What's new

We Got Swindled by Sexton (And Eddie Zero Sucks)

Idk why such the overall reaction on this. I thought y'all wanted the team to be bad and now you're complaining that Sexton is bad? Isn't this good news and sets us up for a very good pick in the next draft? Maybe I am stupid, but this is good news to me...

He's making 16 mil this season which is roleplayer money. It might be MLE money in a few years. Even if he doesn't pan out as a starter he will be a 6th man somewhere.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt after missing 71 games last year coming off meniscus surgery. I'll agree he's looked super tentative in the first few preseason games with the emphasis on preseason here. It's also up to Coach Hardy to give him a role where he can be successful. So far the starting guards have changed every game. I think the lack of another game manager is going to hurt him too. Even Cav fans that loved him said his best role was playing off a big 6'-8" playmaker type which is why Dallas wanted him this offseason to replace Brunson.

Cavs gave up 3 unprotected FRP's and 2 swaps which is ultimately why Danny made that deal.
I imagine Sexton and Lauri could be flipped for additional draft capital at some point too.

Hard to believe that he suddenly is just a totally mediocre player, but maybe that’s the case.

Either way, a Knicks deal would’ve been better. No one can convince me otherwise.

I wasn’t around much when the Mitchell trade went down…but I did notice a lot of people taking victory laps and making fun of Knicks because we duped them.

I’m not 100% sure on the reported Knicks offer, but from what I understood the Knicks offer was better. I agree with you on that. I would go as far as to say the Heat deal that was discussed was better.

I think there was a lot of “in Danny we trust” type of stuff going on…but some didn’t stop and realize we didn’t get an amazing haul for Mitchell. Then some questionable follow up deals happened along with the realization that this team won’t actually be a bottom feeder. I think we’re starting to see that this glorious tank isn’t what we had hoped. No premium prospects, no premium picks acquired. There’s a chance Ochai Agbaji is the highest draft pick we acquired from Mitchell+Gobert combined.

Ooof.

I know it's early and the whole return from injury thing, but I see low IQ and game feel written all over Sexton. I think the Jazz are going to try and develop him, but it might be one of those things were we take away what makes him a potentially useful player and we just neuter his game down to being a completely average backup point guard.

Have you ever seen a defender so bad who actually tries, but has no concept of team defense and any capable offensive player can get space on him with any move?

We should probably just tell him to play his score first game, hope some team falls for it, and trade him ASAP for any kind of pick compensation we can get. That contract is looking like a massive overpay at this point. He's probably an 8 million dollar a year player from what I've seen on the court (and that's being generous if he can return back to his score first combo guard mentality instead of trying to expand his game).
You apparently missed the Sixers/Cavs clash Monday night. Total Mitchell first half embarrassment, backup LeVert ate his lunch in every possible category. And, Mitchell has lost a step - can’t blow by anybody anymore. It’s the Cavs that should be feeling a$$ hurt, not us.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ETo-kenTgS4

Nobody will be able to judge this trade until the picks are determined. I have serious doubt if that short Garland/Mitchell backcourt will work long term. Allen has come back to reality and looked really slow and out of shape this offseason. Mobley has a high ceiling but is already hurt. They don't have any 2 way wings on their roster. Honestly don't think this Cav squad is a slam dunk to be any kind of dynasty. Those Knicks are always a treadmill teams so there's no guarantee their 2 unprotected picks will be any better than Cleveland's by the end of this decade.

As far as Sexton is concerned just look at how Lonzo Ball is struggling to come back from the same type of meniscus injury. Sexton obviously passed the physical but give the kid a minute to work things out after surgery. As an athlete knee surgeries can be a scary thing psychologically to recover from.

The Cavs looked better with Marky last season and a turnstyle of Sexton replacements after his injury than they do right now with Don. I guess Spidy is terrible lol.
Sexton is going to need time to get used to changing to a more on ball roile again after being used off ball mostly next to DG the PG in the previous season. I was pretty impressed with his ability to make clutch shots and be highly efficient in his shot selection. Never been a fan of him playing defense though, I assume the low IQ take is probably innacurate though year 5 in the league.

Nobody will be able to judge this trade until the picks are determined. I have serious doubt if that short Garland/Mitchell backcourt will work long term. Allen has come back to reality and looked really slow and out of shape this offseason. Mobley has a high ceiling but is already hurt. They don't have any 2 way wings on their roster. Honestly don't think this Cav squad is a slam dunk to be any kind of dynasty. Those Knicks are always a treadmill teams so there's no guarantee their 2 unprotected picks will be any better than Cleveland's by the end of this decade.

As far as Sexton is concerned just look at how Lonzo Ball is struggling to come back from the same type of meniscus injury. Sexton obviously passed the physical but give the kid a minute to work things out after surgery. As an athlete knee surgeries can be a scary thing psychologically to recover from.
Yep the biggest win for the Jazz was grabbing Ochai over say Levert or Okoro. I am not sold Danny was ever planning on keeping Sexton around long term anyway, but I doubt Sexton cared anyway since his options were bad to get paid that much coming off injury. I bet Sexton is hoping to be traded before he has more than a cup of coffee here, if this coach is intetionally setting him up to fail.

I mean they offered 2 unprotected picks and no swaps. I'm not sure why that is better for our future.

You conveniently left out the top-5 protected 1st and 2 other protected 1sts plus Barrett/Quickley.

You conveniently left out the top-5 protected 1st and 2 other protected 1sts plus Barrett/Quickley.
The Cleveland deal depends on Ochai and where the picks land. Don wouldn't have left NY and I think they would still be middle of the pack type of team. Cleveland has a higher ceiling but depends on Don staying or what they get in a trade for him, as well as Mobley's health (the unicorn types like him tend to have a hard time staying healthy).

Sexton/Lauri < RJ/IQ but we need to see consistency on RJ's development before we make huge judgements. He wasn't a sure thing type of bet, but I'd prefer that player type/position... so it was a bet I'd like to have made.

Sexton is going to need time to get used to changing to a more on ball roile again after being used off ball mostly next to DG the PG in the previous season.
Sexton didn't actually play that much with DG last season (in the 11 matches), mostly next to Rubio. And Rubio is a floor-general, everybody (even Sexton) stands in attention and listen when he tells people what they should do.

Sexton needs a Rubio style PG next to him (big, good defender, floor general respected by all), otherwise he has a history of being rather meh (if winning basketball is the gauge).

Sexton didn't actually play that much with DG last season (in the 11 matches), mostly next to Rubio. And Rubio is a floor-general, everybody (even Sexton) stands in attention and listen when he tells people what they should do.

Sexton needs a Rubio style PG next to him (big, good defender, floor general respected by all), otherwise he has a history of being rather meh (if winning basketball is the gauge).
I was referencing Collin in the previous season not last season when he did not play more than a couple weeks. He can do great off ball or on ball imo. He is undersized to be a good defender outside of against other pg's so at his salary they better be planning on using him at the pg spot in the starting 5. If not he is going to be a 6th man, but it won't be on this roster, not at that salary.
He will never be a major liability defensively if he is at the 1. Or if the Jazz bring in a high level defender to join him likE Agbaji could become

You apparently missed the Sixers/Cavs clash Monday night. Total Mitchell first half embarrassment, backup LeVert ate his lunch in every possible category. And, Mitchell has lost a step - can’t blow by anybody anymore. It’s the Cavs that should be feeling a$$ hurt, not us.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ETo-kenTgS4

Ehh, Mitchell has a proven track record. I doubt he just got worse. No Gobert may hurt his overall efficiency more than the general publc may realize, but he is still going to be a top tier scorer.

I wasn’t around much when the Mitchell trade went down…but I did notice a lot of people taking victory laps and making fun of Knicks because we duped them.

I’m not 100% sure on the reported Knicks offer, but from what I understood the Knicks offer was better. I agree with you on that. I would go as far as to say the Heat deal that was discussed was better.

I think there was a lot of “in Danny we trust” type of stuff going on…but some didn’t stop and realize we didn’t get an amazing haul for Mitchell. Then some questionable follow up deals happened along with the realization that this team won’t actually be a bottom feeder. I think we’re starting to see that this glorious tank isn’t what we had hoped. No premium prospects, no premium picks acquired. There’s a chance Ochai Agbaji is the highest draft pick we acquired from Mitchell+Gobert combined.
IMO it's equally preposterous people taking victory laps/bemoaning Ainge's choices over pre-season games, when the pieces with the highest value the Jazz got from those trades are not due for 5-7 more years... and again... we are talking about two PRE-SEASON games of the tangible pieces we actually got/missed on.

Sexton might be the savior we need. Putting in a season like he did in 20-21 where he played 35 MPG of tank commanding goodness would be great....but Will Hardy probably won't let him do it.
He might be ok with that this season since he is coming off injury and already got paid. Given the team around him might need a more seasoned playmaker to run an offense, if they want to lose though trying to run an offense with a guy who needs to get better at it, and a team that needs to become something is far more likely to be the ticket to lottery odds, even though lottery odds mean a lot less than in the past now with lady luck in play more and more