What's new

Utes Destroy Big12 Team, And Fall In Rankings!

7StraightIsGreat

So Utah goes to Big 12 country as 6 point favorites and post a 41 point victory yet somehow manage to slide 1 position in the AP Poll while seeing no movement in the Coaches Poll?

What a complete snub, but hopefully the team see's this a proof positive that respect has not yet been reached.

How do you think South Carolina feels being behind Alabama in the polls right now? Or Auburn, who is just 1 spot ahead of Alabama?

Determining the NC using this polling system is retarded... preseason polls need to be completely done away with and a playoff system needs to be implemented before the AP/coaches/bcs polls are worth any sort of merit.

Boise St. fans were upset last week. Now Ute fans this week.

Who leapfrogged them? Wasn't it SC? Shouldn't they? While Utah was beating some unranked team, SC defeated the #1 team in the nation and defending champs. That's the biggest win of the season... For anyone. They earned a huge boost in the polls after that dominating performance.

I'm just saying what many in the media believe.

All the teams except for Bama and S. Carolina are undefeated. So do you think the Utes should have leapfrogged another undefeated team? Who and why?

Think that the Utes should be ranked ahead of Bama or S. Carolina? Why or why not?

Do I think that the Utes are a lot better than their ranking? Yes. But I think everyone other than delusional homers Salty can understand the logic behind their ranking. No no, it's not one big huge conspiracy to hate on little ol Utah.

who have the Utes played? Perhaps if Pitt were having a better year Utah would be ranked higher? Perhaps if there weren't so many unbeatens still they'd be ranked higher? But just because you like the Utes doesn't mean that you should leapfrog other unbeaten teams.

Perhaps if they knock off TCU then they'll finally get the respect many of you believe they should have. Unfortunately, Ute fans, the Utes have been blowing out some pretty sweet high school teams. What some thought would be a tough out of conference game was a victory this year was against a train wreck Pitt team that doesn't even have a winning record. The best team you've played all year doesn't even have a winning record (Iowa St.). The second best team you've played has a losing record (Pitt). All the rest are garbage MWC teams amongst the worst teams in the entire nation!

Yet you feel like you should be ranked higher? LOL.... If anything, Nevada should be upset. They've played arguably just as "good" of competition as the Utes and still aren't even in the top 15.

Let the season take its course. Unbeaten teams will lose. Teams like SC will lose, no way they maintain this level of play. Relax.

If the Utes Beat TCU and still not increase in the polls then you can complain. Until then, relax, the teams ahead of you will lose. Just take care of business against TCU...

Last edited:
Boise St. fans were upset last week. Now Ute fans this week.

Who leapfrogged them? Wasn't it SC? Shouldn't they? While Utah was beating some unranked team, SC defeated the #1 team in the nation and defending champs. That's the biggest win of the season... For anyone. They earned a huge boost in the polls after that dominating performance.

I'm just saying what many in the media believe.

All the teams except for Bama and S. Carolina are undefeated. So do you think the Utes should have leapfrogged another undefeated team? Who and why?

Think that the Utes should be ranked ahead of Bama or S. Carolina? Why or why not?

Do I think that the Utes are a lot better than their ranking? Yes. But I think everyone other than delusional homers Salty can understand the logic behind their ranking. No no, it's not one big huge conspiracy to hate on little ol Utah.

who have the Utes played? Perhaps if Pitt were having a better year Utah would be ranked higher? Perhaps if there weren't so many unbeatens still they'd be ranked higher? But just because you like the Utes doesn't mean that you should leapfrog other unbeaten teams.

Perhaps if they knock off TCU then they'll finally get the respect many of you believe they should have. Unfortunately, Ute fans, the Utes have been blowing out some pretty sweet high school teams. Their lone "notable" victory this year was against a train wreck Pitt team that doesn't even have a winning record. They best team you've played all year doesn't even have a winning record (Iowa St.). The second best team you've played has a losing record (Pitt). All the rest are garbage MWC teams amongst the worst teams in the entire nation!

Yet you feel like you should be ranked higher? LOL....

Let the season take its course. Unbeaten teams will lose. Teams like SC will lose, no way they maintain this level of play. Relax.

If the Utes Beat TCU and still not increase in the polls then you can complain.

I'll probably get flamed by BYU fans, but I'll say it anyway because I feel it's the truth: Utah should be ahead of LSU and Auburn at this point. While both schools are undefeated at this point, they still look pretty shaky. LSU was on the verge of losing to a VERY BAD Tennessee team last week and was bailed out by an idiotic penalty by the Vol's on what should have been the last play of the game. Then last night they beat a Florida team in the final seconds that IMO has no business being anywhere near the Top 25. Auburn was lucky to escape last night against a Kentucky team that isn't all that great.

And to top it off, do you think that if Oklahoma beats Iowa State by 41 points next week that they'll fall in the polls? I think everybody knows that would never happen. Thriller, it's all fine and well to let the season play out and see where the chips fall, but as Ute fan, I'd like to see them move up when they DESERVE to move up in hopes that by the end of the season. At the end of 2004 and 2008, people around the nation finally realized that Utah could compete for a nation title in those respecitve years, but since it was so hard for them to move up in the polls, it never materialized. Maybe this Ute team is not good enough to run the table, but if they are it would be nice not to see them shut out of National Title talk for a 3rd straight time.

I know what many people are going to say: Relax, you're in the Pac12 next year and that will remove all doubt. While that may be true, it still doesn't mean Utah fans should look away in 2010 while yet another chance at a championship is lost by a flawed ranking system. Not only that, for 95% of college football programs, chances at National Titles down come along that often, even if you're in a AQ conference.

It's total bs that the Utes can go out on the road, beat a bcs team by over 40 points, beating the spread by over 30 points, and drop in the polls.

On the flip side, at least we know this is the last year that kind of crap will be happening to Utah.

Whitt should be voting Utah #1 every week just to make a statement.

Utah has just as much of an argument as any other undefeated team right now. Seriously, EVERY SINGLE undefeated team feels like they should be ranked higher than they are. Why shouldn't Nevada be ranked higher? Boise St? LSU? Every undefeated team has an argument to be ranked higher. The Utes are no different.

Those two 1 loss teams ahead of the Utes (Bama and SC) have legit arguments for being ranked ahead of many teams, including the Utes, as they've actually played a few Div I Football teams thus far(unlike the Utes, who have played a bunch of good HS teams).

In the end, the Utes just need to beat TCU and hope that some of those other undefeated teams ahead of them lose (which will happen). Unfortunately, if you want to complain, complain about the train wrecks known as Pitt, BYU, and Notre Dame. At the end of the season, the Utes might have only played 1 top 25 ranked team, TCU. Pathetic.

This whole situation will be largely solved with the upgrade of conference schedule that the Utes will receive when they enter the PAC-12.

I'll probably get flamed by BYU fans, but I'll say it anyway because I feel it's the truth: Utah should be ahead of LSU and Auburn at this point. While both schools are undefeated at this point, they still look pretty shaky. LSU was on the verge of losing to a VERY BAD Tennessee team last week and was bailed out by an idiotic penalty by the Vol's on what should have been the last play of the game. Then last night they beat a Florida team in the final seconds that IMO has no business being anywhere near the Top 25. Auburn was lucky to escape last night against a Kentucky team that isn't all that great.

And to top it off, do you think that if Oklahoma beats Iowa State by 41 points next week that they'll fall in the polls? I think everybody knows that would never happen. Thriller, it's all fine and well to let the season play out and see where the chips fall, but as Ute fan, I'd like to see them move up when they DESERVE to move up in hopes that by the end of the season. At the end of 2004 and 2008, people around the nation finally realized that Utah could compete for a nation title in those respecitve years, but since it was so hard for them to move up in the polls, it never materialized. Maybe this Ute team is not good enough to run the table, but if they are it would be nice not to see them shut out of National Title talk for a 3rd straight time.

I know what many people are going to say: Relax, you're in the Pac12 next year and that will remove all doubt. While that may be true, it still doesn't mean Utah fans should look away in 2010 while yet another chance at a championship is lost by a flawed ranking system. Not only that, for 95% of college football programs, chances at National Titles down come along that often, even if you're in a AQ conference.

I agree mostly with what you're saying.

Tenn and Florida aren't very good IMO. And they needed a lucky fake FG play to win the game. LSU hasn't looked very good, but they're just as undefeated as "U."

remember when Utah barely beat Pitt? You guys didn't care, as long as you got the W. Should you have won by more? yes. But you didn't. You got the W and that's all that matters.

Same thing happened a few years back when you beat Oregon St and TCU. You guys didn't care, as long as you got the W.

LSU and Auburn don't care, they're still undefeated.

Just win baby, just win.

Every single undefeated team has the exact same argument. They've beaten everyone on their schedule (thus far). Utah fans have no argument to be ranked ahead of Boise, LSU, or even Nevada right now.

I would agree, the Utes look far better than most of the teams that are ranked ahead of them (other than maybe Oregon). But I just don't see how you can argue right now that they should be ranked higher when those undefeated teams ahead of them are just as "undefeated" as the Utes.

I'm not saying I agree with this logic, but that's what those in the media believe. It's like this every year. And will continue to be like this until we get rid of this system.

It's total bs that the Utes can go out on the road, beat a bcs team by over 40 points, beating the spread by over 30 points, and drop in the polls.

On the flip side, at least we know this is the last year that kind of crap will be happening to Utah.

Whitt should be voting Utah #1 every week just to make a statement.

Being a BCS team is different than being in a BCS conference. At least in my view. Washington State then is technically a BCS team and they probably couldn't even beat Snow College.

In my view, BCS teams are those who are annually finishing at or near the top of their respective BCS conferences. they routinely finish in the top 15.

Iowa St is what... 3-3?

Impressive showing for the Utes. Scoring 70 points is awesome against anyone. But lets not confuse Iowa St with Texas, Nebraska, or OU.

College football is a joke and is a all about money and politics. Have fun going 12-0 and never seeing a playoff or a championship game.

Being a BCS team is different than being in a BCS conference. At least in my view. Washington State then is technically a BCS team and they probably couldn't even beat Snow College.

In my view, BCS teams are those who are annually finishing at or near the top of their respective BCS conferences. they routinely finish in the top 15.

Iowa St is what... 3-3?

Impressive showing for the Utes. Scoring 70 points is awesome against anyone. But lets not confuse Iowa St with Texas, Nebraska, or OU.

At the same time, who says any of those teams are so great? The SEC has 5 teams in the top 12. Those 5 teams have a combined 1 win against an out of conference team that is ranked. And that one win is against 25th ranked West Virginia.

So, basically, they are great because we say they are. They haven't beat anybody but each other.

It will be good when Utah is in that good ole boys' club next year.

Auburn barely won by 3 points as time expired against a 3-3 team and that moved them up in the polls. Utah won by over 40 against a 3-3 team and dropped. It's BS no matter how you slice it.

Last edited:
At the same time, who says any of those teams are so great? The SEC has 5 teams in the top 12. Those 5 teams have a combined 1 win against an out of conference team that is ranked. And that one win is against 25th ranked West Virginia.

So, basically, they are great because we say they are. They haven't beat anybody but each other.

It will be good when Utah is in that good ole boys' club next year.

Auburn barely won by 3 points as time expired against a 3-3 team and that moved them up in the polls. Utah won by over 40 against a 3-3 team and dropped. It's BS no matter how you slice it.

I agree.

And it's necessarily that they're great because "we" say they are.

They're great because of name... Because preseason polls actually count in this sport.... Because a bunch of east coast biased morons who predicted Utah to be routed by Pitt and Bama think so.

If preseason polls actually counted, how many times would Dallas, Cleveland, Denver, and Portland have won the NBA title?

If preseason polls actually counted, the Chargers would have been NFL champions for about the last decade.

I think a big problem are these dumbass preseason polls. The bigwigs need to just keep from screwing up. While the little guys need to scratch and claw for anything... Even after going undefeated, they aren't guaranteed anything...

I agree.

They're great because of name... Because preseason polls actually count in this sport.... Because a bunch of east coast biased morons who predicted Utah to be routed by Pitt and Bama think so.

If preseason polls actually counted, how many times would Dallas, Cleveland, Denver, and Portland have won the NBA title?

If preseason polls actually counted, the Chargers would have been NFL champions for about the last decade.

I think a big problem are these dumbass preseason polls. The bigwigs need to just keep from screwing up. While the little guys need to scratch and claw for anything... Even after going undefeated, they aren't guaranteed anything...
Preseason polls are garbage, no doubt about it. But there is more to it that than. Utah actually dropped after a 41 point road win against a BCS team that had a winning record before the game started. Teams that have a loss and haven't beat any ranked out of conference opponents are ahead of undefeated teams.

The whole argument against a playoff is "the regular season means so much we can't compromise it with a playoff." Well then, why the heck are there undefeated teams behind teams with a loss in the polls?

It's a crap system. I'm just glad the Utes will be on the other side of it starting next year.

Iowa State may not be the best team out there, but they are the same Iowa State team that the rest of the Big 12 will be playing. Lets see if any of those Big 12 teams beat them by 41 on the road and drop in the polls.

Those two 1 loss teams ahead of the Utes (Bama and SC) have legit arguments for being ranked ahead of many teams, including the Utes, as they've actually played a few Div I Football teams thus far(unlike the Utes, who have played a bunch of good HS teams).

Who has bama beaten. A weak florida team and whom else? S. Carolina beat Alabama but also lost elsewhere. Maybe Bama is just not all that good? Neither of those teams have proven all that much more than Utah. The difference is they play in the SEC which is not as good as usual but national coaches and writers don't care.

Utah has played a bunch of cupcakes but were supposed to be challenged this week. Guess what it was no challenge at all.

Utah should be ranked higher than the teams that have not won all of their games. Especially the way alabama lost to a team that is also not undefeated.

I agree.

It's not just the preseason polls. All of the polls are a farce. I have maintained that if it is judged then it is not a sport. I'm starting to wonder if college football is a real sport because the NC seems to be decided by judges and not on the field.

Who has bama beaten. A weak florida team and whom else? S. Carolina beat Alabama but also lost elsewhere. Maybe Bama is just not all that good? Neither of those teams have proven all that much more than Utah. The difference is they play in the SEC which is not as good as usual but national coaches and writers don't care.

Utah has played a bunch of cupcakes but were supposed to be challenged this week. Guess what it was no challenge at all.

Utah should be ranked higher than the teams that have not won all of their games. Especially the way alabama lost to a team that is also not undefeated.

Bama beat a very good Arkansas team.

Bama beat a very good Arkansas team.

Arkansas is in their conference, I believe. So like somebody else pointed out whom have they beaten outside of their conference that shows that they are any good? Granted Arkansas looked good. But it took a tremendous come back and having Arkansas completely fall on their faces in the 2nd half to beat them.

I think they should just continue to play football games until a team loses. that way there is a clear number 1 team in the nation. take all the undefeateds at the end of the year pair them up and start watching them fall.

I'd be interested in that system.

No one should beat a team by multiple touchdowns and not fall in the polls. To be fair, Utah hasn't really played the kinds of teams other schools do, its just a fact of life. That will change next year and we'll see if they can roll with the big boys.