What's new

We should trade for Deron Williams

At this point, the only consideration should be how to win in the playoffs. It's pretty clear that the answer (at least this year) is not with Exum, Mack or Neto in the playoff rotation. The Cavs and Warriors have started an arms race. Adding Hill and JJ to a solid young roster was the Jazz first shot at climbing the mountain. Adding D-Will (who I will freely admit I'm not a fan of) or Rudy Gay would be another step in that progression - as long as they know and accept their role like Joe Johnson has. Having the capibility to bring a guy of Williams off the bench could prove a major thing IF he plays better defense than any of the current backup point guards. I know he'll bring better offense.

While I probably would look elsewhere, I wouldn't be totally opposed to it either. The Cavs are a team that identify weaknesses and aggressively attempt to fill them. Wouldn't hurt to see the Jazz do so also - as long as they don't sacrifice the future for the now. I know that I wouldn't trade for anyone who would upset the chemistry of this team and make Hayward consider leaving.

Unfortunately Rudy Gay is out for the season

D Rose would be a marked upgrade at backup,he'd fit well next to all the shooters. Getting him out of NY, contract year and gearing up for the race for homecourt is a perfect situation for both parties.

There's no doubt he'd add a nice boost, certainly much more athletic than Mack

Rose in a Jazz uniform, ha, that will be the day. The lawsuit, the injuries, his aura of self entitlement, just 100% opposite of what the Jazz look for.

Deron's PER during the last three seasons fluctuated between 15.7 and 14.6. You may call that "fairly efficient" if you want, but a score of 15 means league average.

Ehh, that includes every position. It's not average for PG's. He is 26th in PER among PG's, which isn't great as a starter, but fantastic as a backup. And PER is less of an efficiency rating (though I know it has the word efficiency in it) as much as it is "does this player get a ton of stats" rating. A guard like Dwill who doesnt rebound or get steals is going to get hurt in PER.

D Rose would be a marked upgrade at backup,he'd fit well next to all the shooters. Getting him out of NY, contract year and gearing up for the race for homecourt is a perfect situation for both parties.

There's no doubt he'd add a nice boost, certainly much more athletic than Mack

The dude is looking for a max contract - you think he'd be happy here as a back-up?

His first step is still awesome - so there's that. But he sucks at everything else. No J, can't pass, no D.

And if your argument is he's more athletic then Mack then I can apply that same argument to 30-40 other PG's in the league with way less baggage.

If we could get him our team would be stacked and we could make a deep run in the playoffs. It's even possible that he could play just as good or better than Hill (though Hill should start for team chemistry reasons).

I mean I had high hopes for Exum, but maybe we should have hired a psychiatrist like Orlando (or some other team did) to realize that he doesn't have the mental fortitude required to become a great player. At this point, if Snyder was only going to play me like 8 minutes a game, I wouldn't be nervous of making mistakes, I would be playing like Kobe Bryant in his rookie year. Unless Exum's injury has actually reduced his physical capabilities, he really has no excuse to be playing timid at this point.

So maybe the next step in the cake baking process for the Jazz is to acquire D-Will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

I dont think one player can ruin team chemistry when the team chemistry is strong. And has D-Will ever been called a bad teammate? He seemed to really get along with most everyone. Quin is known as a player's coach too.

how did it work out with kanter. kanter killed team chemistry

Ehh, that includes every position. It's not average for PG's. He is 26th in PER among PG's, which isn't great as a starter, but fantastic as a backup. And PER is less of an efficiency rating (though I know it has the word efficiency in it) as much as it is "does this player get a ton of stats" rating. A guard like Dwill who doesnt rebound or get steals is going to get hurt in PER.

I agree with your assertion about PER and about where Deron ranks. My only problem with trading for Deron is that he shoots too much. He always loved to score and the Jazz team already has too much people inclined to shoot rather than pass (like Lyles, Hood, Joe Johnson).

I agree with your assertion about PER and about where Deron ranks. My only problem with trading for Deron is that he shoots too much. He always loved to score and the Jazz team already has too much people inclined to shoot rather than pass (like Lyles, Hood, Joe Johnson).

In FGA per 36 minutes he ranks 148th. That number would be higher once you adjusted for a threshold of minutes played per game, but still, not that high. Our 2nd unit still regularly gets stuck in late shot clock moments where someone has to force up a tough shot or its in one of our PG hands with under 6 seconds left on the clock.

Depends on the cost of course, but he'd fill the main gap at backup pg and can play with Hill... I think he's at a point in his career a sixth man role is appropriate. We have no knuckleheads and Deron is not a knucklehead... he may be a bit of an ***, but I think we could handle it.

He'd also protect us against injury... Hill is not mr.reliable. Count me as in... not for romantic reasons, but just because it fits.

Give them Lyles. Let's get Dirk. We've been collecting a lot of poker chips. It's time to cash those in and have a hell of a night on the town.

Give them Lyles. Let's get Dirk. We've been collecting a lot of poker chips. It's time to cash those in and have a hell of a night on the town.

Dirk has been *** this year. Why are you giving them Lyles for him? Plus they would never do that because Cuban loves Dirk.

Dirk has been *** this year. Why are you giving them Lyles for him? Plus they would never do that because Cuban loves Dirk.

It doesn't matter if he's ***. He's playing a completely complementary bench role. Regardless of his diminishing game, you can't leave that guy open anywhere on the floor and rounding out a three-man rotation of him, Favors and Gobert would be unbelievable. You're right that they wouldn't do it, but I'd be willing to swing some assets to have Dirk and Deron coming off the bench.

We're not getting Dirk, Cuban has gone on record saying that he'll pay Dirk whatever it takes to make sure he retires with the Mavericks.

It doesn't matter if he's ***. He's playing a completely complementary bench role. Regardless of his diminishing game, you can't leave that guy open anywhere on the floor and rounding out a three-man rotation of him, Favors and Gobert would be unbelievable. You're right that they wouldn't do it, but I'd be willing to swing some assets to have Dirk and Deron coming off the bench.

No thanks. Giving up Lyles for him makes no sense.

No to Dirk... nonsensical idea... he's a Mac for life and based on how he's looked when I've watched him he's toast.