What's new

Video Game Thread

Anybody else just absolutely hate momentum killers in games? For instance, 3 examples of games I've played over the past few months:

Assassin's Creed Black Flag: First Assassins game I've ever played. Perfect game....I'm absolutely eating up the pirate theme. Eating up the stealth aspects. Then about 8 hours in you come to this point where you have to fight a fortress + a giant ship while sailing and it just absolutely kicks your *** if you haven't been doing a bunch of side quests to earn money, and raiding ships/finding supplies, and upgrading your boat a lot up until that point. So I would've had to spend 5 or 6 more hours playing that game just to side quest enough to have the money to buy the upgrades necessary to take down the ship/fortress. Not happening. The side quests weren't fun enough to justify that.

Super Mario 3D World: Fun game, easy game, you collect stars along the way - which I did as long as it was fun and I didn't have to really go out of my way to chase them down. But by the end of the game, you need 150 stars to get into the last castle. I had 100. It would have taken 3 or 4 hours to go back and collect the required amount. Not happening.

Rayman Legends. Kind of fun, would've been worth playing through, but same thing as Mario, you collect little creatures along your way and the levels remain locked unless want to spend hours collecting ****. Only got about 1/3 of the way through that one before the collecting become onerous. Not happening.

Last edited:
Anybody else just absolutely hate momentum killers in games? For instance, 3 examples of games I've played over the past few months:

Assassin's Creed Black Flag: First Assassins game I've ever played. Perfect game....I'm absolutely eating up the pirate theme. Eating up the stealth aspects. Then about 8 hours in you come to this point where you have to fight a fortress + a giant ship while sailing and it just absolutely kicks your *** if you haven't been doing a bunch of side quests to earn money, and raiding ships/finding supplies, and upgrading your boat a lot up until that point. So I would've had to spend 5 or 6 more hours playing that game just to side quest enough to have the money to buy the upgrades necessary to take down the ship/fortress. Not happening. The side quests weren't fun enough to justify that.

Super Mario 3D World: Fun game, easy game, you collect stars along the way - which I did as long as it was fun and I didn't have to really go out of my way to chase them down. But by the end of the game, you need 150 stars to get into the last castle. I had 100. It would have taken 3 or 4 hours to go back and collect the required amount. Not happening.

Rayman Legends. Kind of fun, would've been worth playing through, but same thing as Mario, you collect little creatures along your way and the levels remain locked unless want to spend hours collecting ****. Only got about 1/3 of the way through that one before the collecting become onerous. Not happening.
Where great games are concerned I tend to be a completionist / compulsive side-quester. So those type of things tend not to bother me. For example, I haven't played AC Black Flag yet, but I can almost guarantee I would've done all the sidequests I could've done already at that point. I just habitually do all the sidequests before the main content. Well... in every game except the Elder Scrolls games. Those are all pretty much big collections of sidequests. Can't even fathom trying to do every single one of them.

What *does* annoy me is games where very important items are missable. I played and loved the heck out of Dark Cloud 2 many years ago, and I got to this boss fight that came right before you entered the last dungeon. Turns out I'd missed components of really key weapons, without which it was practically impossible to beat the boss. I gave up. Much as I love the game, I didn't feel like starting fresh. I'd already dumped over 100 hours into the game.

Metroid Prime for Gamecube was the worst about this. You had to do so much backtracking in that game. Great game doe.

Metroid Prime for Gamecube was the worst about this. You had to do so much backtracking in that game. Great game doe.

Yeah, that's a great game. One of my all-time favorites. I think the difference is that was actually done in the flow of the game . These other games don't even hint that you're going to run into a brick wall. They let you get by with moderate collecting....none of the battles are that hard....and then tell you that you're an idiot for not being more thorough via you running into an impossible situation. Assasins Creed's world is just giant. It's a pain the *** to get around even with a quick travel feature they have the game. I just wish they would've put an obstacle early in the game that made it obvious that I should be doing a few side quests along the way, even if I didn't enjoy them. 15 minutes of crap, for every 1 hour of goodness, would've worked....but building up a crap debt....then going back for hours and hours of crap....

I'm glad I have Gamefly. If I would've paid $50 for the games....I might have just forced myself to complete them.

15 minutes of crap, for every 1 hour of goodness, would've worked....but building up a crap debt....then going back for hours and hours of crap....

Love the way you put that

From the makers of Bastion comes Transistor, out this Tuesday the 20th on Steam and PS4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT55lch6y_U

One of the best game trailers I've seen in quite some time. I loved the music (I may just have to buy the soundtrack), and the art was fantastic. And the gameplay itself looks really fun, original, and interesting (although they don't show much of the gameplay in this trailer). There's certainly a lot of buzz around this game. I'm sure I'll be buying Transistor at some point, although I think I may wait until I can get it for PS4. I like playing game on my big-*** TV when I can rather than my computer screen.

2 of the best computer strategy games ever released are on mega sale right now:

Crusader Kings 2 with a boatload of DLC is available for $20 (valued at over $100) (Could be the best game ever made.)
Europa Universalis 4 for $9.99

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

I think it is today only though. . .

2 of the best computer strategy games ever released are on mega sale right now:

Crusader Kings 2 with a boatload of DLC is available for $20 (valued at over $100) (Could be the best game ever made.)
Europa Universalis 4 for $9.99

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

I think it is today only though. . .

I can vouch that Crusader Kings II is awesome.

I would also strongly suggest picking up Rogue Legacy. Very old school, fun as hell. Can't go wrong for five bucks.

Crusader Kings 2 is awesome. At first I was arranging marriages like I was crazy.

So I'm a soccer...neutral/borderline hater....but I saw Pro Evo for a $1 at Gamestop and had to pick it up. Been having a lot of fun with that. I might have go buy that table tennis game and everything now. I think I forget sometimes that just because I don't particularly like the sport in real life, doesn't mean the video games can't be fun. And when you're not a huge fan, it doesn't matter if the rosters aren't updated or anything so you're good with the $1, 3 year old version.

I've noticed the same thing. I played the heck out of Mario 3D World and I hit a tipping point where collecting the stars was no longer enjoyable. After not playing it for a couple months I picked it back up to finish it and had a much better time. I think when we overplay a game while trying to complete all the objectives it will become dull. We constantly see new levels, puzzles, bad guys, etc, and then trying to repeat levels to gain 100% completion isn't fun anymore. I think if you wait awhile you'll find it enjoyable again.

Glad you mentioned Assassins Creed Black Flag, I need to pick that one up.

Do you have it pre-ordered? I'm so pumped to play it in HD.

Yup. Have to own that one from day 1. It's too accessible not to. There aren't many games where you can jump online for a quick half hour and have it be a brilliant experience. Or that girls that have no interest in video games will play with you. Or family members. etc. It's always nice to have around.

Anyone know anything about Killer is Dead? It seems Animesque and I have seen very very mixed thoughts on the game.

Couldn't finish Bastion so I will play it then Child of Light and Transistor.

Also didn't finish yet but I am enjoying Mark of the Ninja very much.