What's new

Well, was it really worth it?

Man I still do not get where people think that a draft pick is a magic bullet that can just fix the team. Its not that we would have even had a top 5 pick, so we would be looking at what, maybe 8 and 14 for the picks? So perhaps some quality role players, and nothing more? Very few teams have gotten lucky in the draft with their teams, and just drafted that one person who made them an instant title contender. The Spurs are one of the few exceptions to the rule. Even Chicago with the Jordan took what, 5 or 6 years to get to where they were in the title hunt? OKC/Seattle has taken a long time with Durant to make it even to the top tiers of the playoffs as well. Was it worth known learning in exchange for some unknown picks? IMO yes a thousand times over! Win or lose, we have never, and should never, purposely lose just to get a pick. That is the thing about being a Jazz fan, Utah has done it right all along, period, and part of the reason I love them so much is that they continue doing things right. Also win or lose, we are still getting press of being a playoff team, and some of the players on other teams might just look and say "Wow Utah got to the playoffs with that lineup? I know I can get them further if I am there", thus actually increasing Utah's Free Agent marketability, if only at least a fractional percentage.

I for one am sick of all the negativity and poor attitudes. So many fans chide the team for playing poorly and having a bad attitude, yet some fans are much harder on the team, especially when they can hide behind the anoninimity of the internet! Suck it up buttercup, support the team, cheer them on, or get the hell out!! I am sick of the negativity though for sure!

I disagree. Real growth comes through tribulation, not through being poised at the edge of greatness. The harder the path, the stronger they become from going down it.

These humiliations are going to change our young players. Not overnight, but in the long run, where it really counts.

How so? It might actually have the opposite effect. It might show the young players how critical it is to have a damn good coach and a ton of talent... something Utah doesn't have and won't have in the near future.

it would be far more easier to jump ship and join a bigger market team than to try and build something in Utah... And this playoff only added to that. SA? Awesome franchise. Utah? Has a TON of work to do.

How so? It might actually have the opposite effect. It might show the young players how critical it is to have a damn good coach and a ton of talent... something Utah doesn't have and won't have in the near future.

so, what this statement implies this that going to the playoffs 'might' have an effect that isn't captured in your awesome OP? In other words, if it's true that it 'might' have the 'opposite effect', then it also must be true that it 'might' not. I don't look for you for the balanced views, but it's interesting to see you backstep into actual complexity.

it would be far more easier to jump ship and join a bigger market team than to try and build something in Utah... And this playoff only added to that. SA? Awesome franchise. Utah? Has a TON of work to do.

I for one wish the jazz wouldn't make the playoffs until they are ready to cream the competition and claim the crown. I want #1 picks or championships. Gin and Juice, bitches.

Mavs are looking to be swept by Thunder just like Jazz. So much for the Playoffs experience :)

I was just thinking the other day, if only the Jazz could get their *** handed to them 8 times, instead of 4, we'd be twice as good next year. The real value in experience here was the run they had to make to actually get in the playoffs. Not surprisingly, the value of getting abused by the Spurs continues to be grossly overstated, to the point it's become nothing more than just another sports cliché. I don't think it's any coincidence that every single poster claiming that not being competeive is still > than draft picks completely ignores the trade value of these picks to bring in another vet. Come draft time, I think a lot of people are going to be shocked at the kind of value teams get for lotto picks in this draft. It's not just because of the depth in this draft, but also because of changes in the new CBA that increase the value of draft picks.

Having said all that, it is what it is at this point. It's time to look forward and hope KOC can pull a rabbit out of his *** in the offseason. We still have the Memo TPE, and hopefully our FO won't be afraid to roll the dice on trading a starter or two. This team needs to add talent, and simply hoping for this magnificent experience we're getting in the art of getting our *** kicked just ain't gonna cut it in getting this team to the next level.

Last edited:
Did not read the 5 pages.

In response to the OP, yes, it's worth it. I wanted to see Playoff Jefferson meaning I wanted to see what happens when there isn't an option for him to be nice. Total fail so far. If Al doesn't show some aggressive pride in game 3 you can call me done on my boy.

I also wanted to see Playoff Corbin. Not a good so far and there is no defending his limiting our best performer. Corbin looks lost and while I don't want to give up on this staff he has got to make better decisions. Again, I'm rooting for him to succeed but so far he has not capitalized enough on the players that want to win.

So, when the chips are down in game 3 in Utah you can bet this is when these two guys will have their greatest chance to show that they are winning basketball individuals. I want to see angry Al and flexible Corbin.

Edit to say I did not get to see Game 2. Maybe the one time I have not bemoaned the lack of TEVO in my life.

Last edited:
I was just thinking the other day, if only the Jazz could get their *** handed to them 8 times, instead of 4, we'd be twice as good next year. The real value in experience here was the run they had to make to actually get in the playoffs. Not surprisingly, the value of getting abused by the Spurs continues to be grossly overstated, to the point it's become nothing more than just another sports cliché. I don't think it's any coincidence that every single poster claiming that not being competeive is still > than draft picks completely ignores the trade value of these picks to bring in another vet. Come draft time, I think a lot of people are going to be shocked at the kind of value teams get for lotto picks in this draft. It's not just because of the depth in this draft, but also because of changes in the new CBA that inrease the value of draft picks.

Having said all that, it is what it is at this point. It's time to look forward and hope KOC can pull a rabbit out of his *** in the offseason. We still have the Memo TPE, and hopefully our FO won't be afraid to roll the dice on trading a starter or two. This team needs to add talent, and simply hoping for this magnificent experience we're getting in the art of getting our *** kicked just ain't gonna cut it in getting this team to the next level.

You are Brilliant

People its the Jims and Joes that win ball games. That's it nothing else. When you are talking in terms of what comes first, what is the main ingredient. Pro Basketball is complex but not rocket science, and the experiment is conducted right in front of your eyes and ends with a definitive answer.

The fact of the matter is that the more talent you have and the better they are then the better your chances. And the best way to get your hands on some before they are swooped up is to go straight to the source. And the more chances you have at getting some talent the better your chances as well. Simple math right? More picks the better.

Man I still do not get where people think that a draft pick is a magic bullet that can just fix the team. Its not that we would have even had a top 5 pick, so we would be looking at what, maybe 8 and 14 for the picks? So perhaps some quality role players, and nothing more? Very few teams have gotten lucky in the draft with their teams, and just drafted that one person who made them an instant title contender. The Spurs are one of the few exceptions to the rule. Even Chicago with the Jordan took what, 5 or 6 years to get to where they were in the title hunt? OKC/Seattle has taken a long time with Durant to make it even to the top tiers of the playoffs as well. Was it worth known learning in exchange for some unknown picks? IMO yes a thousand times over! Win or lose, we have never, and should never, purposely lose just to get a pick. That is the thing about being a Jazz fan, Utah has done it right all along, period, and part of the reason I love them so much is that they continue doing things right. Also win or lose, we are still getting press of being a playoff team, and some of the players on other teams might just look and say "Wow Utah got to the playoffs with that lineup? I know I can get them further if I am there", thus actually increasing Utah's Free Agent marketability, if only at least a fractional percentage.

I for one am sick of all the negativity and poor attitudes. So many fans chide the team for playing poorly and having a bad attitude, yet some fans are much harder on the team, especially when they can hide behind the anoninimity of the internet! Suck it up buttercup, support the team, cheer them on, or get the hell out!! I am sick of the negativity though for sure!

Well said, Utahquad. It really pisses me off too to come here and see so many "fans" so down and derogatory toward players, coaches, management, etc of what is supposed to be the team they cheer for. People need to grow up.

I was just thinking the other day, if only the Jazz could get their *** handed to them 8 times, instead of 4, we'd be twice as good next year. The real value in experience here was the run they had to make to actually get in the playoffs. Not surprisingly, the value of getting abused by the Spurs continues to be grossly overstated, to the point it's become nothing more than just another sports cliché. I don't think it's any coincidence that every single poster claiming that not being competeive is still > than draft picks completely ignores the trade value of these picks to bring in another vet. Come draft time, I think a lot of people are going to be shocked at the kind of value teams get for lotto picks in this draft. It's not just because of the depth in this draft, but also because of changes in the new CBA that increase the value of draft picks.

You keep mentioning trade value. If the Jazz failed to make the playoffs, they wouldn't be able to trade a first round pick during the upcoming season. Now they can. They have not lost ANY trade value in draft picks.

yar, this.

repped.

Even though it has been gut wrenching and painful, it has at least been exciting anticipating the games. We still have two games at home, I expect us to at least be very competitive in both. The beginning of this series reminded me of the regular season when we would be playing hot, then hit a large road stretch and completely fall apart and at the end of the stretch we would look about as good as the Warriors. Now we get a chance to get back home and rediscover what makes us win.

If you are a Jazz fans and you think that Utah would be better served with the #14 pick in this years NBA draft then feel free to show us all who Utah is missing out on.

https://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft

Use that mock draft, put the Jazz in Houston's position with the #14 pick and tell us who you take. Explain to us how he is going to turn Utah into a contender and how he will be more valuable than playoff experience.

If you can't, or refuse to, do that then you have no basis for an argument. You can't just run around screaming "We needed that draft pick!!!" if you have no idea who Utah would have gotten with the pick in the first place.

Even though it has been gut wrenching and painful, it has at least been exciting anticipating the games. We still have two games at home, I expect us to at least be very competitive in both. The beginning of this series reminded me of the regular season when we would be playing hot, then hit a large road stretch and completely fall apart and at the end of the stretch we would look about as good as the Warriors. Now we get a chance to get back home and rediscover what makes us win.

Well, during the AJ absence (a couple of games) we saw what this team can be.

If Corbin can't see it, just bring a coach who can.

Utah right now has all the pieces to create big problems to SA. Coaching stuff just sucks.

I don't even know where to start with this post... you have let your cynicism override any sense of logic or rationale.

I stand by my statement. If you would care to furnish an example of a team that achieved greatness purely through lottery picks, and not by players growing through adversity, it may lend some credence to your argument. But right now you are just throwing up straw men - you are addressing player perceptions (an area which you know nothing about - your theory is based entirely on assumption) rather than fact that all players, regardless of how good they were coming into the league, had to learn to win at this level. Even the great ones.

Perhaps it would be easier for young players to jump ship and run to a bigger market for the greener grass, but Kevin Durant didn't do it. He recognized that something good was happening. Yeah, there are a handful of prima donnas and me-first guys in the NBA, but the assumption that all players are that way is short sighted.

Besides, if you are right, and Utah just doesn't have what it takes, and players don't want to stay, then it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter whether we get good draft picks. All our good players will leave anyway, right? So, in that case, it's still better to make the playoffs than get a lottery pick. So, thanks for supporting my point.