What's new

Utah to the Pac 10? MWC to get BCS game?

I don't think the market Kansas brings is enough to offset the geographic cost Kansas would bring to the Big East. The Big East has 16 basketball schools anyway, and I don't believe they'll add more. I don't see any of the current teams being kicked out, either.

I don't think the market Kansas brings is enough to offset the geographic cost Kansas would bring to the Big East. The Big East has 16 basketball schools anyway, and I don't believe they'll add more. I don't see any of the current teams being kicked out, either.

The Big East has 16 basketball schools right now, yes. But if the Big 10 expands (which is what has to happen in order for the Pac to get anyone from the Big 12) then at least a couple Big East schools will be headed to the Big 12 (Notre Dame and UConn are the current rumors).

I agree about the Kansas market size. But what they bring in basketball would be hard to pass up- especially to a basketball conference like the Big East.

The Big East has 16 basketball schools right now, yes. But if the Big 10 expands (which is what has to happen in order for the Pac to get anyone from the Big 12) then at least a couple Big East schools will be headed to the Big 12 (Notre Dame and UConn are the current rumors).

I agree about the Kansas market size. But what they bring in basketball would be hard to pass up- especially to a basketball conference like the Big East.

The scenario given was that the Big Ten picked up UM and UN, not a school from the Big East. Although, you're right, even with that scenario, the Big Ten probably wants to go to 16, so the Big East is there to take from.

Facts? You never have brought a single "FACT" to a BYU/Utah debate. Just your completely false and pathetic beliefs and hype as shown earlier in this thread in the quote that was quoted by the other poster. .
Hey, can we go back to when you were ignoring me please? Thanks, Sport.

If the Pac-10 is going to move on Utah it will be now. Pac has to renegotiate the TV contracts that expire after this season and if they want to have a conference championship game in there somewhere on the next contract they need to have 12 teams in place to do it.

If the Pac-10 is going to move on Utah it will be now. Pac has to renegotiate the TV contracts that expire after this season and if they want to have a conference championship game in there somewhere on the next contract they need to have 12 teams in place to do it.

The PAC 10 tv contract expires after next season, not this season. Colorado isn't joining the PAC 10 until the 2012 season.

The PAC 10 tv contract expires after next season, not this season. Colorado isn't joining the PAC 10 until the 2012 season.
Oh OK sorry I misread the dates you are right. I still think they might move sooner rather than later though in case they want to begin negotiation on extending the current contracts.

Oh OK sorry I misread the dates you are right. I still think they might move sooner rather than later though in case they want to begin negotiation on extending the current contracts.

I didn't expect the PAC 10 to do anything until after this coming football season. But now, with Colorado already confirmed and all the Big 12 stuff that went down, I think Utah will be confirmed by the end of the week.

I agree Salty. A win/win for both Utah and the MWC. Boise will replace Utah as the top football program and we head to bigger and better things.

I agree Salty. A win/win for both Utah and the MWC. Boise will replace Utah as the top football program and we head to bigger and better things.

How is it a win for the MWC. They lose a big market in place of Boise. They lose the TV rights on one of the biggest rivalry games in the west. At least half the time. They lose a 2X BCS winner but replace them with another one. But overall it's still a lose for the MWC to lose Utah.

Well, BYU will keep the Mountain West relevant in Salt Lake City, so it won't totally lose that market, plus it gains the Boise/most of Idaho market. I think it's a slight positive.

Well, BYU will keep the Mountain West relevant in Salt Lake City, so it won't totally lose that market, plus it gains the Boise/most of Idaho market. I think it's a slight positive.

Wrong. Here is an example...

Wyoming comes to Utah. All the media members have no trouble getting a flight on just about any airline, at just about any time, on any day. They have no trouble finding awesome hotel rooms, and there are plenty of rental cars, high speed internet access, good cell phone coverage with all the carriers, lots of attractions around the city, awesome press box at the stadium, etc. Not to mention that if the game is on tv, they can charge a certain amount for the marketing and what not.

Swap Utah with Boise. Say Wyoming plays at Boise. It's a smaller airport with fewer airlines and fewer flights, fewer hotels and car rentals, fewer attractions around the city, and a smaller market so the tv networks can't charge as much for marketing and what not.

Just because the MWC has BYU doesn't mean it's an even trade (or slight positive as you laughably claimed) when they lose Utah and get Boise. As far as wins on the football field, yeah, it's probably even. But in every other way losing Utah is a huge loss.

What does the media have to do with whether it's a net minus or plus in the MWC's eyes? The number one goal is money and TV money. Boise has the majority of the Idaho market, a far superior percentage to what Utah has. I'm unsure what the total amount of households Boise draws, but the overall market, not the city proper, is the important number. Why should the MWC care what the airport, rental car, and hotel situation is?

What does the media have to do with whether it's a net minus or plus in the MWC's eyes? The number one goal is money and TV money. Boise has the majority of the Idaho market, a far superior percentage to what Utah has. I'm unsure what the total amount of households Boise draws, but the overall market, not the city proper, is the important number. Why should the MWC care what the airport, rental car, and hotel situation is?
Uh, the MWC cares about the media because that IS the tv money. As far as the market size goes, SLC is the #31 market in the nation, Boise is the #112 market.
https://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp

So there is absolutely no comparison. Wyoming comes to SLC, the fans/media/team/etc will have a lot easier time getting here, and will have a lot easier time getting rooms. That probably doesn't matter too much if it's just a Wyoming game with nothing else going on. However, if Utah and Notre Dame play with a national championship on the line, and a couple heisman candidates playing against each other, you can be sure that hotel rooms, flights, rental cars, restaurants, and anything else that would make the national media want to flock to SLC (giving good media exposure to the conference) would be no problem in SLC (which had no problem hosting the Olympics)- Boise is another story. And in addition to that, there is a huge discrepancy in the tv market size, so the charge for advertising during the game would be a lot more if Utah were involved than it would be if Boise were involved.

It's not even close. Utah is a way bigger and better program than Boise State. That's whay the Pac 10 went after Utah and not Boise State. Heck, the MWC wasn't even sure they wanted Boise State. You can bet they are absolutely sure they want Utah if Utah would consider staying.

Last edited:
Fresno to the MWC? This Fresno fan can only hope...although I think the MWC would want Houston over Fresno if they decide to re-expand after losing Utah. Maybe they would take both? What do you guys think? There has also been some rumblings about UNR, but they've got a worse chance than Fresno I think...

Uh, the MWC cares about the media because that IS the tv money. As far as the market size goes, SLC is the #31 market in the nation, Boise is the #112 market.
https://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp

But they aren't losing that market because BYU is still in the conference. I'm willing to bet if you took the SLC market, took out the Utah fans that only watch Utah, and replace that with whatever Boise brings to the table, the number of heads watching MWC football doesn't change or actually projects upwards a quite bit.

Last edited:
But they aren't losing that market because BYU is still in the conference. I'm willing to bet if you took the SLC market, took out the Utah fans that only watch Utah, and replace that with whatever Boise brings to the table, the number of heads watching MWC football doesn't change or actually projects upwards a quite bit.

You're crazy. You'd lose that bet every time.

Again, BYU has nothing to do with this. Yes, the MWC would be losing the Utah market for 12 games per year (or whatever Utah would normally be scheduled).

Just because BYU is also in the market for 12 games per year, doesn't mean Utah's 12 won't be lost.

As in my example, just because Wyoming plays at BYU doesn't mean they don't also play Utah. And there is no question about it, a game on tv in SLC is going to bring in more money than a game on tv in Boise. No comparison.

And you are out of your mind if you don't think the majority of fans in SLC are Ute fans. BYU might have some fans here, but UItah most definitely has plenty of fans here. They aren't packing around 50,000 people in the stadium every week that really hate the Utes, that's for sure.

BYU fans need to get over themselves. If this Pac 10 thing wasn't a reality check for you, then you really need some help. The world doesn't care about BYU as much as you like to think they do.

There is no question that Utah leaving the MWC is a huge blow to the conference. And just having BYU is not even close to the same thing as having both BYU and Utah. The conference has 24 games (or whatever) between the 2 of them right now, and that is going to be cut in half (and replaced with a much smaller market).

You're crazy. You'd lose that bet every time.

Again, BYU has nothing to do with this. Yes, the MWC would be losing the Utah market for 12 games per year (or whatever Utah would normally be scheduled).

Look, I'm under the impression that the majority of college football fans in the state of Idaho are Boise State fans. If that assumption is wrong, then I'm wrong. If that assumption is right, then I'm right. SLC proper isn't that big. The Suburbs and Provo/Ogden areas make up 93% of the SLC T.V. market.

It's alright. It's like if you lived in SLC and weren't aware of the surrounding areas....you might think Utah was some crazy liberal land. Luckily for all of us, that isn't that case....you venture outside of SLC and you find the real political story. Same thing here with football fans. Luckily for us football fans....if we venture outside of SLC.....we find the real football story.

Look, I'm under the impression that the majority of college football fans in the state of Idaho are Boise State fans. If that assumption is wrong, then I'm wrong. If that assumption is right, then I'm right. SLC proper isn't that big. The Suburbs and Provo/Ogden areas make up 93% of the SLC T.V. market.

Did you see the link I posted with the market sizes? SLC market was almost 4 times larger than the Boise market. I'm not talking the city, I'm talking the tv market (which Boise's covers most of Idaho).

So I agree with you that most people in Idaho who care about college football are Boise State fans. I'm just saying it doesn't matter- there are more Ute fans watching tv than Boise State fans watching tv. If the stadium sizes alone don't prove it, and the market sizes alone don't reflect it, then the fact that the Pac 10 never even considered adding Boise- even though Boise already plays several sports in the Pac 10 that the WAC schools don't play, then that should say it all.

And Ogden/Provo do NOT make up 90% of the SLC market, lol. Salt Lake County alone is a lot bigger than Utah County and Weber County combined, lol.

Salt Lake County: 1,022,651
https://www.google.com/publicdata?d...035&dl=en&hl=en&q=salt+lake+county+population

Utah County: 530,837
https://www.google.com/publicdata?d...ty:49049&dl=en&hl=en&q=utah+county+population

Weber County: 196,533
https://www.google.com/publicdata?d...y+population#met=population&idim=county:49057

It's not even close.

Last edited: