What's new

Weight lifting and being tired all the time

"Our genes, our genetics, are geared to us having food intermittently. ... I’m comfortable with saying that it’s healthy, it’s fine, to skip meals. The animal studies are very clear. ... I think it’s better to eat one meal a day than six small meals. You need to challenge your system. ... It’s OK not to eat three meals a day. It’s OK a couple days a week to eat just one meal. It’s actually not only OK, it’s healthy."

- Mark Mattson (Laboratory Chief of Neurosciences at the National Institute of Aging and neuroscience professor at Johns Hopkins University)

Me personally it is to get better shape and maybe live a little bit longer. Rats that ate intermittently lived longer but the Rhesus Monkey study wasn't as conclusive as the rat study was so there is a chance that it may not make us live longer as much.

Also eating 1 meal a day and getting to enjoy stuffing my face while knowing I probably still lost weight that day is a good feeling :). You get used to it after a while and it is just part of my daily routine now.

It may depends on the individuals I think. A meal per day for a restless person like me would be a torture, at least I know it is like that for me.

For instance, I become horribly angry/uneasy and feel exhausted, sluggish and weak at Ramadans.

Last edited:
Also eating 1 meal a day and getting to enjoy stuffing my face while knowing I probably still lost weight that day is a good feeling :). You get used to it after a while and it is just part of my daily routine now.

Do you have a set meal that you usually eat? In watching some of those Herschel videos yesterday he claims to eat just soups, salads, poultry, etc. for that one meal. Just light things that fill you up and are low on calories. He even went through a period where he would just eat 10 Snickers bars as his meal.

That's cool it if it works for you. I definitely do not believe in one size fits all workout plans/diets so I like hearing people that try something different. You've got to tinker and just find out what you can handle best to achieve whatever goals your looking for.

You realize Herschel Walker looks like this, right?

herschel-walker-300x200.jpg

I see a little muscle there. If he's being truthful about only eating that one meal a day since he was 18, that's pretty crazy. He also has favorable genetics though, and pumps out insane amounts of pushups and situps each day, so it probably wouldn't be the best idea for your average dude. I don't think I could make it on a diet like that, and I wouldn't want to try either simply on account that I like eating.

Pardon me for being sceptical but 40-80 gr of protein and no weight lifting to look like him? No way people with fast metabolism would be able to even sustain weight on it, I am not even talking about gaining. Dude obviously has super slow metabolism, that is all his secret ( genes!), I would never recommend that to average or fast metabolism guy.

I started weight training about a month ago, and regardless of how much sleep I get, I am always severely tired. I'm not talking about muscle soreness. I have a hard time focusing, my eyes always burn, and I could probably just spend the whole day sleeping if I could.

The only logical conclusion is that my nutrition sucks. But I can't figure out how. I am eating around 3000 kcal a day. I average 150g of protein. I try to get a fair amount of all other nutrients. I take a multivitamin. I mix Flaxseed meal with my protein shakes.

I'm currently at 205 lbs. I'm around 6'4 or so. I weight train 4 times a week, and do 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. I take a day off where I do nothing.

Any ideas?

I didnt read the rest of the responses but that "eyes always burning" symptom stuck out at me. Is there a chance you might have sleep apnea?