What's new

What’s the point of this season?

Some pretty bumpable posts in this thread after the win.

If Keyonte ends up being just as good as Scoot, then you’d be forced to upgrade your conclusion about last season. And if Tay Heny ends up a good player….

And, look, besides either of those things, providing a context for Lauri to break out—and for him to know he’s broken out—is pretty substantial in itself.

This year is about patience.
I think George can be a better option than Scoot, the things that's got to be there are there indeed, lets wait and see...
I'll upgrade conclusions if, in addition, Hendricks ends up being a solid starter large forward (I don't think it will happen but....)
And Sensabaugh may end up being a good piece too...
Even so, a real shot at Wembanyama shouldn't have been ignored.
It was bad business. Too much smartness probably. Too much misplaced "culture" thinking when a large part of this roster won't be there if the day arrives to fight for it all.
Las season was tanking and technical, tactical individual development for some dudes (including the coaching staff).
This year should be about the same. But it wont be, and evidence will continue to pile up signaling the obvious 3 or 4 years ahead, when we end up far away from the bottom but not close enough of the top (again).
Anyway, don't worry, I will save my own-poo-poo cup for later... just in case!

I think George can be a better option than Scoot, the things that's got to be there are there indeed, lets wait and see...
I'll upgrade conclusions if, in addition, Hendricks ends up being a solid starter large forward (I don't think it will happen but....)
It was bad business. Too much smartness probably. Too much misplaced "culture" thinking when a large part of this roster won't be there if the day arrives to fight for it all.
Las season was tanking and technical, tactical individual development for some dudes (including the coaching staff).
This year should be about the same. But it wont be, and evidence will continue to pile up signaling the obvious 3 or 4 years ahead, when we end up far away from the bottom but not close enough of the top (again).
Stop with this nonsense already. There was no way we could have gotten Wemby. We won 15 games more than the team who had the correct odds. FIFTEEN.

But had we tanked harder we could very likely be fingers crossed hoping Anthony Black becomes playable while Keyonte would be lighting it up elsewhere. No way we draft both with all the young guards we already had.

I may have to eat crow. I still kind of think they will be a bottom feeder but that was an impressive win. I thought they would lose. Fortunately, I did a B.S. statement that they would be 5-5 so I could say I believed them but honestly I thought they stink big time and they showed me that there is something there.

Credit Hardy and the players to do whatever it takes. I am sorry Kessler is getting less minutes and Sexton is not finishing games but they are still helping the team. Both of those guys just add the three ball at a high level and things will change for you

Stop with this nonsense already. There was no way we could have gotten Wemby. We won 15 games more than the team who had the correct odds. FIFTEEN.

But had we tanked harder we could very likely be fingers crossed hoping Anthony Black becomes playable while Keyonte would be lighting it up elsewhere. No way we draft both with all the young guards we already had.
And Black stunk in the pre season and got a DNPCD last night on a garbage non playoff team.

You totally skipped saying anything about Lauri, and he was actually the main point in the post of mine that you quoted.

So let me reiterate this for everyone:
Before last season started, the Jazz brass did not know that they had one of the most valuable, young, pure-shooting 7 footers in the league. Now, not only do they know this, but Lauri himself knows this, and brings that swag to his daily grind. And, on top of all of this, the Jazz have their hands on a lot of levers that will make it likely that Lauri plays here for several years.

This all happened in the first year of a rebuild.

And while this was happening, a war chest of good draft assets was stocked.

So, in the end, while I wish that DA had addressed the roster’s deficit in playmaking, the overall picture here is pretty great one year into a rebuild. I’m not gonna get twisted here.

You totally skipped saying anything about Lauri, and he was actually the main point in the post of mine that you quoted.

So let me reiterate this for everyone:
Before last season started, the Jazz brass did not know that they had one of the most valuable, young, pure-shooting 7 footers in the league. Now, not only do they know this, but Lauri himself knows this, and brings that swag to his daily grind. And, on top of all of this, the Jazz have their hands on a lot of levers that will make it likely that Lauri plays here for several years.

This all happened in the first year of a rebuild.

And while this was happening, a war chest of good draft assets was stocked.

So, in the end, while I wish that DA had addressed the roster’s deficit in playmaking, the overall picture here is pretty great one year into a rebuild. I’m not gonna get twisted here.
Ya, Ainge has been killing it so far. He might be the GOAT

I prefer taking a chance on guys in that mold as well. Like this guy would cost one pick (and a decent sized extension) but might already be a borderline AS type in the right situation. Then with 1st round picks hope to find a star. Its all low percentage bet type of stuff so anyone can poke holes. When/if Luka becomes available he will have 1-2 years left on his deal and will cost a ton and very likely will not give any assurances on a contract extension. Will DA take that bet (if it even becomes a thing)?

The other guy we were rumored to go for was Herro. He's a polarizing player, but he's definitely in that same mold of a borderline AS guy in the right situation. At least in some people's eyes. Once upon a time John Collins was that guy, and he's only 26. I think the truth is the Jazz don't really care much about tanking or making the playoffs, they're just looking for good deals. But when push comes to shove, I do think we'll go and get our pick just like last season.

By giving big minutes to Olynyk, Clarkson, Lauri, etc?
How many minutes did those three get last game? Also, benching them makes them harder to trade for good value (the rebuilding part of my post that you apparently didn't see)

Oh, so now we're rebuilding and developing. What were the first 20 games about?
Well since hardy had like a 10 man rotation in the first 20 games I would say rebuilding and developing.