather live. Crap hole Philly or Park City? It's not that hard to imagine. People chose happiness over money every minute of every day.

The Jazz don’t play in Park City. And he wouldn’t have to live in Philly.

The Memphis deal is done. Don’t mess with it and risk losing the bird we already have in our hand. If we move Exum we will probably lose a first. So be it if that means we land Tobias Harris.

Sell Tobias on continuity for him, a strong team around him that’s mostly in his age range so they could have a 6-7 year run. Plus we can always offer a 1-2 year deal for as much as we can now and then turn around and max him to keep our own players. I’d like to keep Neto for PG depth. But that’s hardly anything you hold the deal over.

Last edited:
The Memphis deal is done. Don’t mess with it and risk losing the bird we already have in our hand. If we move Exum we will probably lose a first. So be it if that means we land Tobias Harris.

Sell Tobias on continuity for him, a strong team around him that’s mostly in his age range so they could have a 6-7 year run. Plus we can always offer a 1-2 year deal for as much as we can now and then turn around and maim to keep our own players. I’d like to keep Neto for PG depth. But that’s hardly anything you hold the deal over.
Oh, the trade isn't going anywhere.

However, some rumors out there said Memphis wanted Exum. Since the trade isn't final until July 6, I'm sure we could renegotiate the terms of the deal to include Exum should Memphis want him and we need to clear his salary.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app