What's new

Utah to the Pac 10? MWC to get BCS game?

And Ogden/Provo do NOT make up 90% of the SLC market, lol. Salt Lake County alone is a lot bigger than Utah County and Weber County combined, lol.

The "Suburbs" I was referring to were Salt Lake's. Let's be real here, U of U's T.V. "Market" extends from about the Southern X- Posure to the North and about Deuces Wild to the South. Anywhere beyond that, you're not going to meet many Utah fans.

So I agree with you that most people in Idaho who care about college football are Boise State fans. I'm just saying it doesn't matter- there are more Ute fans watching tv than Boise State fans watching tv. If the stadium sizes alone don't prove it, and the market sizes alone don't reflect it, then the fact that the Pac 10 never even considered adding Boise- even though Boise already plays several sports in the Pac 10 that the WAC schools don't play, then that should say it all..

Boise State is evolving. Not a very good academic reputation and they have only been playing D1 football for awhile. I think that's the main issue with them at this point. If they keep playing good ball and improve their academics, they will probably be attractive to somewhere down the road.

Fresno to the MWC? This Fresno fan can only hope...although I think the MWC would want Houston over Fresno if they decide to re-expand after losing Utah. Maybe they would take both? What do you guys think? There has also been some rumblings about UNR, but they've got a worse chance than Fresno I think...

What reason does the MWC have to expand at this point? This conference is full of teams that abandoned that ship once in the Wac 16. They **** their pants at the mere thought of any expansion. That would hesitate to invite Notre Dame.

I'm totally down with Fresno if they ever decide to though. No to Reno, and I honestly have never even taken a minute to think about Houston.

Last edited:
Wow, multi quote feature is awesome, lol

The "Suburbs" I was referring to were Salt Lake's. Let's be real here, U of U's T.V. "Market" extends from about the Southern X- Posure to the North and about Deuces Wild to the South. Anywhere beyond that, you're not going to meet many Utah fans.
Total BS. That's my point about BYU fans thinking they are far more important than they are. You're just crazy if you don't think there are many Utah fans in Sandy (which is well south of Deuces) or in Ogden (which is well north of Northern X). It's utterly ridiculous for you to assume otherwise. There are plenty of Ute fans in St George, for crying out loud. Not saying the majority of fans in St George are Ute fans, but there are certainly plenty of them there.

Boise State is evolving. Not a very good academic reputation and they have only been playing D1 football for awhile. I think that's the main issue with them at this point. If they keep playing good ball and improve their academics, they will probably be attractive to somewhere down the road.
And Utah is also an evolving program. They are already a lot bigger and better than Boise in every imaginable way though. There is not a conference out there that would rather have Boise than Utah, including the MWC. For you to imply otherwise is crazy talk that only a BYU fan could come up with.

I just realized that anyone that disagrees with Salty is, "Crazy, delusional, or utterly ridiculous".

All hail the mighty Dawg.

I just realized that anyone that disagrees with Salty is, "Crazy, delusional, or utterly ridiculous".

All hail the mighty Dawg.
Certainly anyone saying the MWC (or any other conference, for that matter) would rather have Boise State than Utah is crazy, delusional, AND utterly ridiculous. No question about that.

And to add to that, not only would they have to be crazy, delusional, and utterly ridiculous, but anyone trying to make that stupid argument is more than likely going to be a BYU fan.

Certainly anyone saying the MWC (or any other conference, for that matter) would rather have Boise State than Utah is crazy, delusional, AND utterly ridiculous. No question about that.

And to add to that, not only would they have to be crazy, delusional, and utterly ridiculous, but anyone trying to make that stupid argument is more than likely going to be a BYU fan.

I would rather have Utah than Boise but that is because I hate Boise fans. Take it for what you want but Boise has beaten Utah in ratings for their BCS bowl games.

The Broncos also were part of the highest-rated BCS game involving a non-BCS team. Their 2007 Fiesta triumph over Oklahoma produced an 8.4 rating.

Read more: https://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/01/06/1031320/notebook-fiesta-bowl-tv-ratings.html#ixzz0qyZsiIya

https://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/01/06/1031320/notebook-fiesta-bowl-tv-ratings.html

Last edited:
I would rather have Utah than Boise but that is because I hate Boise fans. Take it for what you want but Boise has beaten Utah in ratings for their BCS bowl games.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/01/06/1031320/notebook-fiesta-bowl-tv-ratings.html

Nope. The Utah Fiesta Bowl had higher ratings than the Boise Fiesta Bowl listed in your article:
https://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20050107/ai_n11496676/
Utah's Fiesta Bowl had a 9.2 rating. Boise's Fiesta Bowl rating in your article was 8.2, and it says it "was the eighth-lowest in the 50-game history of the BCS..."

Uh, the MWC cares about the media because that IS the tv money. As far as the market size goes, SLC is the #31 market in the nation, Boise is the #112 market.
https://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp

So there is absolutely no comparison. Wyoming comes to SLC, the fans/media/team/etc will have a lot easier time getting here, and will have a lot easier time getting rooms. That probably doesn't matter too much if it's just a Wyoming game with nothing else going on. However, if Utah and Notre Dame play with a national championship on the line, and a couple heisman candidates playing against each other, you can be sure that hotel rooms, flights, rental cars, restaurants, and anything else that would make the national media want to flock to SLC (giving good media exposure to the conference) would be no problem in SLC (which had no problem hosting the Olympics)- Boise is another story. And in addition to that, there is a huge discrepancy in the tv market size, so the charge for advertising during the game would be a lot more if Utah were involved than it would be if Boise were involved.

It's not even close. Utah is a way bigger and better program than Boise State. That's whay the Pac 10 went after Utah and not Boise State. Heck, the MWC wasn't even sure they wanted Boise State. You can bet they are absolutely sure they want Utah if Utah would consider staying.

Did you see the link I posted with the market sizes? SLC market was almost 4 times larger than the Boise market. I'm not talking the city, I'm talking the tv market (which Boise's covers most of Idaho).

So I agree with you that most people in Idaho who care about college football are Boise State fans. I'm just saying it doesn't matter- there are more Ute fans watching tv than Boise State fans watching tv. If the stadium sizes alone don't prove it, and the market sizes alone don't reflect it, then the fact that the Pac 10 never even considered adding Boise- even though Boise already plays several sports in the Pac 10 that the WAC schools don't play, then that should say it all.

And Ogden/Provo do NOT make up 90% of the SLC market, lol. Salt Lake County alone is a lot bigger than Utah County and Weber County combined, lol.

Salt Lake County: 1,022,651
https://www.google.com/publicdata?d...035&dl=en&hl=en&q=salt+lake+county+population

Utah County: 530,837
https://www.google.com/publicdata?d...ty:49049&dl=en&hl=en&q=utah+county+population

Weber County: 196,533
https://www.google.com/publicdata?d...y+population#met=population&idim=county:49057

It's not even close.

Link says 944,000, which doesn't add up to the amount of the three counties, so it's pretty obvious the link only mentions metro size and not TV market.

Utah is considered the better athletic institution than Boise, which is something the Pac-10 would want in a full fledged member.

Announcement to be made tomorrow.
My sources are rock solid.
I heard the same thing. Announcement tomorrow, and this will be Utah's last football season in the MWC, joining PAC a year earlier than I thought, 2011.

Link says 944,000, which doesn't add up to the amount of the three counties, so it's pretty obvious the link only mentions metro size and not TV market.

Utah is considered the better athletic institution than Boise, which is something the Pac-10 would want in a full fledged member.
Salt Lake's metro area is larger than 944 k. The figures listed are households in the entire tv market. If you look at that link, it says:
"US TV Households by Market"
and "The Spot TV map of the U.S. is a jigsaw puzzle with 210 pieces, but advertisers only need to pick as many pieces as is necessary for their marketing strategy. Here are all 210 pieces, ranked by the number of TV households in each market, with New York on top and Glendive bringing up the rear."
and "U.S. TV Household Estimates Designated Market Area (DMA) — Ranked by Households"

They just said on ESPN's breaking news ticker thing that the PAC10 has extended an invitation to the Utes to join the PAC10 and so it seems closer and closer to official.

I'm STILL not buying it until Utah is actually in the PAC 10. The arguments that occur over speculation and hearsay are mind boggling.

I don't blame you.
While it's possible my sources are wrong given their placement @ Utah I would be extremely extremely surprised. Two different sources that confirmed independent of each other.
But you're right they could be wrong. I guess we'll see in the next 12 hours or so.

BTW Duck...I live in Logan and I'd be willing to bet that there's more Utah fans up here than Aggie fans. Basketball is a little different.

Once Utah joins the Pac 12, I think I'll like the BCS the way it is. Don't let those smaller, inconsequential conferences participate.