What's new

Weight lifting and being tired all the time

Siro

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
I started weight training about a month ago, and regardless of how much sleep I get, I am always severely tired. I'm not talking about muscle soreness. I have a hard time focusing, my eyes always burn, and I could probably just spend the whole day sleeping if I could.

The only logical conclusion is that my nutrition sucks. But I can't figure out how. I am eating around 3000 kcal a day. I average 150g of protein. I try to get a fair amount of all other nutrients. I take a multivitamin. I mix Flaxseed meal with my protein shakes.

I'm currently at 205 lbs. I'm around 6'4 or so. I weight train 4 times a week, and do 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. I take a day off where I do nothing.

Any ideas?

Reactions: ema
By the way if you began to exercise after a long break, that may be the cause. Because your schedule is a bit much for starting new or all over again. You should always increase the days per week and the intensity gradually.

If you can't figure the reason for your chronic tiredness, a full rest of a week or so may help greatly.

I started weight training about a month ago, and regardless of how much sleep I get, I am always severely tired. I'm not talking about muscle soreness. I have a hard time focusing, my eyes always burn, and I could probably just spend the whole day sleeping if I could.

The only logical conclusion is that my nutrition sucks. But I can't figure out how. I am eating around 3000 kcal a day. I average 150g of protein. I try to get a fair amount of all other nutrients. I take a multivitamin. I mix Flaxseed meal with my protein shakes.

I'm currently at 205 lbs. I'm around 6'4 or so. I weight train 4 times a week, and do 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. I take a day off where I do nothing.

Any ideas?

This child needs God in his life.

I've seen your picture before and you look like a puss-weed. I bet your testosterone is below average.

What does my puss-weedness have to do with being tired?

Because I am also a puss-weed, and I spent years with health issues, including being tired 24/7. Got mine tested a year ago and it was equal to an 87 year old man. I've been shooting it in my *** since then and life is so much greener and brighter, and I sleep/wake like a champ. Get it checked, bro.

This child needs God in his life.
He says he takes a day off. Siro, were you ever this tired before resuming your training? Blood test is certainly a good idea, but you may also want to investigate whether you are sleeping well. Sleep apnea can cause the type of daytime fatigue you describe. It's often not about the number of hours you are sleeping, but the quality of that rest.

He says he takes a day off. Siro, were you ever this tired before resuming your training? Blood test is certainly a good idea, but you may also want to investigate whether you are sleeping well. Sleep apnea can cause the type of daytime fatigue you describe. It's often not about the number of hours you are sleeping, but the quality of that rest.

I was never tired before the lifting, and I was running for 45 minutes a day, 6 days a week. I do the lifting on consecutive days, and my exhaustion reaches a maximum on the forth and final day. I feel fine at the start of the next cycle.

Because I am also a puss-weed, and I spent years with health issues, including being tired 24/7. Got mine tested a year ago and it was equal to an 87 year old man. I've been shooting it in my *** since then and life is so much greener and brighter, and I sleep/wake like a champ. Get it checked, bro.

I probably will. But the thing is, I wasn't ever tired before I started lifting. I seem to have gained some muscle in the past month, and thus my testosterone should be higher than it was before...

What are your goals? Are you trying to gain muscle mass? Are you going for strength gains? It looks like it, might be, given your 3K caloric intake. If so... maybe quit the cardio for a while and just focus on lifting. I don't know how old you are but that height and weight are pretty much normal.

Another thing to look at is your macro mix. At your weight, 50% Carbs / 30% Protein / 20% Fat is never a mistake, and if you're trying to put on muscle mass, 50% Carbs / 35% Protein / 15% Fat is not a bad way to go, although probably overkill. You want to have 1g of protein for every pound of body weight if trying to put on muscle, and at 3K a day, 30% protein is over that for you.

It also wouldn't hurt to take a B supplement in addition to your normal multi-vitamin. And flaxseed is great, but Vitamin C and Vitamin E are also very vital for muscle recovery, and C is also big for energy levels. B and C are both water soluble, so you don't need to worry about taking too much, you'll just pee out the rest.

Iron. Get the blood test. Either you are like girly-man Wells or you may be anemic, which would cause the same thing. If you are using a lot of supplements and not supplementing iron it is a good possibility you are not getting a full nutrition profile, and iron is easy to miss with a supplement based diet.

Other questions:
1. Are you staying away from sugars / starches?
2. If so, is that a new thing?
3. Have you made any other dietary changes that coincide with beginning your weight training?
4. How old are you?
5. Are you male or female? (I honestly don't know)
6. What is your activity level during the day (laborer vs. desk worker)?

Other questions:
1. Are you staying away from sugars / starches?
2. If so, is that a new thing?

Nope. I eat plenty of sugar and starch.

3. Have you made any other dietary changes that coincide with beginning your weight training?

I started taking a multivitamin and significantly increased my protein intake.

4. How old are you?

5. Are you male or female? (I honestly don't know)

Male.

6. What is your activity level during the day (laborer vs. desk worker)?

Moderate activity. On my feet a lot. Some walking around.

Any ideas?

weightlifting sucks.
it has no real world aplicable strength.

weight lifting is for *******

Nope. I eat plenty of sugar and starch.
Hmmmmm. It might be worth it to reduce your sugars. Maybe try to eat more fruit instead of sugary stuff. Starches are... less optimal, but definitely not as bad as outright sugars. You wouldn't think eating less sugar or even cutting it out as much as possible would help your energy levels, but it certainly can. It just takes a week or two for your body to adjust (as if you weren't tired enough already) but it's definitely worth it if you're trying hard to stick to a fitness regime.

I started taking a multivitamin and significantly increased my protein intake.
So what % of your caloric intake do you think is protein?
And do you happen to know your BF% right now?

Moderate activity. On my feet a lot. Some walking around.
Hmmmmmmmm. Well, your RMR is probably in the neighborhood of 2100-2200 calories, so at a relatively minimal level of exertion, you probably need around 2600-2700. If you're on your feet a lot with moderate activity that goes up significantly.

I'd be curious to know if you knew your BF% before starting to lift, and your BF% after.

I'd also be curious to know if you tried to keep the same caloric levels, but just changed to have more of them be protein. What was your caloric intake like before starting to lift?

weightlifting sucks.
it has no real world aplicable strength.

weight lifting is for *******

What would be a real world application in your book? Finding a job as a ninja assassin? Making money at a local underground fighting club? Dramatically breaking a table in half in the middle of a heated argument?

I'm doing it because it's part of being athletic and healthy, with the added advantage of looking good.