What's new

Utah Jazz vs Pheonix Suns - ESA - 8:30p mst - February 11, 2010

We also tried to force the Evans oop 3 times in a row again with no luck.

Need to bury that play. Think teams know about it.

Also, why did we stop giving touches to Hayward. He was hot last nite

I'm against the home crowd booing their team but between the Suns fans being loud and pissing me off, the overall disappointed feeling in the arena from what took place the last few days and loosing 4 straight at home combined with scoring what 7 or 9 points in the last 6min of the game. I was booing my *** off last night, I'll be honest though if it wasn't for the Suns fans I prolly wouldn't have boo'd I just didn't want to hear them.

With the way the Jazz played the 2nd half there wasn't much Ty could do, I know I was upset Hayward didn't play more in place of Watson since he is looking as bad as he was at the beginning of the season but that likely wasn't enough to change the outcome. Not when Fes, Elson & Watson score 0 points and Evans scores 3 (but he was one of the few that hit a jumper).

Jefferson and CJ are majorly inconsistant. For AJ, it's more in his head, I think. The guy thinks too much. If we played fast break basketball, he'd perform better (not saying that we should). CJ is fine off the bench, but for a starting SG, we need somebody who can actually shoot semi-well every game. I hope we make some trades that will actually help us. A defensive center would be nice, as well. And if we continue to suck, I think every player on the roster has the potential to be traded.

Oh wow after I posted I just realized that the ROOKIES were the only bench points, way to step up there vets.

Also I should prolly look this up first but as pissed as I was with him and as bad as AJ played, Millsap was out rebounded by every starter and Hayward.

The 2nd half was all about E F F F O R T *yes I know there's an extra "F" as in the Jazz get an F for theirs or use your imagination for others*

Last edited:
Jefferson got OWNED by Gortat and Lopez.
I know the dude is absolute garbage imagine what kind of useless no talent hack one would have to be too be OWNED by him, does one such player even exist? If so he probably would've had to play for the Jazz since the franchise is so full of suck and even then that player would need to have a history of missing games and have non existing defense for such a worthless player as Jefferson to not get owned let a lone actually own anybody himself.

Well, I thought that I would stay away from the board simply because after last night's performance, the fan's would be freak'n out.However, I just can't stay away. First of all the Jazz have been playing pretty crappy since we started 15-5 so I am not surprised that they will continue to suck. The Jazz are simply not a very talented team. It is so obvious whose fault it is. KOC!!!! He is the guy who has put this team together. So he needs to fix it. Almost every game I see other teams substitute their players in and they absolutely own our second unit. It is time to get talented players and not system guys.

Positives last night - Good first half, AK playing great, Team passing the ball, Hayward looked like a new player (liked him bring the ball up), Millsap, DW and CJ had a nice first half. Team seemed energized. Then Phoenix actually started playing defense and the Jazz lack of shooting and size just jump right at you. One of the most embarrassing half of b-ball I have witnessed.

Negatives- AK getting hurt again. AJ worse game as a Jazz man, the bench, lack of rebound and horrible defense.

The Suns got more than a couple marginal calls in their favor in the first half, enough to be a factor in keeping them in the game. Otherwise it was close to being a blowout before AK's ankle. The two calls on Watson in particular were a huge momo killer, but not the only examples. The Jazzs need to learn how to cut down on the fouls and the turnovers. I am available.

Last edited:
We also tried to force the Evans oop 3 times in a row again with no luck.

Need to bury that play. Think teams know about it.

Also, why did we stop giving touches to Hayward. He was hot last nite

So why do you think we decided to try that play 3 times in a row? Now that The Man is no longer holding this team back, they can play with the open, agressive style they want.

Jefferson and CJ are majorly inconsistant. For AJ, it's more in his head, I think. The guy thinks too much. If we played fast break basketball, he'd perform better (not saying that we should). CJ is fine off the bench, but for a starting SG, we need somebody who can actually shoot semi-well every game. I hope we make some trades that will actually help us. A defensive center would be nice, as well. And if we continue to suck, I think every player on the roster has the potential to be traded.

AJ is MAJORLY inconsistant? Kab this is just incorrect.

Game scoring going backwards in time is below. It shows he's quite consistent. Early in the season he wasn't doing as well, but still consistent, and as of late he's been doing quite well and pretty consistent.

For someone like AJ, last night's game is not for him. He just barely made the transition from "just throw to me" - his Minnesota offense to learning how to play WITHIN a structured offense, which was primarily a half court game. Then he had to adjust to last nights free-willy offense. And as we all witnessed - he didn't do so well.

Also, to add to the AJ analysis - according to HUBIE last night AJ is shooting 57% over the last N games (can anyone recall exactly)? He has stepped up his game. I think due to understanding, repetition, and practice - game time practice. How many "beastly" dunks has he had this past month compared to his first month here in Utah? He was getting the hang of the game. The half court game.

And I understand that this is one of the issues that Deron had with Jerry. The insistance of Jerry to LEARN how to play a half court game is what has matured AJ in my opinion. Jerry has said that the half court game is the only way to win in the playoffs. The 'pushing it' game has its value in certain instances - when it is there. And it is WAY MORE OFTEN an option in the regular season when teams play only 70% effort on d (like last nights Sun's first half compared to their second half as a prime example.)

So when we are noting that this player sucked and that player sucked i think it is due to the "New Offense" that was run last night. Hopefully, as a Jazz fan, we pick an offense, stick with it in order to maximize the most important player's contribution (a Jerry theory...)

And one more....

AK seem to be re-energized like i have not seen in forever. His rebounding was the tell tale sign. He's always had an interest in cutting to the basket for 2-handed slams, but his rebounding was great. I think he would flourish more in this wide-open, Dwill-requested offense. (And many of you on the board have said for years he belongs in Nelly ball) So i would expect if the new offense is continued that AK (provided he plays) will increase his production and AJ's will decrease. From a view to the playoffs perspective, and a year from now perspectinve this is the wrong strategy.

That's not open, aggressive. That's dumb and old. Evans appears to have a nice mid-range jumper. Hit another one last nite. Lets go to him for that out of a play instead. If the oop is there fine, but the days of getting the free one because no ones knows who he is is over.

Ya actually now that I think about it I was hoping to see Evans on Warrick even before the game started and more so once Elson didn't look productive and Warrick was hitting everything he threw up. But IMO as I mentioned I doubt that would've been enough to change the outcome of the game.

That's not open, aggressive. That's dumb and old. Evans appears to have a nice mid-range jumper. Hit another one last nite. Lets go to him for that out of a play instead. If the oop is there fine, but the days of getting the free one because no ones knows who he is is over.

I was talking with the perspective that i think Deron has, and possibly other players. They want the freedom. Or if not the freedom, the choice to do it their way.

The forcing of the ally-oop 3 times in a row was very symbolic of the guys "wanting to do the good stuff ya know..."

Fellas, this is my first ever post here. Been on prosportsdaily for some time now. Jazz fan since the 80's. Sloan's resignation was my saddest day as a Jazz fan.

As for the team, Big Al is not doing it. Yes, he puts up stats but basketball is more than stats. It's about working within an offense and playing defense. Defensively, Big Al is a massive liability. Every single trip the 2nd half by Phoenix started with a pick roll set with Nash and their center (Lopez or Gortat). Al got abused. If Phoenix could hit their 3's, we would have lost by 30. On offense, Al gets points but he clogs up everything. His inability to consistently catch the ball while moving cost us 3 or 4 possessions last night. It's obvious to me that he just can't be our center, and I'm perfectly fine with Millsap as our starter at PF. He moves well without the ball and has range. His development has been hampered by Al clogging everything up, but he's still putting up as good of stats as Al even though he gets less plays run for him. So the stats argument for Al over Millsap carries no weight in my opinion.

As for Deron, I think he needs to go. He is a great, great player, but I think that a large part of the Jazz nation will always suspect him for being the reason Sloan is no longer here. I'm not here to debate if that's true, but just to point out that we're smarter to shop him now than to risk losing him for nothing. If Vegas put a line on Deron's chances of staying in Utah in two summers, I'd guess that him leaving would hugely outweigh him staying. Since he's probably leaving and we have no guarantees we could get anything for him like Melo will get for Denver because of the 2011-12 CBA situation, then we need to shop him now. Add in that the entire Jazz nation will never embrace him again, that's just more of a reason to get what we can now. It's not rebuilding because we could get a massive trade for Deron. It's only starting fresh.

The first one worked - free throws.
The second didn't.
The third was not an alley oop, just a dropped pass when he was wide open under the basket.

Two tweets from Greg Miller at halftime:

@GregInUtah: "There's a great vibe in the locker room at the half."

@GregInUtah: "No disrespect to Jerry from anyone- just lots of excitement for the future."

I wonder how much vibe and excitement there was after the game?

Heck, Sloan lost his first game as Jazz head coach, too. One loss ain't no big deal, but once again, Greg comes off to me as the spoiled brat who not only is losing sight of the principles his father built his businesses around - but someone who seems almost giddy in doing so. I saw him cheer more in the first half than I think he had the entire season. Leadership starts at the top, and I just don't like what I see/hear from Greg.
I really hope he proves me wrong.

I thought T.V. was broken during the first quarter, everything looked like it was in fast forward....AK playing like old AK.....then we were hit with reality. Soft. Soft. Soft. All of them.