What's new

Tyrone Corbin is now the head coach of the Sacramento Kings

I actually think Corbin's offense could be good with Cousins, the problem is that Vivek wants him to play fast, so I'm not sure how that is going to play out. If Corbin does anything positive in this situation it will be pretty impressive, nearly guaranteed to fail.

I hated Ty Corbin as the Jazz head coach, but genuinely like him as a person. I actually feel bad for him because he's being set up to fail - and fail badly. The Kings will be too good to tank once Cousins gets back, but no matter how poorly they do I don't think you can lay it at Corbin's feet. He got shoved into an impossible situation for a completely dysfunctional team.

They spread the floor and get wide open shots all game long. That's what happens.

And a ton of offensive boards. It's going to be so fun to watch the Kings crash. Hey, I wonder if I should contact Randive about the coaching position. He apparently thinks success with children's teams translates to the NBA. I've had some great teams. Coached one to the mythological league championship. And we were amazing defensively.

I hated Ty Corbin as the Jazz head coach, but genuinely like him as a person. I actually feel bad for him because he's being set up to fail - and fail badly. The Kings will be too good to tank once Cousins gets back, but no matter how poorly they do I don't think you can lay it at Corbin's feet. He got shoved into an impossible situation for a completely dysfunctional team.
Yep. And apparently he was pretty loyal to Malone in terms of backing him up. Ty IS a good guy from everything we hear. And now we know why he could so easily step into the head assistant job (it was a shocker at the time). Kudos to those like Gentry who interviewed with the owner and/or GM and were creeped out by the situation. It was pretty clear what he was doing.

Maybe Ranadive should just turn over the coaching duties and substitutions to a call center in India.

lol what a train wreck this is becoming.

Reports coming in that that vivek had a meeting with Mark Jackson...

lol what a train wreck this is becoming.

Reports coming in that that vivek had a meeting with Mark Jackson...
Yeah. . . that's going to work well. A guy who can't get along with management coaching for a guy who has meddled more with his basketball operations more in the last year than some do over the whole course of their ownership.

What could possibly go wrong?

#PassThePopcorn

Latest report is that the owner either likes Ty, wants Quin, or is going to higher his daughters band teacher.

Vivek Ranadive is grateful for the discipline and order that Mike Malone restored in the Kings. But he wants Sacramento's next head coach to be an offensive-minded "jazz director."

Say what you will about Ty, and we all have including myself, but the guy is a hard worker. He did not have the support of DL and was in a tough situation with the Jazz. I hope he does well and the media doesn't get sick of his "One game at a time" schtick.

So I watched last night's game which was just terrific despite the loss and then I compared kanter's play with the previous clippers game that I still had on my dvr. Just comparing the defense kanter played last night to the defense he played earlier in the previous clippers game was night and day. It didn't even look like the same player. Kanter moved his feet very well and he rotated to the open guy. Played the pick and roll very well and got a hand up on almost every shot. The improvement in his defense is noticeable.

This cherry pick idea is beyond dumb. Yes, maybe that thought pops in your head but if you take 10 seconds to think it through before you say it out loud you realize how dumb it is. NBA teams would just send a guy to defend the cherry picker leaving the other side of the court 4v4, which means better spacing and higher fg percentages. Teams would love to play 4v4 on offense and leave their defensive 5th guy to stay on the defense side.

It worked well for them on the first try... if thats what happened.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sacramento-kings-4-on-5-play-failed-2014-12

I don't hold any grudges...I wish Corbin the best. He wasn't it good fit in Utah, hopefully he does better in Sacramento.

This cherry pick idea is beyond dumb. Yes, maybe that thought pops in your head but if you take 10 seconds to think it through before you say it out loud you realize how dumb it is. NBA teams would just send a guy to defend the cherry picker leaving the other side of the court 4v4, which means better spacing and higher fg percentages. Teams would love to play 4v4 on offense and leave their defensive 5th guy to stay on the defense side.

It worked well for them on the first try... if thats what happened.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sacramento-kings-4-on-5-play-failed-2014-12

It didn't. It was a botched substitution. Even at that, it resulted in a contested layup attempt. After a made or even a missed shot that hits the rim, one of the guards can sprint back on defense. It MIGHT catch a team napping ONE time in a game. And a 5-on-4 is going to leave someone wide open for a 3 or an easy basket underneath. Hey Vivek - buddy - let me give you some news you may not be aware of: NBA players are faster and much better shooters than city league girls.

Because no one else wants to work for an owner who is going to meddle in their business and draw up crazy plays. I feel bad for Sacramento fans. The city worked so hard to keep the team and now they have the worst owner. Next up is outsourcing his scouting department to India. They'll just do a compilation of mock drafts and that will be their board. Why pay a staff to do the work when a whole group of "experts" already does it for you...for free! In fact, no need to even pay a boiler room full of laborers to do it. Just consult the epic draft thread on this forum. We have a couple of experts providing commentary and colton, I believe, always comes through with a compilation.

Last edited:
Because no one else wants to work for an owner who is going to meddle in their business and draw up crazy plays. I feel bad for Sacramento fans. The city worked so hard to keep the team and now they have the worst owner. Next up is outsourcing his scouting department to India. They'll just do a compilation of mock drafts and that will be their board. Why pay a staff to do the work when a whole group of "experts" already does it for you...for free![/QUOTE]

There's also the business of not wanting to take over a team partway through the season. They'll find someone to take the job in the offseason. Also, I don't know that an overinvolved owner qualifies as worse than the penny-pinching Maloof Brothers.

^^
I suppose some assistant coaches are always desperate enough to get their first opportunity. Ranadive has gone through the first group of prospects: Jackson, Karl, etc. He'll need to turn to assistants next. Maybe he can hire Blatt; looks like King James is about to run him out of town.

^^
I suppose some assistant coaches are always desperate enough to get their first opportunity. Ranadive has gone through the first group of prospects: Jackson, Karl, etc. He'll need to turn to assistants next. Maybe he can hire Blatt; looks like King James is about to run him out of town.

That raises the question - what is worse - owner meddling with basketball decision, or player meddling with management decisions?

That raises the question - what is worse - owner meddling with basketball decision, or player meddling with management decisions?

Owners.
At least players have some basketball knowledge and can see, from the players' perspective (and locker room atmosphere), when a coach or his strategies just aren't meshing with the team. Most owners have never played or coached NBA basketball (MJ the exception). Not that I agree with players forcing coaches out of positions.

LOL .. has anyone else seen this? Boogie just body slamed Smart & got ejected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQupwc53zaQ