What's new

We Got Swindled by Sexton (And Eddie Zero Sucks)

Why was the Knicks thing offering a better early package BS?

That was the whole thing, the Knicks were progressively making their offer less and less because they thought they had leverage and no one else would step up. I believe it. I think DA was being greedy early and the Knicks tried to punish him for it.

Woj/Shams are certainly mouthpieces for certain things, but I do think they report accurate information for the most part. They just frame it in ways that benefit the people they need it to benefit.

I mean they report accurately what their sources are saying, they just have different sources with different agendas. Their sources disagreed. In these situations, I generally trust the side that has the least amount to lose if the truth comes out.

Pretty obvious what the Jazz wanted, more picks. Do you think they turn down a deal with 6 FRP picks + some seconds +Barrett + Quickly? I'm pretty sure Danny takes that deal all day. It was never offered.

Watch what teams do, not what they say.

I mean they report accurately what their sources are saying, they just have different sources with different agendas. Their sources disagreed. In these situations, I generally trust the side that has the least amount to lose if the truth comes out.

Pretty obvious what the Jazz wanted, more picks. Do you think they turn down a deal with 6 FRP picks + some seconds +Barrett + Quickly? I'm pretty sure Danny takes that deal all day. It was never offered.

The Jazz most definitely turned town RJ/Quickley + 2 unprotected 1sts + a top-5 protected 1st at minimum.

Uhh, when did the report say 6 FRP's? It said 3.

View: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1565505224986566657?s=10&t=EYqrEmZ5IphxI73jWttARw

Pls stop trying to gaslight us dude.

Knicks offered 3 first, RJ, Obi, and Robinson.

The Jazz turning that down and trying to squeeze more is certainly believable.

Then the Knicks lowered the deal believing they had leverage. This isnt some wild report that makes the Knicks look better. It's the likely truth.

@framer believes the reports that support his position are gospel. Then is dubious of reports that don’t support his position even though they are every bit as credible.

View: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1565505224986566657?s=10&t=EYqrEmZ5IphxI73jWttARw

Then the Knicks lowered the deal believing they had leverage. This isnt some wild report that makes the Knicks look better. It's the likely truth.

I don't believe that report. This was obvious damage control from the Knicks and CAA. There is an actual report from Ian Begley at the time this was actually happening(rather than 2 months after it happened from when the Knicks were trying to convince us that the Jazz were unreasonable and unwilling to trade Mitchell to NY and that's why they botched the deal) and in that report it was the Jazz asking for that package and the Knicks saying no.

Hollinger had a very good point after that deal happened and all the speculations about what was offered and when. He pretty much said the only real offer we 100% know about is the one that got accepted. Everything else is either leaks trying to create leverage pre-deal or spin/damage control post-deal.

Either way... Sexton was not the piece we did this trade for. There are 5 picks and 2 more players that are more valuable than Sexton in that deal. The obvious bet Ainge is making is that the Cavs will be bad/injured at least one of those years(4 of them are after Mitchell will likely be gone from the Cavs). Maybe we never get anything of value... maybe we trade those picks at some point... or maybe we get a BKN type haul. We will see in due time. I liked the deal when it happened and I like it now. I'm definitely not dissuaded because of Sexton's pre-season performance or over RJ Barrett shooting 60% from 3 in 2 pre-season games(good luck maintaining that)...

Last edited:
I don't believe that report. This was obvious damage control from the Knicks and CAA. There is an actual report from Ian Begley at the time this was actually happening(rather than 2 months after it happened from when the Knicks were trying to convince us that the Jazz were unreasonable and unwilling to trade Mitchell to NY and that's why they botched the deal) and in that report it was the Jazz asking for that package and the Knicks saying no.

Hollinger had a very good point after that deal happened and all the speculations about what was offered and when. He pretty much said the only real offer we 100% know about is the one that got accepted. Everything else is either leaks trying to create leverage pre-deal or spin/damage control post-deal.

Either way... Sexton was not the piece we did this trade for. There are 5 picks and 2 more players that are more valuable than Sexton in that deal. The obvious bet Ainge is making is that the Cavs will be bad/injured at least one of those years(4 of them are after Mitchell will likely be gone from the Cavs). Maybe we never get anything of value... maybe we trade those picks at some point... or maybe we get a BKN type haul. We will see in due time. I liked the deal when it happened and I like it now. I'm definitely not dissuaded because of Sexton's pre-season performance or over RJ Barrett shooting 60% from 3 in 2 pre-season games(good luck maintaining that)...
It checks out to me. Knicks made a solid offer early, Jazz were probably being unreasonable and trying to get more, the Knicks were upset because they genuinely thought no one else would make a legit offer (they were right until the Cavs made the offer) so they lowered the price.

And I know the deal wasn't about 100% Sexton... No one has ever thought that outside of maybe a couple of delusional people so I'm not sure who you are trying to convince with that last paragraph

Had a yard sale a couple weeks ago
was selling a shirt for 5 bucks
First customer came by (we'll call him nick) Nick offers 4 bucks
I said no...how about 4.75
Nick says...no one else here...how about 3.50
What? says I...that's less than you originally offered
Nick says ok...now it's 3 bucks
Then Cal then drove up and I sold the shirt to him for 4.50

Funny thing is… Sexton has played better than Mitchell so far, and yet this post exists.

I don’t see how a person can argue that it will take time for Mitchell to adjust / learn and in the same breath not give Sexton time to adjust.

Funny thing is… Sexton has played better than Mitchell so far, and yet this post exists.

I don’t see how a person can argue that it will take time for Mitchell to adjust / learn and in the same breath not give Sexton time to adjust.
Not sure anyone is suggesting he won't get better or that we should cut him.

@framer believes the reports that support his position are gospel. Then is dubious of reports that don’t support his position even though they are every bit as credible.
And you believe every report that you want to believe an ignore evert bit of evidence to the contrary. And somehow you just want to believe the stuff you want to bitch about. It isn't like Shams is is a no name. I would also argue that hw has less of an agenda than Woj here who is telling the story CAA is feeding him.

There were exactly no reports at the time saying anything close to this. This only came out well AFTER the Cleveland deal was done, after people were clowning on New York for not getting the deal done. I mean Woj is reporting what he was told. Do you think he had an sources from Utah on this? Do you think Danny confirmed it? Why would Woj even report it weeks after it was relevant if not for damage control.

Logic says that whatever deal was turned down was objectively worse than the Cleveland deal. Shams reporting bears that out, Woj"s reporting does not.

I guess we could summon Tony to see what he says.

And you believe every report that you want to believe an ignore evert bit of evidence to the contrary. And somehow you just want to believe the stuff you want to bitch about. It isn't like Shams is is a no name. I would also argue that hw has less of an agenda than Woj here who is telling the story CAA is feeding him.

Bro… you literally believe the Knicks final offer was RJ/Quickley + 2 unprotected 1sts and that’s it? Like that’s the entire offer you truly think that?

There were exactly no reports at the time saying anything close to this. This only came out well AFTER the Cleveland deal was done, after people were clowning on New York for not getting the deal done. I mean Woj is reporting what he was told. Do you think he had an sources from Utah on this? Do you think Danny confirmed it? Why would Woj even report it weeks after it was relevant if not for damage control.

Logic says that whatever deal was turned down was objectively worse than the Cleveland deal. Shams reporting bears that out, Woj"s reporting does not.

I mean it takes a while for details to come out… I’m going to put more faith in a detailed article than a one minute hit that comes out in the hyper nba news breaker cycle.

It’s just hilarious that you throw cold water on one report and trust one with your whole heart… it’s just like the Suns report the other day that you said can’t be true because they also reported there was a deal proposed where we’d send a pick back to LA in one of the Bogey/Conley Russ trade convos. Then it was later confirmed from an LA Athletic writer. The truth is somewhere in the middle of all this ****… I just choose to not dick ride the front office on every move they make… I simply call balls and strikes how I see em. Both offers could have been very close and the Jazz liked Ochai… It doesn’t have to be one extreme or the other.

Yes, I think Woj has sources within Utah.

Jesus Christ y'all acting like Woj is some hack. He's the GOAT at reporting accurate information. Does he put a spin on things I'm his articles? Hell yeah, but let's stop acting like he is out here lying.

And no **** it comes out after the fact. You don't get realtime information on trade rumors.

Why wouldnt Utah turn down that deal in July? They were angling for Grimes and more picks. They thought the Knicks were suckers (everyone did). Then the Knicks got mad and tried some power plays. They ****ed around and found out (enter that meme graph that I would get infracted for posting). I have no idea how this is some unbelievable spin that makes the Knicks look good. It's very believable and does not make the Knicks look good.

I've followed Cavs sometime during post LeBron. He was always like this, just attack the rim with very little creativity, forces alot of tough shots and doesn't involve his team mates. It's like he can't adapt to Cavs system and just do his own thing. Poor vision. I hope he do better here

It checks out to me. Knicks made a solid offer early, Jazz were probably being unreasonable and trying to get more, the Knicks were upset because they genuinely thought no one else would make a legit offer (they were right until the Cavs made the offer) so they lowered the price.

And I know the deal wasn't about 100% Sexton... No one has ever thought that outside of maybe a couple of delusional people so I'm not sure who you are trying to convince with that last paragraph
Why did the leak AT THE TIME this was actually happening coming from NYK insider say it was the Jazz asking for that and NYK refusing? Then after the deal fell through and CAA bosses Leon Rose and William Wesley were under fire for botching the deal for CAA client they've been preparing for 3 years for, this version of events was published by CAA-represented Woj.

Ask yourself what is the more likely sequence of events here. Sorry, but I just don't believe it. Woj is a great reporter for things that verifiably happened. Woj is horrible spin doctor for things that are designed to help/hurt his friends/enemies.

Why did the leak AT THE TIME this was actually happening coming from NYK insider say it was the Jazz asking for that and NYK refusing? Then after the deal fell through and CAA bosses Leon Rose and William Wesley were under fire for botching the deal for CAA client they've been preparing for 3 years for, this version of events was published by CAA-represented Woj.

Ask yourself what is the more likely sequence of events here. Sorry, but I just don't believe it. Woj is a great reporter for things that verifiably happened. Woj is horrible spin doctor for things that are designed to help/hurt his friends/enemies.
Can you link me to the Begley reporting you're referring to so I can refresh myself on what he said