What's new

We Got Swindled by Sexton (And Eddie Zero Sucks)

Ehh, Mitchell has a proven track record. I doubt he just got worse. No Gobert may hurt his overall efficiency more than the general publc may realize, but he is still going to be a top tier scorer.
He doesn’t get to the rim as easily as he used to, at least that’s my take. Out of him Garland and LeVert, he’s definitely the worst mover IMO.

And what are you basing your assessment of Sexton?
I'm just giving my initial thoughts on Sexton and I self-admitted that it's early. It's also more of a comment on his playstyle and overall feel, not the results of his play.

He hasnt proven anything in the NBA. He's fighting for minutes. The way he approaches a pre-season vs how Donovan does should be completely different. Donovan has hundreds of high level performances in games that matter. Sexton might have 0. I think judging Sexton's pre-season games is a lot more valid than Donovan's

IMO it's equally preposterous people taking victory laps/bemoaning Ainge's choices over pre-season games, when the pieces with the highest value the Jazz got from those trades are not due for 5-7 more years... and again... we are talking about two PRE-SEASON games of the tangible pieces we actually got/missed on.

Yeah that's fair. To my earlier point, people actually thought Sexton was good in the first place? We didn't need a preseason game to know that haha. Collin Sexton has played a lot of basketball, and he's never been a good/winning player to begin with. If someone thought the trade was good because Sexton is a cheaper but similar version of Mitchell....that was a misevaluation. It's like "insert tall guy" is a more cost efficient version of Gobert.

I'm just giving my initial thoughts on Sexton and I self-admitted that it's early. It's also more of a comment on his playstyle and overall feel, not the results of his play.

He hasnt proven anything in the NBA. He's fighting for minutes. The way he approaches a pre-season vs how Donovan does should be completely different. Donovan has hundreds of high level performances in games that matter. Sexton might have 0. I think judging Sexton's pre-season games is a lot more valid than Donovan's
I could come back with the question of how many game winners Mitchell has made vs missed and Sexton’s miraculous 3 on 5 game in college but it wouldn’t change your thinking.

Truthfully though I was reacting more to your insinuation of the trade “Swindled by Sexton”. Sexton doesn’t even have to be a huge success for us to declare a net positive on that deal with Laurie, Agbaji and the picks and swaps. Cleveland on the other hand…. I mean there’s a reason GM’s hate Danny and the Jazz - and it’s not because he takes it up the a$$.

The Cleveland deal depends on Ochai and where the picks land. Don wouldn't have left NY and I think they would still be middle of the pack type of team. Cleveland has a higher ceiling but depends on Don staying or what they get in a trade for him, as well as Mobley's health (the unicorn types like him tend to have a hard time staying healthy).

Sexton/Lauri < RJ/IQ but we need to see consistency on RJ's development before we make huge judgements. He wasn't a sure thing type of bet, but I'd prefer that player type/position... so it was a bet I'd like to have made.

I've been vocally low on RJ...but I like RJ's chances of being a star over the CLE 2029 pick tbh.

Yeah that's fair. To my earlier point, people actually thought Sexton was good in the first place? We didn't need a preseason game to know that haha. Collin Sexton has played a lot of basketball, and he's never been a good/winning player to begin with. If someone thought the trade was good because Sexton is a cheaper but similar version of Mitchell....that was a misevaluation. It's like "insert tall guy" is a more cost efficient version of Gobert.
I mean... we got 5 unprotected picks(3 picks + 2 swaps), recent lottery pick and a starter in addition to Sexton to make the difference in value. I really hope nobody thought we were getting anything close to Mitchell in Sexton. With that said... I had some hopes he might turn into a sixth man type fo player for us.

Many yall are getting super low on Sexton. Let's give the guy 20 real games before we start going nuts.

Also, to the "Sexton isn't a winning player" crowd. Go look at who he played with his first three seasons. Put Don in place of Collin and you'd say the same thing about him.... cuz they'd lose a lot. Cedi Osman played the second most minutes his first two seasons. Garland struggled as a rookie so wasn't like that pairing got a huge amount of time to figure things out.

Dude can put the ball in the basket. Let's see if he can do more... everyone take a deep breath.

The Cleveland deal depends on Ochai and where the picks land. Don wouldn't have left NY and I think they would still be middle of the pack type of team. Cleveland has a higher ceiling but depends on Don staying or what they get in a trade for him, as well as Mobley's health (the unicorn types like him tend to have a hard time staying healthy).

Sexton/Lauri < RJ/IQ but we need to see consistency on RJ's development before we make huge judgements. He wasn't a sure thing type of bet, but I'd prefer that player type/position... so it was a bet I'd like to have made.

I agree with this pretty much. In the end both deals are fine but I would have liked to have the RJ side.

I could come back with the question of how many game winners Mitchell has made vs missed and Sexton’s miraculous 3 on 5 game in college but it wouldn’t change your thinking.

Truthfully though I was reacting more to your insinuation of the trade “Swindled by Sexton”. Sexton doesn’t even have to be a huge success for us to declare a net positive on that deal with Laurie, Agbaji and the picks and swaps. Cleveland on the other hand…. I mean there’s a reason GM’s hate Danny and the Jazz - and it’s not because he takes it up the a$$.
lmfao

They hate Danny because of how he negotiates. That doesn't mean he wins every trade. This man wanted to give 4 first round picks up for Justice Winslow at one point, he is not infallible

And just to make it clear, I have no issues with the trade. At the end of the day it's about the picks. I just hate that we gave him a contract like the one he got.

And just to make it clear, I have no issues with the trade. At the end of the day it's about the picks. I just hate that we gave him a contract like the one he got.
4/72M for Sexton is a really good deal. That's sixth man money. If he outperforms that type of role then its all gravy. You wildin.