What's new

Trade deadline discussion

If we are going "all in", Ingles and a lightly protected 1st for Marcus Smart is good business.

If we do underachieve and go to blow it up in the summer, Smart still fits around Rudy and/or Donovan if we "retool" around one or both of them.
Smart has a pretty ugly contract. Trading them an expiring gets them out of that. Not sure we are the ones that should be offering a lightly protected pick.

I also think Boston wants to compete, so if they’re trading Smart they want some value in return.

Also, if we trade for Smart we need to send Clarkson out. I wonder if there is a 3-team deal here somewhere. Maybe with Houston with Gordon going to Boston?

Smart has a pretty ugly contract. Trading them an expiring gets them out of that. Not sure we are the ones that should be offering a lightly protected pick.

I also think Boston wants to compete, so if they’re trading Smart they want some value in return.

Also, if we trade for Smart we need to send Clarkson out. I wonder if there is a 3-team deal here somewhere. Maybe with Houston with Gordon going to Boston?
I'm pretty low on Clarkson right now, but if we really are going "all in", we can't trade somebody who might help us if he goes on one of his hot streaks. Some people think trading Clarkson is addition through subtraction, but I still think he's more of a positive than a negative. Especially since we lost Joe. That's one less guy that Quin can trust with the ball in his hands.

I'm telling you guys... Ingles/Doke and a 2027 top 8 protected 1st for Kenny Hustle and Muscala... its as good of a dart throw as we have. Muscala has turned into prime locked in Mirotic... @infection go look at it. Solves an issue on the wing... solves the backup center issue. Then you can use Royce or the trade exception to address other needs.

I don't think Kenny gets a first by himself... they likely don't care much for some ****** seconds. If they can offload those guys it really aids the tank. We can even amend the pick protections on the other pick if need be. Adds win now guys while not breaking the budget for next year. Do it damn it.
I really like this deal. I'd also like it if it's paired with a secondary move like getting Covington or Hart or Smart. If you were able to add two of those guys, you really need to move Royce, though I know that's not popular.

Many Jazz fans like to give away first round draft picks like it is Halloween candy. I am a big no on Smart especially if we have to give away a first. Jazz are going to be bad when Rudy ages out in a few years. Bogey could be gone, JC, Royce isn't getting any younger. Conley too. The Jazz have already thrown away several first round picks and now people want to send more out. How are the Jazz going to rebuild if they have no picks left? Jazz would be doing Celtics a favor taking Smart because of his contract and his bad attitude. His shooting is inconsistent too. Jazz are not championship team right now. They now have some minutes for a player. I would sign House. Play Butler some so he can adjust to the game. Maybe give Huges some minutes. I don't think there is a player who the Jazz can obtain that would make a substantial improvement. I wouldn't mind Eric Gordon if we could get rid of JC. Don't know if there is any interest. Roco is not worth giving up a first round pick.

I really like this deal. I'd also like it if it's paired with a secondary move like getting Covington or Hart or Smart. If you were able to add two of those guys, you really need to move Royce, though I know that's not popular.
We won't do it because its too NBA twitter. Neither guys are name brand and giving a first for a non-name brand player is not how you win the press conference. I do think it could have a wild effect. Muscala actually plays the drop and can move really well. I think he could play a little with Rudy if needed but he's a true stretch big. Like if Lauri Markannen was putting up his per minute numbers people would be going nuts.

Kenny is the perfect in between player and now that Joe is done we really need that. He might be a defensive savant based on his on/off numbers. They could also just be really wonky. He also might be the second coming of Alex Caruso (different types of players obvi) where he is actually like an all-nba level defender but because he looks a little different or it isn't obvious like with GPII you dismiss it.

this is the issue with the injury... while some said he only had value as an expiring I knew if we found a deal we could flip him for a different expiring and get some light value by expanding whatever trade we did.

Why is Boston trading Smart for a first in 4-5 years and a guy that can't play. He is playing well and they have picked it up lately... if they want to do a meh deal later they can. It doesn't change their cap room situation and might actually hurt in FA because they could use Marcus in some sign and trade situations. They will want an actual player if they move him and some draft capital.

I believe Royce isn't a starter in the NBA and shouldn't play the amount of minutes he does for us. We won't win anything with Royce in our starting lineup. Let's stop fooling ourselves. We should upgrade him or get draft picks that can easily surpass him via a trade

We won't do it because its too NBA twitter. Neither guys are name brand and giving a first for a non-name brand player is not how you win the press conference. I do think it could have a wild effect. Muscala actually plays the drop and can move really well. I think he could play a little with Rudy if needed but he's a true stretch big. Like if Lauri Markannen was putting up his per minute numbers people would be going nuts.

Kenny is the perfect in between player and now that Joe is done we really need that. He might be a defensive savant based on his on/off numbers. They could also just be really wonky. He also might be the second coming of Alex Caruso (different types of players obvi) where he is actually like an all-nba level defender but because he looks a little different or it isn't obvious like with GPII you dismiss it.
Could you imagine our homerism if Kenny was a guy we found? We get attached to certain guys without realizing how attached to other guys we could be.

1FDF619A-3DBD-4A01-A607-6D7DE83D3372.jpeg

this is the issue with the injury... while some said he only had value as an expiring I knew if we found a deal we could flip him for a different expiring and get some light value by expanding whatever trade we did.

I'd like to know what the deal with Sacramento was. It must've been a 3 team deal with Joe going somewhere else because the 18-34 Kings would've had no use for 34 year old Joe Ingles. I wonder what the Jazz would've gotten back?

I'd like to know what the deal with Sacramento was. It must've been a 3 team deal with Joe going somewhere else because the 18-34 Kings would've had no use for 34 year old Joe Ingles. I wonder what the Jazz would've gotten back?
I think they likely wanted him... Vivek is all in on getting into the play in cuz he dumb. I think it would have been either Joe to Kings, Bagley to OKC or Detroit, and we save money and get a second rounder from someone.

It also could have been a deal where we send Ingles/Clarkson for Hield maybe... Maybe it was something ridiculous like Joe for Thompson to save us a few million... ****... that seems like the deal we'd do... sad.