What's new

Trade deadline discussion

This report from Marc Stein on the Jazz doesn't sound promising. Says there is internal instability that stems from a growing suspicion that Ainge wants to make major changes. Also says it's a borderline soap opera right now.

David Smith is now walking back the phrasing of his original tweet passing along this quote from Stein. David Smith is a BYU guy and is probably trying to get off of the implication that this is Ainge's fault.

I'm probably more likely than he is to think that Ainge has heavily contributed to/created much of the supposed chaos. But who knows? Maybe it's Ryan Smith? Maybe it was the DL/QS thing that never was resolved? Maybe it's all been "unsalvageable" all along and we've just been getting by on smoke and mirrors for the past season and a half? Whatever the case, I don't have much faith that Ainge will fix it in anything like the short term (next 2-3 years). Hope I'm wrong.

Its wild that OKC actively tries to suck but they have a functional good environment and end up winning too much at times... and then teams like the Kings try to be good and short cut as much as possible and yet only a couple games separate the two.
Yep, great point.

David Smith is now walking back the phrasing of his original tweet passing along this quote from Stein. David Smith is a BYU guy and is probably trying to get off of the implication that this is Ainge's fault.

That's fine. But the stuff about internal instability because of suspicions that Ainge wants to make major changes and the part about the Jazz being a borderline soap opera came from national NBA reporter Marc Stein and not David Smith.

Unless there is some falling out or revelation about Rudy and Don's relationship, I don't think the fanbase could handle the earthshattering ramifications of trading Don or Rudy

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
We gotta be real with eachother they don't get along and can't co exist on the court. They are not wired for one another off and on the court. Let's branch off trade Gobert get what we can to rid ourselves of that horrible contract and get players to compliment Donovan or else he is gone and no one near his stardom will ever come back here. Rudy is replaceable Don is not

That's fine. But the stuff about internal instability because of suspicions that Ainge wants to make major changes and the part about the Jazz being a borderline soap opera came from national NBA reporter Marc Stein and not David Smith.
If simply the presence of Ainge makes people panic, then there were already issues there that he was brought in to resolve.

Yes, of course. I'm not a huge Stein fan, but I'm likely to believe him here to some degree (though I'd like to see a more fleshed-out argument from him before just accepting this rather vague assessment without details.)

We gotta be real with eachother they don't get along and can't co exist on the court. They are not wired for one another off and on the court. Let's branch off trade Gobert get what we can to rid ourselves of that horrible contract and get players to compliment Donovan or else he is gone and no one near his stardom will ever come back here. Rudy is replaceable Don is not
I think many of us have thought this was the case for quite some time.

If they really can't coexist, the best time to separate them is now. If our season continues tanking and we unravel to end the season or playoffs, we actually lose value if other teams know that we are going to blow it up in the off-season.

I don't know. All of this seems fishy.

Andy Larsen say's besides Ingles contract, the guy the Jazz are most interested in moving is Clarkson. He says the Jazz realize that he's hurting the team right now and is a negative on both offense and defense, and they have had conversations about him with teams. He hasn't heard anything about Royce or Bogey being moved but doesn't think anyone is really completely off limits at the moment besides Don and Rudy.

https://espn700sports.com/news/andy-larsen-on-the-struggling-jazz-ingles-injury-trade-deadline-more/

If simply the presence of Ainge makes people panic, then there were already issues there that he was brought in to resolve.

Nah, it just points to the idea that Ainge and the incumbent crew may have very ideas about how to form/run a team/organization. It isn't (necessarily) an indictment one way or the other as to who is right or wrong.

Nah, it just points to the idea that Ainge and the incumbent crew may have very ideas about how to form/run a team/organization. It isn't (necessarily) an indictment one way or the other as to who is right or wrong.
You're acting like Ainge is the Bobs and he's going to downsize no matter what. I think
Ainge can see which players have upper level management written all over them.

I think its a confluence of things...

- star players that occasionally snipe at each other.
- extreme win now pressure.
- a couple huge collapses in the playoffs.
- a new owner that seems to be pretty involved.
- A coach that got a team president canned and then overruled the interim GM... then you bring in a big name and seemingly give him the keys. Guessing Quin and Ainge are not like besties.
- the team under performs and has a big injury.
- a big deadline approaching with all this instability.

I do think bringing in Ainge during the season was a mistake. He may not even change anything. Just put him on the payroll secretly as a consultant and wait. Or hire him last summer. I don't think he honestly opens anything up for us and having a guy with big ideas for change would naturally freak players out... on the other hand if that is why they are sucking then they were going to suck anyway because they are weak AF.

Andy Larsen say's besides Ingles contract, the guy the Jazz are most interested in moving is Clarkson. He says the Jazz realize that he's hurting the team right now and is a negative on both offense and defense, and they have had conversations about him with teams. He hasn't heard anything about Royce or Bogey being moved but doesn't think anyone is really completely off limits at the moment besides Don and Rudy.

https://espn700sports.com/news/andy-larsen-on-the-struggling-jazz-ingles-injury-trade-deadline-more/
I heard that too... its kind of comforting.

I think its a confluence of things...

- star players that occasionally snipe at each other.
- extreme win now pressure.
- a couple huge collapses in the playoffs.
- a new owner that seems to be pretty involved.
- A coach that got a team president canned and then overruled the interim GM... then you bring in a big name and seemingly give him the keys. Guessing Quin and Ainge are not like besties.
- the team under performs and has a big injury.
- a big deadline approaching with all this instability.

I do think bringing in Ainge during the season was a mistake. He may not even change anything. Just put him on the payroll secretly as a consultant and wait. Or hire him last summer. I don't think he honestly opens anything up for us and having a guy with big ideas for change would naturally freak players out... on the other hand if that is why they are sucking then they were going to suck anyway because they are weak AF.
I wish my dream off-season would have come to fruition of Quin hiring a fatherly-figure former head coach to be his lead assistant. I feel like we’d be in a lot better situation right now.

I wish my dream off-season would have come to fruition of Quin hiring a fatherly-figure former head coach to be his lead assistant. I feel like we’d be in a lot better situation right now.
Maybe… not sure it would have stopped him from meddling or lead him to make changes…

It’s okay though… we are six months away from Ryan hiring his roommate for Helaman Halls. He dominated their fantasy football league 2 years in a row. He’s just got an eye for this kind of thing.

I have a feeling Josh Richardson is the guy we're going to end up with.
Maybe… I wonder what we give… if it’s just a straight JC for Richardson swap sure… jingles… maybe not great financial planning. He’s the most meh realistic option so it’s probably what we get.