What's new

We should trade for Deron Williams

We did. A series of psychological tests were run for Exum in the run-up to the draft - he was given a set of tests that measure, among other things, intelligence, spatial awareness, and leadership. He scored higher on those assessments than any other player on the Jazz.

Exum is going to be fine. He's coming off a major injury, missed a year of development, is still one of the youngest players in the league, is playing the most complicated position with the lengthiest development arc, and still, despite that, has made progress this year from year one.

He's still the point guard of the future, but it's doubtful he takes a major leap before next year.

The amount of lucky breaks it would take for the Jazz to win a championship this year is almost too numerous to imagine and would require significant injuries to other teams. We can put ourselves in a position to take advantage of that, in the off chance that it does happen, but we aren't going to trade major future assets for a back-up point guard that is no longer in his prime. That's the type of move you make when you're a lock as a contender. The Jazz are still two years away from that - and development from Rudy, Hood, Exum, and Lyles are going to be what takes them there - not a washed-up former point guard.

None of those tests measure killer instinct which is what the other team measured. If I remember correctly, the decision had something in large part to do with Exum's eyes. Sounded funny then, but has turned out to be an accurate assessment.

The stuff the Jazz measured sound more like they were testing his basketball IQ, which is a different thing, and those things can be learned. The killer instinct, I believe, is learned at a young age, and like learning to pronounce the letter r, once past a certain age you can no longer learn it.

Also, I would put money that the "washed-up former point guard" would play better than our starting point guard if he were on our team. He even produced better stats and for the most part played better than George Hill in last nights game, so it's pretty ridiculous that you're claiming he's washed up.

i don't think jazz will do this because of what happened in utah. he will be a great back up pg for sure tho...

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

In crunch time last when Hill fouled out QS decided he'd rather bypass three PG's sitting on the bench and come up with an improvised line-up to win a game on the road against a veteran team.

That might win a game in Dallas in January but it probably won't win a game in The Staples Center in April.

If this is QS's mindset then you have to make a move.

I'd go with Mack and the GSW pick for DW.

As for the anti DW sentiment in Utah - ****'em. They should have gotten over it by now.

In crunch time last when Hill fouled out QS decided he'd rather bypass three PG's sitting on the bench and come up with an improvised line-up to win a game on the road against a veteran team.

That might win a game in Dallas in January but it probably won't win a game in The Staples Center in April.

If this is QS's mindset then you have to make a move.

I'd go with Mack and the GSW pick for DW.

As for the anti DW sentiment in Utah - ****'em. They should have gotten over it by now.

in both crunch-time situations against Utah this year, DW has **** the bed pretty impressively

DW was a very talented guard, but never that focused. I'm not impressed with him at this point.

in both crunch-time situations against Utah this year, DW has **** the bed pretty impressively

That has been pretty hilarious. He did make the big drive and dish to Curry to send it to OT though, so he made some good plays too.

None of those tests measure killer instinct which is what the other team measured. If I remember correctly, the decision had something in large part to do with Exum's eyes. Sounded funny then, but has turned out to be an accurate assessment.

The stuff the Jazz measured sound more like they were testing his basketball IQ, which is a different thing, and those things can be learned. The killer instinct, I believe, is learned at a young age, and like learning to pronounce the letter r, once past a certain age you can no longer learn it.

Also, I would put money that the "washed-up former point guard" would play better than our starting point guard if he were on our team. He even produced better stats and for the most part played better than George Hill in last nights game, so it's pretty ridiculous that you're claiming he's washed up.

None of those tests mattered. They put Oladipo on Exum in one on one workout and Exum fared so badly in it that Magic decided to pass on him.

I'm already on-record saying the Jazz should upgrade the back-up PG. But I don't think DW is that guy. Too many sideline situations to go with the meh play.

This would make way too much sense. Trade Mack and a future 2nd or two for him.. I don't know how/why Dallas would say no to that. Plus he's an expiring contract, so if it doesn't work out, we can easily cut our losses.

I'm already on-record saying the Jazz should upgrade the back-up PG. But I don't think DW is that guy. Too many sideline situations to go with the meh play.

He is definitely the best PG who could potentially be on the market, or the best one that could potentially be on the market and would be OK w/ being a backup.

At this point, the only consideration should be how to win in the playoffs. It's pretty clear that the answer (at least this year) is not with Exum, Mack or Neto in the playoff rotation. The Cavs and Warriors have started an arms race. Adding Hill and JJ to a solid young roster was the Jazz first shot at climbing the mountain. Adding D-Will (who I will freely admit I'm not a fan of) or Rudy Gay would be another step in that progression - as long as they know and accept their role like Joe Johnson has. Having the capibility to bring a guy of Williams off the bench could prove a major thing IF he plays better defense than any of the current backup point guards. I know he'll bring better offense.

While I probably would look elsewhere, I wouldn't be totally opposed to it either. The Cavs are a team that identify weaknesses and aggressively attempt to fill them. Wouldn't hurt to see the Jazz do so also - as long as they don't sacrifice the future for the now. I know that I wouldn't trade for anyone who would upset the chemistry of this team and make Hayward consider leaving.

I'd make a move for DWill if he came with Dirk. I think that pushes us over the top.

He made a great move, the layup just didn't go in. He also had an and-one in OT and a great pass at the end of regulation so Dallas would have never been in that spot to begin with if it wasn't for him.

The shot a few weeks ago in Utah was dumbass - no way around that. Stupid hero ball.

It also bears mentioning that he almost single-handedly kept The Jazz out of the playoffs last year with that win in Utah end of last season.

D Rose is the worst defensive PG - I'm including back-ups and fringe D-Leaguers most of Europe, some of China and the college power conferences.

Seriously, he's giving up career games for the opposing PGs on a nightly basis.

D Rose would be a marked upgrade at backup,he'd fit well next to all the shooters. Getting him out of NY, contract year and gearing up for the race for homecourt is a perfect situation for both parties.

There's no doubt he'd add a nice boost, certainly much more athletic than Mack