What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Good list of targets. I still don’t want to pay the premium for Barnes. I think he’s in the same category as Covington where the IDEA of Harrison Barnes is more intriguing than the real Harrison Barnes.

I already said they were holding Mitchell out pending a trade. No one listened.
It would be unprecedented, but the Jazz could be holding Rudy and Don out until after Thursday night's All Star announcement when they should both be declared All Stars. After they are declared All Stars, Utah could trade that player (Rudy or Don), and that player could still participate in the All Star Game. It would be easier to figure out after the announcement than a trade before the announcement.

If they traded them today or tomorrow, I wonder if that would completely disrupt the All Star system and maybe even cost the traded player a chance to be named an All Star.

If simply the presence of Ainge makes people panic, then there were already issues there that he was brought in to resolve.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
Eh not necessarily. Way back when I was a new supervisor, a million years ago, they brought in 2 new guys to head up the entire division. It came out they had a reputation for coming into a company and breaking it up to sell off in pieces or shut down division, like that. Turns out they did not have that agenda at all, but it was what was being circulated by everyone. Wasn't long before we were having huge group meetings to put the rumor down because attendance started to slip, productivity was falling off. My crew as a new supe was about 35 people and I was regularly having 8 or so call out for various reasons. People were quitting to get "ahead of the storm". But that was not the case at all. Over 3 years those guys did a lot to build up the division and we even had an extra pay raise each year they were there as the operation became more efficient.

So it is possible that it is just a reaction to what they think is going to happen and not any kind of reflection on any simmering issues under the surface.

I think its a confluence of things...

- star players that occasionally snipe at each other.
- extreme win now pressure.
- a couple huge collapses in the playoffs.
- a new owner that seems to be pretty involved.
- A coach that got a team president canned and then overruled the interim GM... then you bring in a big name and seemingly give him the keys. Guessing Quin and Ainge are not like besties.
- the team under performs and has a big injury.
- a big deadline approaching with all this instability.

I do think bringing in Ainge during the season was a mistake. He may not even change anything. Just put him on the payroll secretly as a consultant and wait. Or hire him last summer. I don't think he honestly opens anything up for us and having a guy with big ideas for change would naturally freak players out... on the other hand if that is why they are sucking then they were going to suck anyway because they are weak AF.
Yeah bringing in Ainge the way they did sends up a big "WE ARE GOING TO CHANGE THINGS" signal, even if that is not the intention at all, especially with his title and power as basically the substitute Ryan. He obviously has the leeway to do whatever he wants to with the team. It has definitely contributed to the uneasiness that seems pervasive on the team right now. If that was not their intention then the timing and the manner of the Ainge addition was poorly thought out and executed.

Eh not necessarily. Way back when I was a new supervisor, a million years ago, they brought in 2 new guys to head up the entire division. It came out they had a reputation for coming into a company and breaking it up to sell off in pieces or shut down division, like that. Turns out they did not have that agenda at all, but it was what was being circulated by everyone. Wasn't long before we were having huge group meetings to put the rumor down because attendance started to slip, productivity was falling off. My crew as a new supe was about 35 people and I was regularly having 8 or so call out for various reasons. People were quitting to get "ahead of the storm". But that was not the case at all. Over 3 years those guys did a lot to build up the division and we even had an extra pay raise each year they were there as the operation became more efficient.

So it is possible that it is just a reaction to what they think is going to happen and not any kind of reflection on any simmering issues under the surface.
That is very possible. Your scenario could be what is happening in our team scenario.

I just feel that a strong, unified, veteran lockerroom wouldn't be phased by the presence of Ainge. So I'm implying that we don't have a strong, unified lockerroom.

My Warriors fan brother is really high on Kuminga, which he also was (guess still is) on Wiseman.
LOL that is a funny one. Maybe if we got a fully healthy Klay back in the deal. Otherwise this goes on the dung heap of fan trades that say "hey we want Donovan, I am sure they will take our sick and injured and inept players for their superstar, right?"

Would anyone take a Beal for Mitchell trade of some kind?

LOL that is a funny one. Maybe if we got a fully healthy Klay back in the deal. Otherwise this goes on the dung heap of fan trades that say "hey we want Donovan, I am sure they will take our sick and injured and inept players for their superstar, right?"
They would definitely have to add a bunch of picks to that pile, for sure.

The next suggestion was Draymond, Wiseman and Kuminga for Rudy...

Couple things:

(1) why would we trade Mitchell or Gobert right now?
(2) why would we be holding out Mitchell for a trade he’s not involved in?

These things make no sense to me.

Here’s what realistically could happen:

(1) at the absolute “crazy” end of realistic I could see Bojan getting moved in the right deal;
(2) moderately realistic would be Clarkson getting moved;
(3) likely is picks getting attached to Ingles expiring for something;
(4) Any end of rotation or non-rotation young guys could get moved.

You will be disappointed if you expect more than that. If you feel like this team can play its way back to contention (which I am sure the FO does) that’s all that realistically can happen.

I am not saying I agree that should be the approach, but I think it is.

Couple things:

You don't trade either guy unless a team came and knocked your socks off... like say Sacramento was like eff it and give you all sorts of ****... it has to be a deal you can't say no to and the other team has to be desperate.

So Duncan did his annual mock trade deadline. We ended up trading JC/Ingles and two unprotected picks in 2016 and 2018 for Jerami Grant and Frank Jackson. We also had to lower protections on the pick we owe OKC. That is a lot... I would not do that.

If it doesn't work... and odds are that it very likely does not work... then you are looking at mediocrity after 2024-25-ish for like 10+ years.

You don't trade either guy unless a team came and knocked your socks off... like say Sacramento was like eff it and give you all sorts of ****... it has to be a deal you can't say no to and the other team has to be desperate.
Unless you have a player that is asking for a trade internally. If a player wants out, probably best to move them at the highest value possible before they publically demand a trade.

If we are trading one, we should just trade both and get as many draft picks and young players as we can. If you blow it up, go full Simple Jack.

The Jazz have already made a lot of luke warm to foolish moves that didn't move the needle enough, and have cost us a lot of future draft capital. Oh well.

Unless you have a player that is asking for a trade internally. If a player wants out, probably best to move them at the highest value possible before they publically demand a trade.

If we are trading one, we should just trade both and get as many draft picks and young players as we can. If you blow it up, go full Simple Jack.

The Jazz have already made a lot of luke warm to foolish moves that didn't move the needle enough, and have cost us a lot of future draft capital. Oh well.
I think blowing it up would be tragic. The only way worth it would be to trade our entire team to OKC for SGA, their young players and most of their load of picks.

You can't blow it up when you would have Conley, Bojan, Rudy, JC AND Don to trade. I think you could trade two of those guys and "retool" better than we could blow it up.

For example, Washington could "blow it up" pretty easily because they pretty much just have Beal and parts. Same for the most part with Portland and Dame. We have two big pieces. Pick one and move on.

Couple things:

I think the whole thing was given a) Warriors don't win the whole thing and b) Jazz have a disappointing playoff. I don't think anyone sees anything like this happening at the deadline, at least.

Personally I think a Mitchell trade is more likely than a Rudy trade, but I don't really see any of these happening.