What's new

Weight lifting and being tired all the time

So far here are the suggestions ranked by plausibility:

1. Insufficient nutrition and/or rest.
2. Weightlifting sucks if I'm to become a ninja assassin.
3. There's no overcoming my puss-weedness.
4. Body ravaged from old age.
5. I'm getting high from water.
6. My prostate not getting milked often enough.

I think you meant to say 1 and 1a. The rest can go into the dustbin.

The good thing is you can get your bloodwork and prostate done at the same time.

Especially if your doctor has huge hands.

You really shouldn't be going to Dr. Ballou.

<--- Has huge hands.

Here is my 2 cents. I think you need to train less and rest more. You might be hardgainer ( I am). I used to go to gym and do weightlifting every other day and train like maniac for 1.5-2 hrs. I was going through numerous exercises and was eating lots and taking protein shakes, creatine, tribulus, etc etc, and never gained any significant muscle and felt tired and exhausted most of the time. Then some smart dude explained to me how hardgainers should train. Two simple principles - intensive compound exercises ( you basically need three exercises - squat, dead lift and incline bench press) for no longer then 45-50 min per session and 3-4 days resting. You grow muscle when resting not when in the gym! And eat, eat, eat a lot. I gained 15lbs of muscle that way in 6 month and was feeling better then ever ( that was at the age of 39). Maybe that's what you should try.

Update?

Was it low testosterone like Girlybum? Or anemia? Or too many Sea men in your diet? Or not enough?

Update?

Was it low testosterone like Girlybum? Or anemia? Or too many Sea men in your diet? Or not enough?

Got blood-work results yesterday. Iron deficient, but just barely. Apparently the multivitamin I use does not contain iron, and I don't eat a lot of meat. Doc said my iron levels are probably normal prior to weight lifting regiment, but apparently I need more iron now that I'm lifting. A problem easily remedied, thankfully. :)

Got blood-work results yesterday. Iron deficient, but just barely. Apparently the multivitamin I use does not contain iron, and I don't eat a lot of meat. Doc said my iron levels are probably normal prior to weight lifting regiment, but apparently I need more iron now that I'm lifting. A problem easily remedied, thankfully. :)

Good to hear it wasn't anything super serious. I know it doesn't compare completely, but I was anemic when I was undergoing chemo and I just felt like sleeping all the time. My doctor put me on iron supplements and it immediately improved. That was why I thought about that first thing. Strange how that works sometimes.

Good to hear it wasn't anything super serious. I know it doesn't compare completely, but I was anemic when I was undergoing chemo and I just felt like sleeping all the time. My doctor put me on iron supplements and it immediately improved. That was why I thought about that first thing. Strange how that works sometimes.

Yep. I replaced my supplement yesterday, and I already feel better. I'm not sure if it's the placebo effect or perhaps a coincidence, but I feel perfectly normal at the moment. :)

I appreciate all the input.

I only eat one meal a day. I eat my meal 2-3 hours before I go to sleep. I get sleepy and tired whenever I eat. It is called the Warrior Diet, aka Herschel Walker diet.

I only eat one meal a day. I eat my meal 2-3 hours before I go to sleep. I get sleepy and tired whenever I eat. It is called the Warrior Diet, aka Herschel Walker diet.

That sounds like something TBS would do.

I wonder how many millions of people are out there just swallowing cups of coffee/energy drinks/etc to get a boost that really just need a little $3 bottle of Iron supplement that will last you 3 months to get energy. It really does make your blood feel completely different if you've previously been deficient. You'll probably **** yourself occasionally, but it's worth it.

I wonder how many millions of people are out there just swallowing cups of coffee/energy drinks/etc to get a boost that really just need a little $3 bottle of Iron supplement that will last you 3 months to get energy. It really does make your blood feel completely different if you've previously been deficient. You'll probably **** yourself occasionally, but it's worth it.

Ever since I had chemo and went through other treatment for cancer, I get a full blood work-up twice a year. I have found several different things that have similar outward manifestations to this, but mild anemia is most common imo. And the push to move away from red meats and such doesn't help as most people don't think to supplement iron, which is had in abundance in animal protein sources.

That must be the stupidest thing to do to your body especially if you have fast metabolism. People like me need to eat every 2-3 hrs at least.

That must be the stupidest thing to do to your body especially if you have fast metabolism. People like me need to eat every 2-3 hrs at least.

I knew this one guy at a place I used to work at. He said he ate 3000 calories a day. He was also about 130 lbs and 5'8" ish. One day I saw him eating lunch he said he was starving and havent aten all day so he was going to eat two bowls of cup of noodles ramen. He wasn't able to finish the second cup.... I could eat like 3 cup of noodles and I still wouldn't be full. I don't want to say I don't believe you but unless you have sort sort of medical condition you are probably eating more in line with the average person your weight/build then you probably think. People's metabolisms may be a couple of percent points away from others of people with similar body types but this whole thing of certain people having to eat a ton is probably exaggerated.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110403090259.htm Some research on why I fast. 2000% hgh production.... 20 times more.

Also this "Enhance cardiovascular and brain functions and improve several risk factors for coronary artery disease and stroke including a reduction in blood pressure and increased insulin sensitivity"

Mattson, M; Wan, R (2005). "Beneficial effects of intermittent fasting and caloric restriction on the cardiovascular and cerebrovascular systems". The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 16 (3): 129–37

I knew this one guy at a place I used to work at. He said he ate 3000 calories a day. He was also about 130 lbs and 5'8" ish. One day I saw him eating lunch he said he was starving and havent aten all day so he was going to eat two bowls of cup of noodles ramen. He wasn't able to finish the second cup.... I could eat like 3 cup of noodles and I still wouldn't be full. I don't want to say I don't believe you but unless you have sort sort of medical condition you are probably eating more in line with the average person your weight/build then you probably think. People's metabolisms may be a couple of percent points away from others of people with similar body types but this whole thing of certain people having to eat a ton is probably exaggerated.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110403090259.htm Some research on why I fast. 2000% hgh production.... 20 times more.

Also this "Enhance cardiovascular and brain functions and improve several risk factors for coronary artery disease and stroke including a reduction in blood pressure and increased insulin sensitivity"

Mattson, M; Wan, R (2005). "Beneficial effects of intermittent fasting and caloric restriction on the cardiovascular and cerebrovascular systems". The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 16 (3): 129–37

Sorry, I needed to be more specific. I need to eat every 2-3 hrs when weight lifting in order to gain muscle. If I am playing soccer or basketball and not trying to gain muscle I am totally fine to eat 3-4 times a day.
So at the end of the day eating once a day and trying to gain muscle while weightlifting IMHO is really, really bad idea.

Sorry, I needed to be more specific. I need to eat every 2-3 hrs when weight lifting in order to gain muscle. If I am playing soccer or basketball and not trying to gain muscle I am totally fine to eat 3-4 times a day.
So at the end of the day eating once a day and trying to gain muscle while weightlifting IMHO is really, really bad idea.

You realize Herschel Walker looks like this, right?

herschel-walker-300x200.jpg

I see a little muscle there. If he's being truthful about only eating that one meal a day since he was 18, that's pretty crazy. He also has favorable genetics though, and pumps out insane amounts of pushups and situps each day, so it probably wouldn't be the best idea for your average dude. I don't think I could make it on a diet like that, and I wouldn't want to try either simply on account that I like eating.

What outcome are you looking to get by following it?

"Our genes, our genetics, are geared to us having food intermittently. ... I’m comfortable with saying that it’s healthy, it’s fine, to skip meals. The animal studies are very clear. ... I think it’s better to eat one meal a day than six small meals. You need to challenge your system. ... It’s OK not to eat three meals a day. It’s OK a couple days a week to eat just one meal. It’s actually not only OK, it’s healthy."

- Mark Mattson (Laboratory Chief of Neurosciences at the National Institute of Aging and neuroscience professor at Johns Hopkins University)

Me personally it is to get better shape and maybe live a little bit longer. Rats that ate intermittently lived longer but the Rhesus Monkey study wasn't as conclusive as the rat study was so there is a chance that it may not make us live longer as much.

Also eating 1 meal a day and getting to enjoy stuffing my face while knowing I probably still lost weight that day is a good feeling :). You get used to it after a while and it is just part of my daily routine now.