What's new

Utes Destroy Big12 Team, And Fall In Rankings!

Bama beat a very good Arkansas team.

Arkansas is in their conference, I believe. So like somebody else pointed out whom have they beaten outside of their conference that shows that they are any good? Granted Arkansas looked good. But it took a tremendous come back and having Arkansas completely fall on their faces in the 2nd half to beat them.

How do we know Arkansas is any good? Who have they beaten? They have played a total of 1 ranked team (Alabama) and lost.

That is the whole thing- everyone says the SEC is good because they beat each other. They haven't proven they are any good. In fact, LSU looks pretty crappy. I would take Utah over them all day. yet, they actually moved up after barely winning by 3 points on a last second field goal over another mediocre team- after getting bailed out by the refs on what should have been an illegal forward pass.

I don't buy it. I haven't seen anything about any of those SEC teams to make me think they are better than Utah this year. I could understand giving Alabama the benefit of the doubt since they won the championship last year and were undefeated this year. But once they lost to a mediocre team they should have fell below Utah for sure.

I just don't see how it's possible to have 2 teams in the top 10 lose, and the 10th ranked team wins on the road, against a BCS school with a winning record (at the time), by over 40 points, and still drops in the polls. And it's even worse when there are 2 teams that have a loss in front of said undefeated team.

You'd think Utah would at least get some "benefit of the doubt" points for getting shafted out of the championship year before last.

How do we know Utah is any good? All you have to hang your hat on so far is that they beat a couple of BCS schools. As you're so fond of pointing out, BCS schools can suck too. BYU beat Washington. Clearly that makes BYU awesome, right?

Utah has beaten a couple of sucky BCS schools... that automatically makes them top 5? Keep your homerism in check for a few more games before you declare the Utes as a viable NCG contender.

How do we know Utah is any good?

I think the point is we know they are good based on their performance on the field. You don't blow teams out like we've been doing at a college football level if you aren't good. But are we great? That won't be answered until we play the likes of Air Force and TCU.

I think the point is we know they are good based on their performance on the field. You don't blow teams out like we've been doing at a college football level if you aren't good. But are we great? That won't be answered until we play the likes of Air Force and TCU.

I have no argument that Utah is at least good. Utah fans bitching because they dropped a point after blowing out a bunch of crappy teams... that's homerism. I agree, let's at least wait until they face AF and especially TCU.

Honestly beating Iowa State doesn't mean anything, they're one of the worst teams in the Big 12 with ONE good game every year against a team that is better than them.

How do we know Utah is any good? All you have to hang your hat on so far is that they beat a couple of BCS schools. As you're so fond of pointing out, BCS schools can suck too. BYU beat Washington. Clearly that makes BYU awesome, right?

Utah has beaten a couple of sucky BCS schools... that automatically makes them top 5? Keep your homerism in check for a few more games before you declare the Utes as a viable NCG contender.

At least they have won their games though. South Carolina and Alabama have both lost and are ranked higher. Again it's not homerism to call a pathetically flawed system what it is. There are undefeated teams behind Utah that should also be ranked higher than Alabama and South Carolina. Hell Alabama lost to South Carolina and they are ranked AHEAD of them. How bad is a system in which you beat a team by 2 TD's and are still ranked behind them right after the game.

Bottom line is college football is a joke and they need to fix it. I hope that the suits against the BCS pass and that it disappears and this farce of a NC is demolished. College football has never in it's history crowned a real champion and that's a shame.

Hell the way college football works why bother to play the games at all. The only teams with a shot at the title are already decided before the season ever starts. Even when they lose to Mississippi state they are apparently better than an undefeated team that trumped your win over the same team.

If BYU was undefeated and just beat Washington by over 40 points at Washington, then I would say it's pretty ridiculous to drop them in the polls. Especially if 2 teams in front of BYU lost that week, and 2 others barely squeaked out victories with last second field goals.

Like I said- everyone else in the Big 12 has to play Iowa State too. Lets see if any of them beat them by 41 points, on the road, and then drop in the polls. We all know that isn't going to happen.

If BYU was undefeated and just beat Washington by over 40 points at Washington, then I would say it's pretty ridiculous to drop them in the polls. Especially if 2 teams in front of BYU lost that week, and others barely squeaked out victories with last second field goals.

Like I said- everyone else in the Big 12 has to play Iowa State too. Lets see if any of them beat them by 41 points, on the road, and then drop in the polls. We all know that isn't going to happen.

As opposed to barely beating Pitt in overtime?

We have moved on from the dumb mistakes we made vs. Pitt. It was a learning experience, look how far Shaky has come since that game.

As opposed to barely beating Pitt in overtime?
Beating Pitt in OT was a long time ago. That was the first game of the season. Of course there was some rust there. The only reason that game was close is because of several (Shaky Smithson's) unforced turnovers.

If that Pitt game happened this week, then you'd have a point. But the Utes did not just barely beat Pitt in OT. The just barely smashed Iowa State by 41 points. And they dropped in the polls afterwards.

We'll see if your feelings on this change next year when BYU is dropping in the polls after wins, and Utah is the one still ranked high even after a loss to a mediocre team. Heck, it will be even funnier if BYU beats Utah and then later in the season a one loss Utah team is ranked ahead of an undefeated BYU team.

Since when is barely beating Pitt in OT worse than losing to South Carolina, losing to Auburn, or losing to Alabama?

Beating Pitt in OT was a long time ago. That was the first game of the season. Of course there was some rust there. The only reason that game was close is because of several (Shaky Smithson's) unforced turnovers.

If that Pitt game happened this week, then you'd have a point. But the Utes did not just barely beat Pitt in OT. The just barely smashed Iowa State by 41 points. And they dropped in the polls afterwards.
You can say this all you want, but the worse Pitt looks, the worse it is for Utah. Barely beating ta team with a losing record in OT at home (no matter when it happens), simply does not look good to anybody who follows the game. And the people who vote follow the game.

You can say this all you want, but the worse Pitt looks, the worse it is for Utah. Barely beating ta team with a losing record in OT at home (no matter when it happens), simply does not look good to anybody who follows the game. And the people who vote follow the game.

You can say all you want, but it won't matter if the Utes run the table. Beating Air Force, TCU, and Notre Dame will overshadow beating a mediocre Pitt team in OT and a schedule of cupcakes. Has their schedule been good? No, but the team has and they're only getting better. I would go so far to say that this is the best all around team the Utes have had. If they go undefeated, that remains to be seen.

And yet it didn't seem to hurt LSU. Or don't you remember that LSU just barely beat Tennessee by 2 points on a play that happened after time had already expired and the game was over (week before last). The teams were already leaving when Tennessee won the game and the refs called them back onto the field because of a penalty. And Pitt has a better record than Tennessee.

Yet, LSU moved up this week after another close, last second win against a mediocre team.

Oklahoma has been close in almost every game, including such powerhouses as Utah State and Cincinnati. Lets see if they beat Iowa State by 41 on the road and then move down. Actually, they play Iowa State at home this week. Lets see if they can even beat them by 41 at home, and if they move down in the polls afterwards.

Auburn has several close wins too, including games against Mississippi State, Clemson, and Kentucky. None of those teams are any good, and all of those games were decided by 3 points- the Clemson game in OT.

Last edited:
LSU, Auburn, Alabama all have to play each other still. Utes have to go undefeated, like always, to get any hint of national respect. That would have to include beating an undefeated TCU team also to have a chance to get into the top 5.

LSU, Auburn, Alabama all have to play each other still. Utes have to go undefeated, like always, to get any hint of national respect. That would have to include beating an undefeated TCU team also to have a chance to get into the top 5.
The problem is, those guys aren't dropping out of the top 10 when they beat each other. Alabama is still in the top 10 after losing, and South Carolina is in the top 10 with a loss as well. Arkansas is 12th, and they have a loss too.

It's such a sham that the SEC is considered so good that they don't have to prove it anymore. They haven't beat anyone but each other. And when they lose to each other, it doesn't drop them much because it's considered to be an elite team beating them. But teams like the Utes can finish as the only undefeated team in the nation and not win the championship- even though they blow out the SEC team that was ranked #1 all year in the BCS game.

Oklahoma got 2 #1 votes this week. The same Oklahoma team that was on the verge of losing to Cincinnati a couple weeks ago before escaping with a 2 point win.

The system is such a sham. Utah blows these bad teams out and everyone says they haven't played anybody. Auburn, LSU, and Oklahoma barely squeak by crappy teams and they move up in the polls.

The problem is, those guys aren't dropping out of the top 10 when they beat each other. Alabama is still in the top 10 after losing, and South Carolina is in the top 10 with a loss as well. Arkansas is 12th, and they have a loss too.

It's such a sham that the SEC is considered so good that they don't have to prove it anymore. They haven't beat anyone but each other. And when they lose to each other, it doesn't drop them much because it's considered to be an elite team beating them. But teams like the Utes can finish as the only undefeated team in the nation and not win the championship- even though they blow out the SEC team that was ranked #1 all year in the BCS game.

Oklahoma got 2 #1 votes this week. The same Oklahoma team that was on the verge of losing to Cincinnati a couple weeks ago before escaping with a 2 point win.

The system is such a sham. Utah blows these bad teams out and everyone says they haven't played anybody. Auburn, LSU, and Oklahoma barely squeak by crappy teams and they move up in the polls.

The SEC teams hardly ever come West to play anyone. LSU, ALA, AUB, the furthest west they will play (besides a bowl game) is Arkansas.

Alabama lost early in the season too. If they win out from here they would easily trump TCU,BSU or UTAH.

I am not surprised really at all, I thought they'd stay the same not move up or down, but I don't think any team ranked #1 dropped out of the top 10 after a loss, I do think SC should be ranked a head of them and after Stanford beat USC I figured they'd jump the U as well. Just the way the week went the teams close behind the U beat teams that are ranked or nationally respected and again we all should know from history that there wasn't a chance in heck Bama was dropping out of the top 10.
Still early in the season for the U to keep proving themselves and a few teams in front will lose so I'm not upset yet and am willing to let the season play out, what I do hope is even though I know coach Whitt and the players say they don't pay attention that this does get whispered around and let them use it as motivational fuel. I am WAY nervous about the AF, ND and especially TCU games those will be the games that will move the U up in rankings.