What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

Expiring Kevin Love is a pretty good trade asset if it came to that next year. I'm not saying it's perfect or guaranteed to work, (and doesn't seem like a DL move anyway) but I don't see how giving hood $12-$15 million and 'some other big man' $10 million is a better option. What's a $10 million big man in today's NBA anyway? A bench player? I'll try to contain my excitement.

Good asset to have at draft time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we'd have to give more to get Love and that is part of my hesitation. I think the contract demands of a guy like Love might be higher than a guy like Mirotic. That might be dumb.

I just see Love as not much different in effectiveness as a guy like Niko and the cost to acquire and keep are less plus he's younger.

I see Love as the name brand stretch four... I think we can get away with a generic stretch four... or pay more for a dynamic playmaking stretch switchy four... Jabari, Gordon types.

One game sample size...

He is a good fit and would come at a fair price point.
No he a few games with Chicago before the trade too. He was amazing for a good stretch but I need to see a larger period of games before I get on the bandwagon.
We wouldn't exactly be mortgaging the future here. Favors and Hood may be gone anyway if we don't move them. Most people would happy with some picks in the 20's for them, but not an all star? Everyone being the same age is overrated. Love has played in three finals, and is a champion. Perfect vet to add, he's a shooter, his game will age fine. And 29 is not old! Get the all star and worry about the rest later.

It's a very unique opportunity for us, one we don't get very often (If that trade was even on the table).
Love didn't play that well when they won the championship. I am not a fan of getting Love because he is injured a lot and he cost too much.

Man Orlando honestly needs to find ways to get worse... Vucevic is about to return and they have been winning without Gordon and Nic. They go on another 8-4 run and they go from 4th to 8-9 and it is another wasted season not getting a top tier prospect.

I would call them every hour and see what they will give to get worse.

Locke mentioned Fav, Hood and JJ for Love.

If that is the price you almost have to do it... unless Hood and Fav can get draft assets. Love might be had for even cheaper in the offseason when lebron leaves.

Like who ??

#1 - This idea that we could get Love for Hood, Favors and JJ is just ridiculous. The Cavs would expect more. They have tanked since losing Love

#2 - Should we be able to get Love without using our first (highly doubtful), we would have to take one of their terrible contracts (JR or Tristan). It's not just going in on Love, it's taking a bad contract too.

#3 - If they trade Love, they might as well just tell LeBron goodbye right now. Trading Love for good role players (that's all Hood and Favors are right now) is a rebuild. Only trading Love for a McCollum or Kemba keeps LeBron's attention.

So no, we can do better than overpaying for a guy who doesn't fit the age timeline and is often injured. No thanks.

If that is the price you almost have to do it... unless Hood and Fav can get draft assets. Love might be had for even cheaper in the offseason when lebron leaves.
Problem with off-season is that we don't have as many contracts to trade and the cost has to be absorbed under the cap. I guess the trade could be Burks + the non-guaranteed contracts of Thabo and Jerebko. But Cleveland would prefer clearing Love's entire salary off the books. That's why Favs, JJ and Hood is so compelling right now for them.

Your argument has some logic behind it I think. Hood is slightly better in PnR and off the dribble this year. Fournier is a better spot up shooter, and has a higher assist %. I think Fournier plays to his strengths more than Rodney does, and his strengths would fit really well in this system more than Rodney's do. You could argue that Rodney is being asked to take tougher shots by the coaches and would be more efficient than Fournier in his role. But then you look at the spot up numbers and question whether or not more would help since rodney has much worse efficiency when spotting up. (1.23 PPP to 1.02 for Hood.)

The question is do you want a player that is a slightly better iso and PnR scorer (not great at either) or a player that is a much better spot up shooter and better distributor? You would have to believe that Hood is going to make another jump assuming they end up with a similar salary. On a team with Rubio, Mitchell, Exum (all slashing, setup guys to one degree or another) I think fournier is just a better fit than Hood unless Hood makes a Hayward-like leap. But taking role into account I can also understand why you might think Rodney would have a higher ceiling.

Anyway. I don't think your argument is ridiculous, but I think you would be betting too much on a player with a troubling injury history morphing in to a more effective iso and PnR scoring threat. Like I've said repeatedly I think Fournier fits in this offense like George Hill did. Or maybe more appropriately like Ingles with less of a conscience.
There isnt anything substantial that says Fournier is a better spot-up shooter from 3. He is better this year by 3% and Hood was better last year by 3%. They both hover in the 37-42 range every year on spot-up 3's, but Hood is much better off the dribble (Fournier has never shown any real ability to shoot an off the dribble 3).

Also, look at Fournier's 3pt shot data. He shoot 46% on wide open 3's, but drops off hard if someone is within 6 feet of him (to 32%). Hood maintains a high % w/ all kinds of defensive pressure. It literally doesnt matter if someone is guarding him. HOOD SHOOTS 46% ON THREE POINT SHOTS WITH A DEFENDER WITHIN 2-4 FEET. It's not a fluke either, it;s volume. 1.4 attempts per game are like that. You wont find many players in the NBA with that % or who even get off that many attempts per game with that coverage. The level of talent Hood has just far surpasses Fournier. It's a joke to think otherwise IMO.

Yes, I will take the guy with the more rare skill-set who has a higher ceiling.

This year Hood was asked to do a lot more on offense. No one thought it was going to go smoothly. We all anticipated bumps and growing pains, but the emergence of Donovan Mitchell in a way made us more impatient with Hood, because we no longer had to wait on that process. That doesn't make the process nonexistent though.

The only real argument for Fournier is health. The things Fournier has on Hood are pretty insignificant IMO and can be traced to role.

If they want Rubio in the deal...and send Thompson to us, I'd tell them the cost is the BKN pick. Cavs HAVE to make moves or Lebron is gone. Lindsey has to show them he's willing to just walk away from the table.

If Ricky is traded, then it means the Jazz are high on Exum and DM/Dante will be the starting backcourt.

#1 - This idea that we could get Love for Hood, Favors and JJ is just ridiculous. The Cavs would expect more. They have tanked since losing Love

#2 - Should we be able to get Love without using our first (highly doubtful), we would have to take one of their terrible contracts (JR or Tristan). It's not just going in on Love, it's taking a bad contract too.

#3 - If they trade Love, they might as well just tell LeBron goodbye right now. Trading Love for good role players (that's all Hood and Favors are right now) is a rebuild. Only trading Love for a McCollum or Kemba keeps LeBron's attention.

So no, we can do better than overpaying for a guy who doesn't fit the age timeline and is often injured. No thanks.

you didn't answer the question. Who can we actually get ??

Has anything meaningful besides the NY trade happened today? I'm too lazy to scroll through the thread.

Hood said that he expects to be traded. And Lou Will signed a contract extension with the Clippers. Other than that, not really.

Has anything meaningful besides the NY trade happened today? I'm too lazy to scroll through the thread.
il_340x270.1375468644_9vh7.jpg

you didn't answer the question. Who can we actually get ??

So let's assume we could get Love with one of the following two packages:

#1 - Hood, Favors, JJ and our 1st for Love
#2 - Hood, Favors, JJ, Thabo and some other draft consideration for Love and JR Smith

For #1, I would go with Fournier, Biyombo and Aaron Gordon OR Teletovic, Dellavadova and Jabari Parker rather than Love
For #2, I would go with Biyombo and Aaron Gordon (but we wouldn't have to trade Thabo)

Long story short, I would rather trade for Aaron Gordon or Jabari Parker than Love. And those guys are easier to get....

Could we do two separate trades for two first rounders for Favors and Hood? That would give us three firsts. Should be able to move up for whoever the jazz like in the draft. We could possibly have four studs. A rook Gobert DM and Exum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk