What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Yes...it showed him multiple times. I really hope he gets traded but I think he was legitimately out tonight because of his sore knee, not because a trade is imminent.
I hope the knee doesn't create an obstacle to trading him...

No. That was a total ******** narrative pumped by the organization. I addressed it in this post:
I don’t trust your numbers. NBA contracts are complicated, do you understand the nuances? A rookie contract may not count against the cap in the same way that a veterans does.

Last edited:
I don’t trust your numbers. NBA contracts are complicated, do you understand the nuances? A rookie contract may not count against the cap in the same way that a veterans does.
Oh boy

You’re saying you’re not trusting the numbers I specifically referenced in order to appeal to a hypothetical you just came up with. In any case, no. That’s not how it works. It’s actually the opposite. The belief is that veterans would be penalized by making more money on the scale than younger players, so they’d be discriminated against when you could sign cheaper players. When a veteran signs for the minimum, they get paid more but only the minimum amount actually counts against the cap and the league subsidized the rest of the salary… this link will explain it more:

In any case, you seem to be invested in the narrative irrespective of me providing data debunking it and absolutely no evidence supporting it, so I don’t think you’re going to find much value in anything I’m saying.

You’re saying you’re not trusting the numbers I specifically referenced in order to appeal to a hypothetical you just came up with. In any case, no. That’s not how it works. It’s actually the opposite. The belief is that veterans would be penalized by making more money on the scale than younger players, so they’d be discriminated against when you could sign cheaper players. When a veteran signs for the minimum, they get paid more but only the minimum amount actually counts against the cap and the league subsidized the rest of the salary… this link will explain it more:

In any case, you seem to be invested in the narrative irrespective of me providing data debunking it and absolutely no evidence supporting it, so I don’t think you’re going to find much value in anything I’m saying.
It’s not a narrative I just created. I heard it on the radio or on locked on Jazz podcast (maybe both, it’s been a few years and I can’t remember.)

Thanks for posting that link, it is interesting but I don’t think it would apply because Neto was not on a veterans minimum deal. According to Hoopshype Neto would have made $2,264,232 with the Jazz that season.

It’s been a few years, but if I remember correctly Nero’s contract would have put them into a penalty with the luxury tax. And it was just barely. So Nigel’s contract of $1,500,00 would have helped them stay under.

You’ll remember that previous ownership was not willing to go into the luxury tax.

I agree that it’s strange that the Jazz are trying to sign Mitchell’s friends. I hope that’s not the case. The priority should be winning. Especially since it seems like Mitchell is good at making friends.

You buy into the theory that local media twists stories to sell the Jazz. I buy into the theory that national media isn’t as close to the team and makes up stories.

I’ll take local media over national any day. (Locke is extremely bias and has reason to be, I take that into consideration.)

Shams reported the Jazz were releasing Neto to make room for the Conley trade.

I don’t claim to understand NBA salaries and trade rules. Could they have kept him and gone into the luxury tax? Or would the trade not have been approved if they kept him? I really don’t know and I don’t want to look it up (but if anyone provides a link, I’ll read it.)

Man, this place is funny sometimes. I skim these threads often and usually can pick up the main points, but sometimes it is just bizarre.

Can someone please explain to me why there are multiple posts in the tread deadline thread debating why Neto was released three years ago?

Actually, never mind. I probably don’t want to know. Carry on :)

Others have mentioned Bagley. I admit I don't know much. Could he be a good bench big/small ball center for us?

We could do Clarkson and either Dok or Whiteside for him. In the process, we could save $3 million in salaries and a ton in luxury. Maybe we get a 2nd?

Not very exciting, but maybe a good deal looking towards the future?

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Others have mentioned Bagley. I admit I don't know much. Could he be a good bench big/small ball center for us?

We could do Clarkson and either Dok or Whiteside for him. In the process, we could save $3 million in salaries and a ton in luxury. Maybe we get a 2nd?

?? What would be the point of this? We need wing defenders. WTF does he even bring to a team?

Man, this place is funny sometimes. I skim these threads often and usually can pick up the main points, but sometimes it is just bizarre.

Can someone please explain to me why there are multiple posts in the tread deadline thread debating why Neto was released three years ago?

Actually, never mind. I probably don’t want to know. Carry on :)
There is a Neto and Udoh love fest here for some weird reason. Don't get me wrong they are both great humans, but neither are very good from professional basketball standpoint.

He’s trash. It’d be better to sign him to a minimum than trade for him right now. His qualifying offer to keep him as a restricted free agent is more than anyone will want to pay him. Not at all the player we should be looking at.

I’m glad I’m not alone in seeing this.
It’s the old lolz crowd telling us we don’t know cuz we don’t get a check… I could have been a part time capologist for the Jazz and ran circles around the guy who did it the last 7-8 years. Wouldn’t change the decisions DL made just so he could enjoy the smell of his own farts by trying to force NWG and Tony Bradley into being good picks.

It’s just maths people… ain’t that hard.

Also anyone citing Locke on cap stuff needs to re-evaluate things. He repeats what Managment tells him and has no clue on anything cap related.

I’m at the point where I would ship JC for peanuts. All of his value is wrapped up in his ability to “carry” the usage load when Don is out, but the truth is we can score with anyone. Forrest looks so much better when he tries to score. Paschall can score. Butler might even be a better offensive engine because he can pass.

It would be a bad optics trade and tough to convince the other player….but even if it’s just for an expiring salary so we aren’t in the tax next year it’s a good piece of business.

Now if we could move him for a Smart/Richardson type….we’d be in business.

?? What would be the point of this? We need wing defenders. WTF does he even bring to a team?
I understand we need wing defenders but the playoffs will require us to have a solid small ball 5 too. I didn't know if he was a good buy low candidate or just not ready to help at all.

If we can trade Clarkson for savings, we could use our exception on somebody like Holiday from Indiana.

The stupidity of the small ball 5 continues. We don’t just need a small ball 5, we need Marvin ****ing Bagley to be said small ball 5. You think it can’t get worse, but it always does lol.